The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#148076 - 09/09/08 01:12 PM Farmer's Almanac-"Expect a Catastrophic Winter"
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
The Farmer's Almanac is predicting a "Normal" winter for the SE USA, but a Catastrophic Winter for the Northern USA and all of Canada.

I am expecting thicker ice to contend with as I work the Illinois River. I am taking my winter and Arctic gear to the boat when I return to it. I already have a BoB that stays on the boat along with my basic CBR gear.

I know what OBG's solution is: Go south to Arizona for the winter and that's a truly great plan. Not all of us have that option though.

I would like to know what Our Northern ETS'ers think about that prediction and what preparations they are making for such a harsh winter.

#148081 - 09/09/08 01:20 PM Re: Farmer's Almanac-"Expect a Catastrophic Winter [Re: wildman800]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: wildman800
I would like to know what Our Northern ETS'ers think about that prediction and what preparations they are making for such a harsh winter.

Last spring I looked as a book at a checkout in a store, they were predicting a wet summer, it’s been very dry here, all the grass is brown and ¾ dead. I don’t put much in what they say.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#148082 - 09/09/08 01:20 PM Re: Farmer's Almanac-"Expect a Catastrophic Winter" [Re: wildman800]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...Go south to Arizona for the winter...Not all of us have that option..."

I'm sorry. That is one of the greatest things about retiredment...

#148089 - 09/09/08 01:50 PM Re: Farmer's Almanac-"Expect a Catastrophic Winter" [Re: OldBaldGuy]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

I live in Florida, so I guess it will be a "frigid" 70° to 80° for us, with about 12-14 days of arctic 30s to 50s.....
Ironically the misses who hates Florida, not that I'm a big fan either, want to move someplace else.... like Alaska. She wants a complete 180° turnaround from the weather we have here. Personally I'm suggesting Maine or Vermont to keep the cost of living down. Now to save up or win the lottery *rolls eyes*

-Bill Liptak

#148098 - 09/09/08 02:31 PM Re: Farmer's Almanac-"Expect a Catastrophic Winter" [Re: wildman800]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: wildman800

Checking my 2 furnaces (professionally), storing more firewood, making sure my propane tanks are full - emergency heat sources, buying 1.5 times my normal rock salt, winterizing my Yukon and making sure my tires and battery are good, checking the snow shovels and ice spuds to see they are in good repair, making sure my winter clothes and boots are OK, buying clay cat liter for the Yukon - traction compound, will change to "winter" wiper fluid, will make sure shovel, tow straps, tire chains, snow brush/ice scrapers, extra winter clothes and boots are in the Yukon, add dry gas to my Yukon spare fluids. Change the batteries in all my flashlights to lithium. Add 2 sleeping bags, and candle lanterns/extra candles to the Yukon.

#148099 - 09/09/08 02:51 PM Re: Farmer's Almanac-"Expect a Catastrophic Winter" [Re: Stu]
Mike_in_NKY Offline

Loc: KY
Heard on the local news last night that there is a shortage of road salt and what is available is 2-3 times the price it was last year!

Better stock up now!

#148125 - 09/09/08 05:47 PM Re: Farmer's Almanac-"Expect a Catastrophic Winter" [Re: wildman800]
Ranter Offline

Loc: Wyoming
Living in an area that sees -30 with wind chill for days at a time I tend to always be prepared. That said, the truck got a new secondary gas tank last week making for 60 gallons of on board capacity and it gets new tires next week. I'll be cutting and splitting extra firewood this week while I'm on vacation. I'm too lazy and summer too short to rotate what I carry in the 4X4. My full compliment of tire chains, anchors for the winch, cold weather gear etc stays in there year round. (probably why it weighs almost 7000 lbs) smirk She's old and ugly but solid and tough too.

#148139 - 09/09/08 07:18 PM Re: Farmer's Almanac-"Expect a Catastrophic Winter" [Re: Ranter]
Shadow_oo00 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I bought a wood burner, stacking firewood, servicing the furnace, making sure I have plenty of gas for the generator, and kerosene for the stove's, bought a propane cook stove for the basement, canning this year, haven't put a lot up but working on it. Bought new winter pack boots and long johns. Since I have a cabin in NY now, thats a whole new ball game, is not air tight by any means, so I have a lot to still do up there, but from what they say I might not be getting back in there all that often, unless I find a reasonable priced snow mobile.

Prepare Or Not To Prepare That Is The Question. The Answer, You Better !!!

#149927 - 09/23/08 12:30 PM Re: Farmer's Almanac-"Expect a Catastrophic Winter" [Re: Shadow_oo00]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Cargil has a number of large SALT mines within a 50 mile radios of here. I'll check areount and see what I can find out.

I normally go through 2 80 pound bags a winter, this winter I plan on getting 5 50 pounders. I'm getting too darn old and broken up to fuss with the 80 pounders. tired

#150000 - 09/24/08 04:55 AM Re: Farmer's Almanac-"Expect a Catastrophic Winter" [Re: Stu]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Lets see here... haven't closed on the new place yet. Above snow line, needs a roof, wood stove only.. no wood.

Yep... we've got a LOT of work to do within a 2 month period or less frown

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.