Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#149349 - 09/17/08 02:57 PM Re: Disaster Proofing the Grid?? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

doesn't even have to go that far, just some thought into placement would help. My old house the lines beside it were placed right through the center of the trees. So after the big ice storm of 2005 which knocked out power for most everyone they came by and completely butchered the tree. Well fast forward to 2008 the tree recovered and grew back around the lines and tore them down in a big wind. There is a big wide open field beside the trees that they could run the wires and not have to pay someone overtime to come trim the tree after a disaster and have to pay someone else overtime to replace the wires.

#149386 - 09/17/08 07:00 PM Re: Disaster Proofing the Grid?? [Re: Eugene]
CAP613 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: W. PA
How abuot we decenterise the power system so the power does not have to be moved as far. This would reduce the need for power mains except for industry. I think for many homes a solar/wind system could provide much of the needed power and that would also help reduce the load on the gird system. Keeping the power line right of ways clear seems to help as far as damage to the lines. Iknow it has helped around here. Putting as much as possiable underground would help but it is harder to service and so if your power does go out it will be out longer. Just a thought.

#149409 - 09/17/08 09:04 PM Re: Disaster Proofing the Grid?? [Re: Grouch]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Originally Posted By: Grouch
What is a smooth shingle?

Sorry i didn't explain that very well, not an architectural shingle just a plain three tab shingle.

#149427 - 09/17/08 11:39 PM Re: Disaster Proofing the Grid?? [Re: RayW]
RobertRogers Offline
Survivor

Underground homes make excellent sense on many levels, from cost of materials to insulation to saving land space for greenery, to safety from hurricanes and tornados. The list goes on. Even the lowly rodent is smart enough to make its abode underground.

And man? Much to intelligent to do something like that. Man would rather fight with nature. Guess who wins?

#149430 - 09/17/08 11:48 PM Re: Disaster Proofing the Grid?? [Re: RobertRogers]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: RobertRogers
And man? Much to intelligent to do something like that. Man would rather fight with nature. Guess who wins?

Overall I would say Man is winning. There are 7-billion of us on the planet and the number is going up every day.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#149431 - 09/18/08 12:34 AM Re: Disaster Proofing the Grid?? [Re: RobertRogers]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Underground homes make excellent sense on many levels, from cost of materials to insulation to saving land space for greenery, to safety from hurricanes and tornados. The list goes on. Even the lowly rodent is smart enough to make its abode underground.

I think in some places this would be pretty dangerous... floods, earthquakes, etc?

I'd go for an underground house here we don't get many earthquakes and they are pretty small at that (Nor-CA) but it would need to be over engineered to make me happy.

#149451 - 09/18/08 05:10 AM Re: Disaster Proofing the Grid?? [Re: ]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: ToddW

I think in some places this would be pretty dangerous... floods, earthquakes, etc?

I'd go for an underground house here we don't get many earthquakes and they are pretty small at that (Nor-CA) but it would need to be over engineered to make me happy.

An underground house on the top of a big hill in a non-earthquake zone and non flood plain, sure. Lol.

And non-fire zone smile

SWEEET!

#149459 - 09/18/08 10:42 AM Re: Disaster Proofing the Grid?? [Re: CAP613]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: CAP613
How abuot we decenterise the power system so the power does not have to be moved as far. This would reduce the need for power mains except for industry. I think for many homes a solar/wind system could provide much of the needed power and that would also help reduce the load on the gird system. Keeping the power line right of ways clear seems to help as far as damage to the lines. Iknow it has helped around here. Putting as much as possiable underground would help but it is harder to service and so if your power does go out it will be out longer. Just a thought.

A lot of people are going the cheap route and putting in grid tied solar and wind systems. The problem with those is the local grids are not sized to handle it so those need upgraded as well.

#149463 - 09/18/08 11:59 AM Re: Disaster Proofing the Grid?? [Re: Eugene]
CAP613 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: W. PA
Your are right and a grid tied system does you very little good in an emergency because as I understand it the inverter stops working if the grid power goes off to protect the utility workers.

#149464 - 09/18/08 12:03 PM Re: Disaster Proofing the Grid?? [Re: CAP613]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Not just that, but since there is no storage in a grid tied you have all that capability to generate power but no way to utilize it.
But the local grid also needs upgraded since your now sharing power rather than just pulling down a bit for yourself.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 344 Guests and 90 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.