The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#149491 - 09/18/08 03:42 PM Re: BOB Philosophy [Re: BobS]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I use my BoB for 2 & 3 day backpacking/camping trips.

You're right about getting it to be more practical and useful by exercising it !!

#149504 - 09/18/08 05:54 PM Re: BOB Philosophy [Re: thatguyjeff]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

I always plan for the absolute worst case scenario. This means an indefinite length of time. I have some food in my BOB to get me through the first few days, but after that it's all about what I can hunt/trap/forage/scavenge. And I've packed the equipment that will help me do those things more successfully.

#149535 - 09/18/08 10:40 PM Re: BOB Philosophy [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I keep TP in my BOB. I also keep at least two rolls in each of my vehicles and ATV. I have/keep hand sanitizer in my BOB and soap in my vehicles. In my truck and Jeep I even keep the gritty-hand soap.

I use my "BOB" and other packs on trips too, not just for emergency.. you really learn what you need.

#149537 - 09/18/08 11:00 PM Re: BOB Philosophy [Re: Stu]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
I've put the small pack of baby wipes in the house BOB (keep a pack in my fatboy for EDC as well).

Something I've been looking at as well is P-Pals (cardboard funnels for women) I've got two of them (women) in the house and they've both frowned at me for suggesting it, but I think when push comes to shove they would thank me for it.

#149541 - 09/18/08 11:08 PM Re: BOB Philosophy [Re: Arney]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Originally Posted By: Arney
Originally Posted By: thatguyjeff
That got me thinking that perpaps the BOB is intended only for transit...

I wouldn't get too hung up about the definition of "bug out". It means different things to different people and situations. Bugging out 100 miles before a hurricane makes landfall two days from now is different than when you're woken up in the middle of the night by the smoke alarm and you need to get out of the house NOW! Whatever kit you grab in either situation is legitimately a BOB. You need to think about the situations relevant to you and then put a kit together that is appropriate.

True.

Bugging Out may be just getting to a fallback position rather than roughing it cross country.

We've got a friend staying with us while she gets the tree off her house/ house off her car/ everything rebuilt. And on "Gustav-Day" "Bugging Out" was just getting herself and her dog out of house during the storm and coming a few blocks to stay with us.

There are now ample opportunities to return to get stuff she needs while she's staying with us.

#149542 - 09/18/08 11:31 PM Re: BOB Philosophy [Re: samhain]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
My BOB is used as an all purpose get out now bag, be it the fire in the middle of the night or the SHTF scenerio. I am set up to make it to a destination that has been pre-planned for a few decades. It also serves as a lets go camping / backpacking / entertainment bag. This lets me see how practical and usable the equipment is. It also allows for the food to be used and fresh food replaced.

As far as carrying TP and soap, I carry both. The inner cardboard was removed for space reasons. I also have toothpaste, toothbrush and other comfort / hygeine items. I know from experience that TP and soap go a long way in keeping moral up. And in a crisis situation (be it a personal crisis or a community). My BOB is just that - MY BOB. My wife has her own BOB that is customized to her. And my son's is his. They each have their own idea of what a crisis is and having the bag is like a security blanket that hopefully will not have to be used for anything other then recreational.

Hope that answers you question from my point of view.

#149565 - 09/19/08 08:30 AM Re: BOB Philosophy [Re: epirider]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
I would never carry regular TP since it is not water-proof, but instead would use shop towels or brawny (or similar) paper towels. Many backpackers do this. That way you never have to worry about it getting wet, and they can be used as towels or in a first aid kit (obviously before use as TP).

#149574 - 09/19/08 01:42 PM Re: BOB Philosophy [Re: wildman800]
jdavidboyd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Hudson, FL
Originally Posted By: wildman800
I use my BoB for 2 & 3 day backpacking/camping trips.

You're right about getting it to be more practical and useful by exercising it !!

So, what happens if the SHTF right after you've finished your camping trip, and your BOB is empty of all useful supplies?

Kind of like that Clint Eastwood movie where the bad guys jump him just after he has shot all his pistols empty target practicing.

#149575 - 09/19/08 01:48 PM Re: BOB Philosophy [Re: jdavidboyd]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I keep sufficient supplies on hand to do an immediate turn around.

I leave nothing to chance, by choice anyways!

6P's: Proper Planning Prevents P**s Poor Performance

#149576 - 09/19/08 02:00 PM Re: BOB Philosophy [Re: wildman800]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

+1 on baby wipes in my go bag/man-purse. No soap but I do have hand sanitizer. Still haven't gotten around to making a BOB proper. SHTF and I grab my go bag (urban survival kit-maxpedition colosus), my woodland survival kit-in a maxpedition devil dog butt pack, my rifle case and I'm out the door. Things have gotten a mite trickier since I've gotten married and the misses has aquired a zoo. Still need to grab a duffel and make a BOB for the pets, something which I have not managed to do because of finances.

-Bill Liptak

Edited by BillLiptak (09/19/08 02:01 PM)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 349 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.