The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#149609 - 09/19/08 07:20 PM Lifejacket Critical Survival Items
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
I just finished an article on Critical Survival Items you can carry in a Lifejacket. The basic scenario is you are standing on the side of a wilderness river or lake: cold, wet, possibly injured, and likely hypothermic. What should you be carrying in you lifejacket to help you survive. Here are a few of the pictures from the article.

The article is at: Lifejacket Critical Survival Items. The article contains additional pictures and my explanations for the choices that I made.

I look forward to hearing what additions and deletions everyone thinks should me made. Remember that I wisely limited myself to using and not modifying a Coast Guard approved lifejacket and we can't carry handguns up here in Canada (at least us non-criminal types).
boreal.net

#149615 - 09/19/08 07:51 PM Re: Lifejacket Critical Survival Items [Re: BruceZed]
Johno Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Scotland
Admittedly I only speed read your article, I didn't see a strobe or PLB mentioned.

#149619 - 09/19/08 08:12 PM Re: Lifejacket Critical Survival Items [Re: Johno]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Good article and site link Bruce,

CANOEDOGS did a similar post a while ago found here
http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=10186&Number=115815#Post115815 and feedback here http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=10191&Number=115895#Post115895

I understand that you are really tight for space in the pockets of a lifejacket, but would there be any room for the following useful items?

- AMK Heetsheet Blanket
- small knife sharpener (emery cloth or diamond sharpener)
- water purification tablets
- water container (plastic/mylar bag)
- insect repellent
- marine flare or strobe

Mike

#149624 - 09/19/08 09:29 PM Re: Lifejacket Critical Survival Items [Re: BruceZed]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Hi Bruce. Nice set-up for the PFD. I only have one pocket on my PFD but have a second mesh pocket on my paddling jacket which can also hold a number of items. And of course I normally wear some sort of cargo pants/shorts. One thing I don't see in the kit is any sort of extra vision! I don't know about others but I am getting increasingly reliant on reading glasses and so I always store a set on my person -- it's really the only way I can read maps nowadays.

#149625 - 09/19/08 09:56 PM Re: Lifejacket Critical Survival Items [Re: BruceZed]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Good kit considering the size constraints which are a significant limitation.
Quote:
What Critical Items I did not Include in the Lifejacket Kit

I left out a number of very useful items. Mostly they were left out because they could not fit in the two pockets. Some gear was inappropriate because it would be carried elsewhere in my Canoe. Duplication of survival equipment means that you end up carrying to much extra gear and never using it. Completely missing is any Clothing, a Bowsaw, a Cooking Pot, and Water Purification Equipment. The item that I miss the most is food, I use to take a few bars (roughly 500 KCal) along for quick energy in a crisis, but I had a rodent eat a hole in my last lifejacket one night and since then have removed any type of food from my lifejacket.

A PLB would be great because the first thing I'd be looking for in that situation is a way out of it. Obviously no room for that item.

Another item I thought was missing is a good signal mirror, but that's included in the Ritter PSP.

Hopefully an itinerary was left with someone and you will be missed.

#149626 - 09/19/08 09:59 PM Re: Lifejacket Critical Survival Items [Re: Roarmeister]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Interesting - I'd do something similar with a fishing PFD. More pockets including a large one on the back.

Where I go its all about staying warm;

- fleece hat
- Platypus water bag, purifying pills
- spare vision devices ( contacts, glasses)
tro

( I'd also have a zip-shut pocket on my shorts and safety pin it shut as well.)

Edited by TeacherRO (09/19/08 10:03 PM)

#149627 - 09/19/08 10:33 PM Re: Lifejacket Critical Survival Items [Re: TeacherRO]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Are extra/spare vision devices considered critical survival items? I guess they could be if you were seriously near sighted and as was mentioned they could be critical in reading a map; but is the map itself a critical survival item? I imagine that depends on the definition of critical.

I have a magnifying glass to use for reading maps and other things. I use off the shelf 1.25 reading glasses and sometimes they aren't quite enough for the small print.

The question for this thread is that if there is a significant space limitation, do reading glasses have a high enough priority to bump something else out? Are the glasses critical or nice to have?

#149628 - 09/19/08 10:33 PM Re: Lifejacket Critical Survival Items [Re: TeacherRO]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

One degree of compass error = 92' in one mile. The vikings managed to hit Canada's eastern shore with a lot less in the form of a lodestone and the story of Saint Brendan the navigator.
Personally, I want more than a magnetised bit of iron and some irish priest's word. Some people would look at your Mora as a 'toy' also. Put the button back in. It's better than nothing.

And nothing is your main consideration. Have you jumped from a highboard into a pool with this rig on? my one Lifejacket kit use was at Tilllamook Bay Oregon. I was a rescue swimmer and managed to get 3 people to shore in the rapidly fading light. My survival belt with all my kit was rippped off. I had my secondary Camillus folding sailor's knife inside my wetsuit on a paracord lanyard and little else.

Somehow I managed to make a friction fire courtesy of some dry wood and coals from an recent beach campfire and a really lousy spindle and board. The Oregon Coast isn't exactly noted for the dry conditions in Arizona when i learned firemaking as a little boy.

You try to explain to a screaming CPO your knife,strobe light,penflares and Lifeboat matches were in the Pacific Ocean, the MK 1 Lifejacket was less than exemplary and when you're done castigating californians, I think my left hand is broken.

#149629 - 09/19/08 10:50 PM Re: Lifejacket Critical Survival Items [Re: Johno]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
I carry a SPOT Beacon, but it was to big for the lifejacket so it goes in my Olive Jar
boreal.net

#149630 - 09/19/08 10:51 PM Re: Lifejacket Critical Survival Items [Re: BruceZed]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

My bad, I thought you were gearing up for overboard in the ocean, if it's a lake then your signal group is fine. I would not recommend your kit for any ocean adventures for the signal group. I would recommend a PLB though.

Your waterproof primary lighter, I would add a small FOV with extra lighter fluid and a ferrorod. Army firesteel FOB

Shelter, I would add a GoLite Poncho Tarp, very light weigh,small and longer than normal ponchos for using it as a tarp. (it has tie down points built in) Poncho shelter

Get rid of the cord you have and go with 25 feet of military grade type IV parachute cord.

Add 1 guyotdesigns (worth there weight in gold) water bottle and put some of your smaller kits in this bottle.
This bottle will allow you to cook food, signal and boil water in it, you can store some of your kits inside it when not in use (it will be waterproof inside of the bottle) and will merge into the space some of your kits are in.
Water bottle

Some of your gear (like your first aid kit for example) is not waterproof plus in your scenario everything will be soaking wet so your first priority will be shelter and fire, so that means shedding the cloths and I would put a MSR ultra lite towel in your kit (waterproof everything of course) to dry off as quick as possible before getting into a heat bag. Time for hypothermia is critical when dealing with cold weather.

Although I haven't tried one but Doug recommend it was the Land Shark Bivy though (I'm a poncho liner man myself but you would not have the room for a military poncho liner)for use in to quickly build back body heat. NEW Military issue poncho liners!!

Hand warmer and glow stick are extra weight and can be replaced with a strobe with extra set of batteries. It will last you a lot longer and can be seen at night allot further out. (strobes at night are worth their weight in gold) If you have room for hand warmers and stick then fine but it's extra weight and space IMHO.

Although this one is big (I can't remember where I saw a smaller version of a waterproof wind up light) but you'll get the idea. Batteries will fail so you would want another source of power rather solar, wind up or what have you.
Waterproof wind uo flashlight

Other options if the ocean is involved.

Rescuestreamer

ACR Firefly 2 waterbug 200ft depth

ACR PLB

Edited by falcon5000 (09/20/08 12:38 AM)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 239 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.