Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#150155 - 09/26/08 05:14 AM Brigade homeland tour
LED Offline
Veteran

Politics aside, this is an interesting development. Does this portend a bumpy future? Looks like some are anticipating just that.

Quote:

Beginning Oct. 1 for 12 months, the 1st BCT will be under the day-to-day control of U.S. Army North, the Army service component of Northern Command, as an on-call federal response force for natural or manmade emergencies and disasters, including terrorist attacks.

It is not the first time an active-duty unit has been tapped to help at home. In August 2005, for example, when Hurricane Katrina unleashed hell in Mississippi and Louisiana, several active-duty units were pulled from various posts and mobilized to those areas.

But this new mission marks the first time an active unit has been given a dedicated assignment to NorthCom, a joint command established in 2002 to provide command and control for federal homeland defense efforts and coordinate defense support of civil authorities.

After 1st BCT finishes its dwell-time mission, expectations are that another, as yet unnamed, active-duty brigade will take over and that the mission will be a permanent one.

The 1st BCT’s soldiers also will learn how to use “the first ever nonlethal package that the Army has fielded,” 1st BCT commander Col. Roger Cloutier said, referring to crowd and traffic control equipment and nonlethal weapons designed to subdue unruly or dangerous individuals without killing them.

“It’s a new modular package of nonlethal capabilities that they’re fielding. They’ve been using pieces of it in Iraq, but this is the first time that these modules were consolidated and this package fielded, and because of this mission we’re undertaking we were the first to get it.”

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2008/09/army_homeland_090708w/

#150157 - 09/26/08 08:59 AM Re: Brigade homeland tour [Re: LED]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
It looks to me that if we do have a bumpy future, we will be forced to obey!!

I've noticed several interesting gov't contracts being let over the last couple of years that are coming to fuition now.

I'm sure that it is just a series of coincidences!!!

#150161 - 09/26/08 11:59 AM Re: Brigade homeland tour [Re: wildman800]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
In this context, the military is just a useful, powerful, but potentially very dangerous tool. The question is, will those who wield the tool use it properly, or not?

The mission at home, as described, could be very helpful and important, but isn't that what we have a National Guard for?

Personally, I've always wondered how the military would respond if given orders to act domestically in some manner that raises serious Constitutional concerns.

Jeff

#150162 - 09/26/08 12:05 PM Re: Brigade homeland tour [Re: Jeff_M]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
. . .Personally, I've always wondered how the military would respond if given orders to act domestically in some manner that raises serious Constitutional concerns.

Jeff
Hopefully we won't find out. . . film at eleven.

#150180 - 09/26/08 04:48 PM Re: Brigade homeland tour [Re: Jeff_M]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
The mission at home, as described, could be very helpful and important, but isn't that what we have a National Guard for?

The opposite question is also important--is it appropriate to send so many National Guard (and their equipment) overseas for so long, too, making them unavailable when situations arise in their home states? Like Lousiana after Katrina.

#150182 - 09/26/08 05:07 PM Re: Brigade homeland tour [Re: Arney]
Mike_in_NKY Offline

Loc: KY
Perhaps a posting to ensure a minimum period out of the sandbox?

#150191 - 09/26/08 09:07 PM Re: Brigade homeland tour [Re: LED]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
The mission of NorCom in general makes me uncomfortable. But this is far from the first time military personnel have been tasked with domestic law enforcement. The plan are on the book, have been for a century. *shrugs*

But I have to openly mock the comment about "the first ever nonlethal package that the Army has fielded". Sorry... I guess someone missed the use of less lethal kinetics in Bosnia, Somalia, and to some degree, Iraq, along with the use of irritant agents going back decades earlier.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#150194 - 09/26/08 09:45 PM Re: Brigade homeland tour [Re: ironraven]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
the first ever nonlethal package that the Army has fielded

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines01/0302-01.htm

Ever wanted to feel whats it like sitting in a microwave oven. No tin foil hats this time but overall tin foil body protection required. Just remember to turn around 5-10 times a minute to ensure that you're evenly done.. eek whistle

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (09/27/08 12:17 PM)

#150197 - 09/26/08 10:12 PM Re: Brigade homeland tour [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
If I WAS wearing my tinfoil hat, I'd say it's a pretty lucky coincidence that all the local boys in the guard are out of the country and it's the non-local troops that would be asked to do the nasty. It's easier to put down unrest if it's not your cousin Earl being the dissident. Hmm, the troops are also pretty used to having indigenous terrorists being the enemy.
But, since I'm just wearing my cotton beanie today, I won't think things like that laugh

#150202 - 09/26/08 11:12 PM Re: Brigade homeland tour [Re: LED]
Matt Offline

Loc: Texas

Quote:

as an on-call federal response force for natural or manmade emergencies and disasters, including terrorist attacks.

I thought this was the idea for bring many organizations under the department of Homeland Security. Besides, aren't those tasks for FEMA or other federal law enforcement?

#150226 - 09/27/08 04:38 AM Re: Brigade homeland tour [Re: Matt]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Matt

I thought this was the idea for bring many organizations under the department of Homeland Security. Besides, aren't those tasks for FEMA or other federal law enforcement?

I'm a bit confused as well. Reading the article again it seems to be a type of "dwell-time" rapid reaction force with expertise in dealing with civil unrest. As I understand it they're attempting to make use of servicemember's skills in between deployments, or keep them on-call if you will. Doesn't really make sense to me to add yet another agency to the domestic crisis response mix but what do I know?

Quote:

The package includes equipment to stand up a hasty road block; spike strips for slowing, stopping or controlling traffic; shields and batons; and, beanbag bullets.

The brigade will not change its name, but the force will be known for the next year as a CBRNE Consequence Management Response Force, or CCMRF (pronounced “sea-smurf”).

Should personnel be needed at an earthquake in California, for example, all or part of the brigade could be scrambled there, depending on the extent of the need and the specialties involved.

#150230 - 09/27/08 10:49 AM Re: Brigade homeland tour [Re: LED]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Am_Fear, you missed my point. This is a new toy. But not a new kind of toy.

And yeah, the more reading I do on this posting, the more nervous I am about an October surprise.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#150847 - 10/03/08 11:40 PM Re: Brigade homeland tour [Re: ironraven]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
So, I immediately thought of this thread when I watched this video.
Coincidence?
wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 164 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.