The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#150767 - 10/03/08 12:19 AM Re: Digital TV [Re: BobS]
ki7he Offline

Loc: SW Idaho
Originally Posted By: BobS
The purpose of the switchover to digital TV is pure greed on the government’s part.

There is a very limited amount of radio spectrum, the low end is sound and the top end is light waves (sound, radio and light waves are basically the same thing only different frequencies.)

The government rents out space on the radio spectrum to whoever has enough money to buy its use.

Digital signals take up less space then analog signals. This translates to a lot more space to rent out and collect money for its use by the government.

There is no commercial gain for television networks from the push to go digital.

Couldn't disagree with this more. Not everything is a conspiricy. This is being done both to replace a 50 year old, inefficient technology that's way past its time and for the demand from the consumer for a far superior picture quality. This is apparently a bad forum to look for an example of people who do want everything in high-definition but I can assure there are a lot of people who have been demanding it.

As you say, there is a very limited amount of radio spectrum available. This itself justifies the switch to a format that uses a fraction of the spectrum while allowing the station to broadcast multiple channels (did you say "no commercial gain"?). This frees up the spectrum for the growing demand.

The money the government collects by "renting" out the spectrum is just a bonus. Since "the government" is you and I, I'd outraged if they didn't get as much as they can out of it for commercial use.

#150774 - 10/03/08 12:50 AM Re: Digital TV [Re: ki7he]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: ki7he
This is apparently a bad forum to look for an example of people who do want everything in high-definition but I can assure there are a lot of people who have been demanding it.

Then why did the TV stations and the people that make TV’s not come out with this before now instead of being forced by law on everyone by the government?

I have a carpet cleaning business; I’m in a large number of homes and businesses each week (sometimes up to 20 homes & businesses a week) I talk to my customers about all kinds of things, the digital issue being one of them. When the TV issue comes up, the answer to being asking is yea it’s nice to have a clearer picture, but it was not a big concern. (This tells me that the consumer was not driving this change.)

With everything that relates to the government and what it does, to get answers as to why it’s doing it.

Follow the money trail for it’s motivation. Do you know any politician or government agency would turn down an idea that will generate billions? I don’t, it’s a mythical beast.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#150782 - 10/03/08 02:49 AM Re: Digital TV [Re: BobS]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Quote:
Then why did the TV stations and the people that make TV’s not come out with this before now instead of being forced by law on everyone by the government?

Because we didn't know they could do it. I hadn't really heard anything about it until they announced the date for the change. The only thing I'd heard was third hand about five years before with no details of what they were proposing or the consumer equipment to support it.

Yes, it was specified by law. The law also specified that >85% of the population had to have access to cable or satellite reception before the date for switchover was set. IIRC even after that they delayed it at least once.

As far as HD goes, I want anything I can get in it.

#150783 - 10/03/08 03:06 AM Re: Digital TV [Re: UTAlumnus]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: UTAlumnus
Quote:

Because we didn't know they could do it. I hadn't really heard anything about it until they announced the date for the change.

This reinforced the government wanted it and not the public. If you don’t know about it, its kind of hard to demand it!

#150852 - 10/04/08 12:47 AM Re: Digital TV [Re: BobS]
sodak Offline
Addict

This just makes me laugh. The only effect for me will be taking my tv to the curb for the trashman to pick it up. I never -literally- watch it unless I'm watching a dvd. Buh - bye.

#150857 - 10/04/08 02:05 AM Re: Digital TV [Re: sodak]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

DVDs will still work with analog TVs. No need to toss the TV.

#150874 - 10/04/08 02:34 PM Re: Digital TV [Re: BobS]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Unless you are in the industry, had you heard anything very far ahead about DVD's before they came out? I know this isn't exactly an oranges-oranges comparison because digital was written into law but DVD's didn't require an infrastructure investment.

When I first heard of the switch, there wasn't any hardware out so I didn't really pay it any attention. Once more information and the hardware were both available, I was all for it. It doubled the channels I can receive without cable and the clarity went up significantly on the ones I could receive before.

The switchover and hardware availability could have been handled better. They should have required manufacturers to switch to producing TV's with digital receivers back when this was set up instead of shortly before the switch.

There is a learning curve to it just like there was with broadcast TV. After so many years with cable it took a while to get the antenna set just right.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.