The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#149521 - 09/18/08 08:14 PM Re: Knife laws in London and Paris? [Re: Stokie]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Inside London, well simply put I avoid the place like a plague infested open sewer.

London with its miserable people, dirty littered streets, with a 3rd world economy public transportation system and its burgening rise in pointless petty crime. Poverty mixed within ostentatious exhibits of wealth by a few. A grubby Monopoly board studded with the occasional historic tourist sights, where you will be lucky to actually find an Englishman (and if you did come across one will probably be trying to rip you off in his black Taxi cab). With its repetative shopping outlets, non existance customer service and overpriced goods. Hmm no wonder the last time I was there was over 8 years ago. Never really had the inclination to go back and even if I did I wouldn't want to spend more than a weekend there. The British Museum was worth a visit though. Heathrow is appaling and a national disgrace.

But then again some 'plague infested open sewers' can be interesting places to visit if only for a short period of time. whistle

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (09/18/08 08:18 PM)

#149534 - 09/18/08 10:29 PM Re: Knife laws in London and Paris? [Re: ZenEngineer]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
What about the French Opinel Knives?

Most have sort of a locking mechanism.

#149557 - 09/19/08 03:10 AM Re: Knife laws in London and Paris? [Re: ZenEngineer]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I wonder why our resident UK expert, Mr. Sock, hasn't been heard from on this???

#149560 - 09/19/08 05:32 AM Re: Knife laws in London and Paris? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Stokie Offline

Loc: Paris, France
Opinel Knives are accepted because there are very French, and associated with cutting cheese and drinking wine. Everyone overhere has one in the knife drawer, it's no more offensive than cutlery, and considered as such.

#149561 - 09/19/08 06:06 AM Re: Knife laws in London and Paris? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
I wonder why our resident UK expert, Mr. Sock, hasn't been heard from on this???

Because he is doing time for carrying a knife?

#149563 - 09/19/08 07:24 AM Re: Knife laws in London and Paris? [Re: Art_in_FL]
Stokie Offline

Loc: Paris, France
Not for a first offence, unless he was found with multiple knives?

#149567 - 09/19/08 11:39 AM Re: Knife laws in London and Paris? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Quote:
Inside London, well simply put I avoid the place like a plague infested open sewer.

But then again some 'plague infested open sewers' can be interesting places to visit if only for a short period of time. whistle

That reminds me of Sadr City. We managed to put two sewer lines back in service so the raw sewage wasn't flowing down the street, and each line only cost us about $50 million each, thanks to the security overruns.

It was interesting for about 5 minutes.

#149612 - 09/19/08 07:35 PM Re: Knife laws in London and Paris? [Re: benjammin]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
Well since you asked OBG :-)
A knife with a blade more than 3 inches in length is illegal. A knife with a locking blade is illegal.
It is illegal to carry a weapon. If you admit to the police 'yes i suppose i would use my leatherman (or paper, or umbrella or anything) you just admitted to a crime. Intent to use it as a weapon makes it a weapon.
But we have had a few cases of people being arrested with leathermans and being found innocent in court.
No british policeman will arrest a tourist who doesn't know the law (especially an american who we love) and no court would convict. You'd have to be unlucky to have it confiscated. That is the worst than could happen.
The Sock

#149686 - 09/20/08 12:30 PM Re: Knife laws in London and Paris? [Re: TheSock]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: TheSock
Well since you asked OBG :-)
If I may add to that...

Quote:
A knife with a blade more than 3 inches in length is illegal. A knife with a locking blade is illegal.
That is, illegal to carry in public without a good reason. They are legal to own and use at home, and they are legal in public if, eg, you need it for your job, or if you just bought it and are carrying it home, or if you are travelling to or from the airport. This is mostly common sense and honesty.

(A locked car boot is technically not a private place, but no-one is likely to look in it anyway.)

Quote:
If you admit to the police 'yes i suppose i would use my leatherman (or paper, or umbrella or anything) you just admitted to a crime.
I think you missed out the words "self defence". Carrying a blade for self-defence is a crime. Self-defence is not a "good reason". This may be a surprising point for Americans.

Quote:
But we have had a few cases of people being arrested with leathermans and being found innocent in court.
Basically you have to convince the court it's carried as a tool, not a weapon.

Be aware that the owner of a particular establishment may impose their own rules, which may be stricter than the law. For example, The London Eye has a reputation for taking even legal blades off customers before they go on the ride. (The ride involves being sealed in a bubble with other customers high above the ground, and I guess they are terrified of a knife-fight breaking out in such circumstances.)

Apart from places like that, you are unlikely to get searched. Police need "reasonable suspicion" to search you. However, if you get arrested for something else, they'll probably take sharps (and cell phone) off you then.

#149689 - 09/20/08 12:54 PM Re: Knife laws in London and Paris? [Re: Brangdon]
TheSock Offline
Addict

Loc: London England
You are right I did forget to put the words 'for self defense' in. Coppers are trained to try and persaude people to admit it's for that: 'are you really saying if a gang came at you with a knives you wouldn't try and even the odds by using this?' no matter how unbelievable it is; swear blind you never would.
Course you could ask him 'well, would you?' if he's holding it and says 'yes' you can then execute a citizens arrest. he just admitted to a crime :-)

The rest of what you said; ok to carry for work; on the way from the shops etc I took as going without saying.
The Sock

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.