The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#149791 - 09/21/08 10:40 PM Re: Best Survival Compass [Re: comms]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: comms
real GI issue compass with tritium is the ultimate standard. The only drawback is no declination, but you can write that on the map as a reminder. Second place is Silva Ranger. Buy one of those and your set for life.

I have a USGI lensatic. I don't use it much. The sights and mil scale comes in handy calling in fire but I really don't do much of that any more. In practical terms it really doesn't work any better or more accurately than the Silva.

Also the USGI lensatic compass is at least three times the weight of the Silva and it is a very bulky unit that doesn't fit neatly into a pocket. And now that the tritium has hit its half-life, at least once, the glow isn't much better than the twenty year old Silva. Unlike the Silva, which can be exposed to light and recharged, the tritium in the USGI lensatic can't. What you have is what you get.

Now if I was going to be parachuted into Congo alone I wouldn't carry a Silva, I would carry two. Just in case I lose one. And both together wouldn't weigh as much or take up as much room as as one USGI lensatic.

#149881 - 09/22/08 08:29 PM Re: Best Survival Compass [Re: colbyhouse]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
What about Swiss army compass by Recta? I don´t have one but it caught my eye. This will probably be the compass I will get for the tasks where my EDC Suunto Clipper won´t suffice. I like how you can directly aim it like a gun and still read the bearing in the mirror below.
It´s also protected by the box.

I have found review with nice pictures - sorry, only in Czech language but you can see how it operates from the pictures: http://www.svetoutdooru.cz/clanek/?107289-busoly-dp-recta

Suunto manufactures compass of the identical design . Recta is a member of Suunto Group by the way.

Another link: http://www.modernoutpost.com/gear/details/ra_dp2_standard.php

#149887 - 09/22/08 09:28 PM Re: Best Survival Compass [Re: raptor]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
The advantage of the mirror on top like on a Brunton 15TDCL and copycats is that it can also be used as a signal mirror or for veiwing one's own face (to check on injuries). In survival gear multi-purpose is a good thing.

Its my understanding that the mirrors on the bottom aren't available for such uses without damaging the compass, though I haven't seen one in person in a long while - can't remember if the mirror swings out or not.

I've given the lensatic compasses an honest try, spending the big bucks for the Cammenga, but I just couldn't see why it is preferred over the 15TDCL. They are heavy, bulky, don't have any declination adjustment, and don't have a see-thru capsule (which is another problem with the mirror-on-the-bottom compasses).

I'm sure the military has its good reasons - the idea of a fluidless capsule is interesting, but my own preference is still the Brunton 15TDCL.

#149900 - 09/22/08 11:55 PM Re: Best Survival Compass [Re: KenK]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
The mirror on the bottom matchbox type compass does not allow one to use the mirror for other uses. It will only fall out at the angle necessary to view the compass needle.

The mirror on the bottom compass (Recta matchbox) does indeed have a clear bottom and can be used just like a standard Ranger compass on the map...the mirror slides out when needed for sighting, but slides back into the matchbox when using it on the map.

The matchbox is a great compact compass, with its only real drawback that the mirror cannot be used for any other purpose.

There is no way I would consider a lensatic compass for most any need. Neat they are but impractical, heavy and not anywhere near as easy to use with a map as a good Ranger or standard baseplate compass is.

Edited by Schwert (09/22/08 11:56 PM)

#149906 - 09/23/08 12:51 AM Re: Best Survival Compass [Re: KenK]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Good Thoughts KenK,

Many, many times I have used the mirror on my Silva Ranger Type 15 when removing blackflies (and other forest crap) from my eyes (common occurance in May/June).

One evening last January I used it to look under my snowmobile engine to see if it was on fire! As it turned out I had blown a piston and the muffler was glowing red hot and just reflecting off the lake ice.

Mike

#149909 - 09/23/08 01:24 AM Re: Best Survival Compass [Re: Art_in_FL]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

I was wondering if Silva has made all of there models adjusted for magnetic dip through the 5 zones of is it just the Silva Voyager series. (see below article)

It's all in what you prefer I guess, I used the Cammenga in the military and it's been in Alaska to the Philippines and has been rock steady, but it is heavy and you could probably throw it at some body and put an eye out. I guess there are some things that we get use to and it's hard to part with but it's been a good little compass for me and I haven't got any needle sticking while traveling. I'll stay with ole faithful for me but it sounds like Silva may be it for you guys, just get one that will work in all 5 zones like the voyager series for example or a Suunto M-2G.

Geographic Magnetic Zones & Dip
The horizontal and vertical components of the earth's magnetic field vary considerably at different
locations on the Earth. This causes the compass needle to point down vertically into the Earth at
the magnetic poles – while the needle stays horizontal near the equator. This vertical magnetic
component is called Inclination or Dip.
To get an accurate reading from a compass, the needle or dial card needs to be ‘balanced’, so it does not drag on the top or bottom of the capsule. Because of the variations of the Earth's
magnetic field, a compass needle that ‘balances’ perfectly in North America will drag or stick in
South America. To accommodate for these magnetic variances, the compass industry has divided
the Earth into 5 Zones:
Compass Magnetic Zones
Zone 1: MN – (Magnetic North)
Zone 2: NME – (North Magnetic Equatorial)
Zone 3: ME – (Magnetic Equatorial)
Zone 4: SME – (South Magnetic Equatorial)
Zone 5: MS – (Magnetic South )

Most compasses are compensated for magnetic Inclination or Dip across these Zones by a
counterweight on one end of the needle. This keeps the needle level and prevents it from dragging
on the top or bottom of the capsule. Some compass manufacturers, Silva and Suunto for example,
offer normal models that are set for specific Zones – and ‘Global Dip-corrected’ compasses that
will operate just about anywhere.

Being a military specified piece of equipment, Cammenga Lensatic compasses are designed to
function anywhere in the world. Most of the compasses they manufacture are balanced for Zone 1
– but even these have been tested and used successfully even in Zone 5 by holding the compass
at a slight angle. However, Cammenga do supply models balanced specifically for the Southern
Hemisphere.

Added note: I added the bold letters so you could just read the highlights of the boringly long paragraph, I didn't want to think I was yelling or anything, I just wanted to make the point if your going to invest in a compass and plan on traveling out of country that it may be beneficial to get one that will work through the 5 zones.

#149957 - 09/23/08 08:47 PM Re: Best Survival Compass [Re: falcon5000]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

DON'T THROW YOUR COMPASS AS OTHER PEOPLE'S EYES!!

It is considered impolite in many cultures. :-)

I don't think Silva SE/Brunton have many truly global compasses - yet. If I understand correctly they have a global version of the 9020G - though its not listed on Brunton's site - only on Silva's site - and their Eclipse 8096 has a global needle. I've read someone say all the Eclipse models have global needles, but I have no confirmation of that.

The 15TDCL is NOT a global design. You'd need to buy the one made for each particular region.

#149967 - 09/23/08 09:59 PM Re: Best Survival Compass [Re: KenK]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Which is just another reason to take another look at the Suunto MC-2G.

#149976 - 09/23/08 11:26 PM Re: Best Survival Compass [Re: Russ]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Even the Suunto MC-2G can hurt pretty bad if you're hit just right.

#149980 - 09/23/08 11:51 PM Re: Best Survival Compass [Re: KenK]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
of course the best compass is the one you have when you need it. weight, mirror, global use, this or that the ability to use the compass whether it costs $14.99 or $79.99 is the most important thing.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.