Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#141958 - 07/29/08 12:13 AM Re: 100 Pushups [Re: GarlyDog]
Fabio Offline
Stranger

Loc: Brasília, Brazil

Hello Blast,

Thanks for the link! I seems a litle bit difficult do achive the 100 pull ups in 6 weeks, but I think it is completely achievable with some more weeks of training. I also like Canoeing an kayaking (and hiking and montain climbing as well, and I´m going to include this pull ups sequence in my training routine.

Do You know this guide?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/8929/ebook-pdf-healthus-navy-seal-physical-fitness-guide

I think that this is quite useful when training for outdoor activities. I particulary liked the chapter 10 (load bearing)and chapter 11 (training for especific environments) on aclimation.

Fabio

#141959 - 07/29/08 12:16 AM Re: 100 Pushups [Re: Blast]
Hookpunch Offline

I like the workout, although I would mix up the push ups, standard, double shoulder width, hands in front, hands close in under the centre of your chest, push-ups with your fingers pointing
towards your toes and "divebomber" pushups like here

http://www.trainforstrength.com/ex-1.shtml

I agree with the previous posts though, I am not sure push-ups will do much for your strength but they are great for endurance.

#141984 - 07/29/08 02:13 AM Re: 100 Pushups [Re: Hookpunch]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

Pushups are pretty good for upper body strength...in so far that you will have stronger triceps and chest muscles. Of all the exercises you can do, this requires the least equipment, and is a good start (and foundation) for upper body strength. Give them a whirl and if they work for you, try to work in other upper body exercises later. The nice thing about push ups is you can do them almost anywhere, anytime, without hardly any preparation.

It is true, "no pain, no gain". You have to tear the muscle to build it. The trick however is to tear it just enough. Your workouts should be intense enough that you feel some soreness after wards, but you should be fully recovered (no pain) after your rest period. So if you do your thing Monday, feel sore, rest and recover on Tuesday, and are ready to go again on Wednesday, you've hit the right pace. Exercising sore muscles is counterproductive, and potentially harmful (Better to stretch on a day you are sore than exercise). This is why it is better to start out really slow, and slowly work your way into a cycle where you are pushing yourself with allowances for recovery, rather than going for broke out of the gate and not being able to button your shirt for 4 days.

US Army minimum for an 18 year old male was 42 continuous push-ups in 2 minutes (IIRC circa 1990). Maximum score was 82 (And this was fairly easily attainable by the more athletic types). So 100 continuous is a fairly high but attainable goal, and certainly if you reach this level, I would strive to maintain it while branching out into more diverse exercises (pullups, rows, shoulder presses, etc).

Hope it works out for you, and I am looking forward to hearing your results.

Re,

C. Rowe

#142018 - 07/29/08 11:46 AM Re: 100 Pushups [Re: Crowe]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Kyaking and canoeing require lat strength. If you are interested in building strength for those two activities, I stongly recommend pullups or rope climbing. You will be amazed how much you will gain from those exercises.

#142028 - 07/29/08 01:22 PM Re: 100 Pushups [Re: Blast]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Pushups are good. Along with other exercises. The military has been building bodies with calisthenics for years. But. I have never considered myself to be particularly strong, even tho I dug ditches and worked in oil derricks in my younger days. But I have always been able to do a lot of pushups. As a freshman in high school I set a school record (for my age), did 100 pushups with a 3/4 inch plywood cutout strapped to my chest, waist, thighs, and ankles (to make sure I kept my body straight), touching my chest to the floor for every one. Yet I couldn't lift all that much weight in my neighbors garage gym...

#142051 - 07/29/08 02:59 PM Re: 100 Pushups [Re: Blast]
ohiohiker Offline
found in the wilderness
Journeyman

Loc: Ohio
I'm far from an expert, having just gotten into weight training myself this year...

I think this plan is much better than not doing anything, but unless the pushups are done with weight or position so that you can only do no more than 6, you're working more on muscle mass building or endurance rather than strength.

Once you've done about 15 reps in one set, then you're building endurance and tone more than strength.

From the Weight Training for Dummies book, blush I've learned these general guidelines:

Endurance
12+ reps
30 sec max rest between sets
2-3 sets
increase reps progressively

Size
6-15 reps
30-90 sec rest
3-6 sets
lift weight to near failure at last rep
increase weight 10% once you can lift 15 reps to muscle failure

Strength
6 or less reps
2-5 min rest
2-6 sets
lift weight to near failure at last rep
increase weight 10% once you can lift 5-6 reps to muscle failure

Edit:
Pushups aren't going to help build the muscles for the activities you mention as well as more specific exercises done with free weights or a machine. I'd get a set of dumbell bars and plate weights so that you can adjust the weight as you progress. A machine would be convenient if you have the money and space for it.

Edited by ohiohiker (07/29/08 03:04 PM)

#142527 - 08/01/08 06:35 PM Re: 100 Pushups [Re: Blast]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
As for the strenght training and conditioning this is my favorite source: http://www.rosstraining.com/

Lots of good info with focus on simple equipment and using your body as a weight. Very inspirational videos there. For example this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX2M-kb-TIE&feature=related

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdthWDUEKtY

#142534 - 08/01/08 07:15 PM Re: 100 Pushups [Re: raptor]
JohnnyRocket Offline
Stranger

Wow - lots of opinions and advice on this topic!! How many can you do? Take the test and tell us how you did. I did 35.

I am 42 years old, 6', 205lbs.

Tom

#142541 - 08/01/08 08:37 PM Re: 100 Pushups [Re: Blast]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Its a great idea! I got to 100 sit-ups using a similar system

#142542 - 08/01/08 08:37 PM Re: 100 Pushups [Re: JohnnyRocket]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Dam, that's a lot of pushups! Good job!

I'll be doing the test this evening after the girls are in bed. Y'all will have a good laugh waiting for you tomorrow. blush

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

Page 3 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 369 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.