Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#149473 - 09/18/08 02:04 PM BOB Philosophy
thatguyjeff Offline

I guess I have a fundamental question (or questions) about the basic intent of the BOB. If ya'll could indulge me...

I see the BOB as serving one of two possible purposes (or both in combination). It either serves to get you to a bugout location, or it serves as some basic supplies for when you arrive at your bugout location, or maybe both?

What got me thinking about this is that I tend to observe two things missing from most BOB lists folks post. At least, I think I tend to notice them missing, or I might be mistaken.

What about the toilet paper and the soap?

I see many with some hand sanitizer. Okay. In addition, I would think a little bar of hotel soap in a small container, plus some toilet paper (both being basic sanitation items). Both are small and lightweight, easily packed.

That got me thinking that perpaps the BOB is intended only for transit, and since once you get to your bugout location you have all the sanitation basics covered there.

Or, I suppose either soap and/or TP are considered convenience items? I guess there are a lot of things that could be substituted for TP. And soap? Does the hand sanitizer cover it. How do you wash your face?

So anyway, lots of questions here:
Basic fundamental purpose of the BOB? For transit, for arrival, for both?
Why no soap? (basic bar soap variety)
Why no TP?

(edit: I forgot to add, I have a tot still in diapers. I'm dealing with poop and washing my hands more now than I ever have in my life. So I might just have poop/hand washing on the brain in general. And it could be that folks without little ones in diapers simply don't need these items in the BOB.)

Edited by thatguyjeff (09/18/08 02:10 PM)

#149474 - 09/18/08 02:10 PM Re: BOB Philosophy [Re: thatguyjeff]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Actually, I can handle both items in one shot. I keep a pack of moist wipes in my BOB. A bar of soap is not so practical, as it requires water to utilize effectively. The moist wipes have a cleaning agent built in that is suitable for hands, face, or in some cases whole body cleaning (they actually make a large version just for that purpose, and I've used em up at elk camp a time or two with good results). Yet they are gentle enough to use in place of toilet tissue.

We like multi-taskers in our BOBs. These are convenient and will get the job done.

#149476 - 09/18/08 02:17 PM Re: BOB Philosophy [Re: benjammin]
Colourful Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Yukon
I like the civilized feel of TP...

#149477 - 09/18/08 02:17 PM Re: BOB Philosophy [Re: thatguyjeff]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
IMO,,

A BoB can be used for both. To me, it provides the basic essentials to get yourself to a "normal area" or to a "Bug Out Location" such as a camp, where supplies are either available or cached.

I carry a full TP roll in each of my BoB's (home & work) and I have my shaving kit with me always. My shaving kit, medicine/vitamins/FAK are always with me and attach to the outside of my BoB w/carabiners.

The home BoB has 4 days of rations and more equipment than my work BoB.

The work BoB has 10 days of rations and less equipment. It also has more VFR charts to get me home from wherever I am when the SHTF.

#149479 - 09/18/08 02:22 PM Re: BOB Philosophy [Re: Colourful]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Some TP seems more civilized than others. I've been working out of the City/County Bldg in Denver lately, and I am reminded of the budget cuts relating to municipal TP sources. That wasn't too civil in my book.

There are some pretty good moist wipes out there, comfort wise. They get the cotton content right up there, pretty near zero abrasion factor.

#149480 - 09/18/08 02:31 PM Re: BOB Philosophy [Re: benjammin]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Benjammin's right about the baby wipes, i also have those in my BoB's.

#149482 - 09/18/08 02:47 PM Re: BOB Philosophy [Re: thatguyjeff]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: thatguyjeff
That got me thinking that perpaps the BOB is intended only for transit...

I wouldn't get too hung up about the definition of "bug out". It means different things to different people and situations. Bugging out 100 miles before a hurricane makes landfall two days from now is different than when you're woken up in the middle of the night by the smoke alarm and you need to get out of the house NOW! Whatever kit you grab in either situation is legitimately a BOB. You need to think about the situations relevant to you and then put a kit together that is appropriate.

#149487 - 09/18/08 03:32 PM Re: BOB Philosophy [Re: NightHiker]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I wouldn’t get hung up in a name for your bag. Just put in what you think you will need in a bug out. Then go through all of the items you put in it and rethink what you don’t really need and take these things out. Do this 3 or 4 times over a few week time span. We all pack more then we need and this will help get it down to a manageable size.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#149488 - 09/18/08 03:35 PM Re: BOB Philosophy [Re: wildman800]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: wildman800
Benjammin's right about the baby wipes, i also have those in my BoB's.

Outdoor wipes from walmart are bigger than baby wipes, and work well to wipe the dirt off when out and about.
Been used as emergency TP, and worked well at that also.

#149489 - 09/18/08 03:38 PM Re: BOB Philosophy [Re: BobS]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Bob Test?

I was just thinking that it may be a good idea to go camping with what is in your BOB to see how well it works in the field. Have any of you actually taken your BOB and lived off it for a few days?

Like anything in life your opinions of something will change after you have done it instead of just thinking about and planning it.

Mr. Murphy and unseen situations always arise when the rubber hits the road. .

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.