Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#149745 - 09/21/08 01:10 AM submersible fire-making kit
nguf Offline
Stranger

I need a fire-making kit that will withstand deep immersion in saltwater. It's for my scuba survival belt. No, of course I can't use it while I'm on the water, but it would be useful if I manage to swim to shore or an island. Carbon steel will rust, and stainless steel doesn't make sparks (I'm told). Rubbing two sticks together takes too long, and requires skill I don't have. What two things can I use to strike against each other to produce sparks hot enough to make a fire?
Would quartz crystal & iron pyrite (fool's gold) work, or does iron pyrite rust?

#149747 - 09/21/08 01:14 AM Re: submersible fire-making kit [Re: nguf]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Try vacuum sealing a fero rod and striker set. Your dive knife should aldo be able to be used as a striker.

#149748 - 09/21/08 01:21 AM Re: submersible fire-making kit [Re: Stu]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
fero rod and striker in end of knife (cap) works for some knives.

#149751 - 09/21/08 02:38 AM Re: submersible fire-making kit [Re: ]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
All your normal fire starting stuff plus a candle and photon light.
Vac pac all of it then put it in an otter box.
You should include a signal mirror as well.
Or just get The Ritter kit, vac seal and put that
in the otter box with a candle and photon.
I like the extra candle and light because those are useful items that are just to large or expensive for the normal retail kit.
They take up very little room and if you are packing it all in an otter bx the the extra items will fit just fine.

#149752 - 09/21/08 02:57 AM Re: submersible fire-making kit [Re: frediver]
Angel Offline

Maybe a small magnifying glass would work.

#149760 - 09/21/08 01:15 PM Re: submersible fire-making kit [Re: nguf]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
In addition to waterproofing, remember that it will be subjected to considerable pressure at ??? depth. So anything that might be crushed will be. Maybe opt for solid stand alone things rather than things in a crushable container. I'm thinking along the lines of single items in one vacuum sealed pack, rather than a package in a vacuum sealed pack.

#149761 - 09/21/08 01:20 PM Re: submersible fire-making kit [Re: Angel]
ind_joe Offline
Stranger

PYRITE DOES RUST I FORGET WHAT IT'S CALLED BUT A HOLLOW TUBE
AND TIGHT PLUNGER ROD PUT SOME SORT OF FLUFFY MATERIAL IN TUBE
SLAM PLUNGER IN TUBE THEN PULL OUT FAST THE REACTION OF COMPRESS AIR RESULTS IN A EMBER TO PLACE IN YOUR BIRDS NEST BLOW TO FLAME

#149762 - 09/21/08 01:25 PM Re: submersible fire-making kit [Re: ind_joe]
gizmojumpjet Offline
Opposed to Bears

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
A ferro rod and some Wetfire or a magnesium tinder block will probably fit the bill.

#149768 - 09/21/08 04:42 PM Re: submersible fire-making kit [Re: gizmojumpjet]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I doubt the majority of divers go to depths where firemaking kits start replicating scenes from Das Boot. The only consideration is keeping the materials dry. To this end people forget GETTING THEM OUT. If you go with vacume packing cut some notches to facilitate cutting them open.I can't get most modern product wrapping open without a sawzall all these days. I don't want this problem in an emergency.

If I am starting a fire onshore after diving,or any activity I am likely fatigued and even hypothermic. Pilots have a phrase TUC 'Time of usefull consciousnes' the time to sort out a problem before passing out. Perhaps we need a TUF 'Time of usefull firemaking.'

This is no time for exotic Tom Sawyer " I can see in the dark" tricks since Becky Thatcher isn't there to be impressed anyway. Forget ice lens by moonlight or striking Kryptonite against a 420 A stainless dive knife.

Shorelines are by nature WET.My only experience contrary was the Malibu fire with live embers coming down like meteorites on e and some horses standing in the surf. My friction fire off Tillamook OR was a once in a lifetime, good luck,training and youth on my side event.

You want a small, reliable and tinder inclusive unit. I would suggest a SPARKLITE. I'd also suggest LIFEBOAT MATCHES with the caveat of those lousy striker tops that degrade.

I would also suggest two exercises. First make a dive with the SPARKLITE on your person, in whatever wrapping you choose.Even a vigorous pool swim should work. I think a quality zip bag with the air pressed out might suprise you. It did me ( I've tested it.)
The second exercise involves lots of ice, a sink and cleared counter with a small ceramic plate or whatever. You could even turn on the air conditioning full blast, set up a fan and turn off all the lights and draw the curtains closed.Your dog or cat can sit nearby, red eyes and growling replicating Bart the Bear. My cat is good at this, biting my ankle thinking I need a talk with the Shaman or something.
Now stick you hands in the sink full of icewater. Let them get COLD. Now make a fire with your chosen materials.
When your finsihed, sit down with your prefered hot beverage and read Jack London's TO BUILD A FIRE.
I think it's posted in the forum somewhere.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (09/21/08 04:49 PM)

#149776 - 09/21/08 06:58 PM Re: submersible fire-making kit [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Several fire starting methods are waterproof.

Military Magnesium stick

A Fire Steel

Candles with a Bic lighter or waterproof matches

Or make one of these, I make them and they are 100% waterproof and have built in tinder and a source of ignition.

Just below the stove in the picture. It’s a cardboard strip with strike anyplace matches dipped in wax.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 202 Guests and 19 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.