Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#149254 - 09/16/08 10:57 PM Re: Ike Survivors May Wait Weeks for Hot Meals, Ba [Re: MartinFocazio]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I like that concept. But a truck big enough to handle furniture, sheet rock, insulation, "stuff", etc, has gotta be one big truck. Not to mention that pulling sheetrock from a wall usually ends up breaking it in to littler pieces...

#149256 - 09/16/08 11:01 PM Re: Ike Survivors May Wait Weeks for Hot Meals, Baths [Re: MartinFocazio]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Yup. Your home is your home, and the stuff in it is your stuff, but it is all just "stuff." None of it worth your life, let alone the lives of your family. Get out...

#149265 - 09/16/08 11:48 PM Re: Ike Survivors May Wait Weeks for Hot Meals, Baths [Re: MDinana]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: MDinana
maybe the warnings need to be to the lowest common denominator. Instead of "certain death" they need say something like "Get the F&$* out!! You all gonna die!!!"

Tell them there's unlimited free beer 100 miles down the road.

#149313 - 09/17/08 12:05 PM Re: Ike Survivors May Wait Weeks for Hot Meals, Baths [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Okay, here's my thinking on the 72 hour kit, and the situations you need to use it for.

the 72 hour kit is intended to get you through the actual event, and either get you through till help arrives if that's possible, or give you the chance to get out and find better conditions elsewhere, or retreive essentials to extend your stay. The 72 hour kit is big enough to get your through the critical period of the event, but small enough to be portable. The 72 hour kit is not the same as a shelter in place kit, which would be more robust to provide for an extended stay without the means for egress or re-supply.

Here's Doug's take on the 72 hour kit:

http://www.equipped.org/72hourkit.htm

Doug's blog on 8/30/08 is worth the read too. It speaks to the mindset of our Society, and this "help me" mentality.

His contention is premised more towards the staying put needs, vs the notion of moving out once the weather settles down as I prefer. I guess it depends on what you perceive the 72 hour kit's purpose for. For me, it has never been anything more than to get me by during the storm, or the eruption, or the whatever, until I can emerge and seek life elsewhere. The last thing I intend to do in any temporary crisis is sit around and wait for help to come to me (yes, there are exceptions, again, not what I would plan a 72 hour kit for). If I am immobilized, then I have needs that would exceed even a one week kit I am sure, knowing what it would take to immobilize me like that.

#149320 - 09/17/08 01:01 PM Re: Ike Survivors May Wait Weeks for Hot Meals, Baths [Re: Stu]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: SBRaider
Are 72v hour kits enough? It's been over 72 hours since IKE hit, and people still are not getting supplies.

72 hours of supplies is not *nearly* enough if you plan to stay behind for a hurricane, not even in the best case areas.

I grew up on Galveston Bay and we had *three weeks* of food, drinking water, cooking fuel, medical supplies. We also had experience at camping in the woods.

(this was back when "camping" did not require the use of electric generators, TVs, cell phones, etc)

I had said here that the longest we were without electricity was 18 days but my mother tells me it was only 12 days. This is perhaps 2 miles from the NASA campus, not in the backwoods somewhere..

Three weeks is clearly not too much for a coastal area. Further inland such as Blast's home I might be willing to go with as little as 10 days if I could be confident of evacuation should supplies prove insufficient.

#149326 - 09/17/08 01:22 PM Re: Ike Survivors May Wait Weeks for Hot Meals, Baths [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
IMO, a 72 hr kit is what you grab as you go out the door as a hazmat incident, industrial type explosions, etc start occurring next door.

In the case of a hurricane, which you get early warnings of: You leave with everything that you can pack into your vehicle(s). You will leave the majority of your emergency supplies at home as a "cache" to be utilized upon your return, providing there is a home left to reside in and/or there is an absence of utilities when I arrive back home.

Item to note: After the official FEMA statement, on their website, recommends everyone to keep 3 days of supplies at the top, the bottom section also states that 2 weeks of supplies on hand is advised, if the individual can do it....

That's a rough translation from memory.

#149330 - 09/17/08 01:40 PM Re: Ike Survivors May Wait Weeks for Hot Meals, Baths [Re: Stu]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Blast's experience:

72 hours is only enough if you don't mind waiting for hours in line with angry, stinky people(pic coming) to get a bag of ice, a jug of water and and MRE "Happy Meal" (pic coming). That is after you've burned half you gasoline trying to get to a distribution center. Then you have to do it again the next day, repeat every day until things return to normal.

If you only have 72 hours worth of food/water/batteries you are going to be miserable. Stock up as much as you can and turn the apocolypse into a vacation. We keep our pantry stocked to the point of bursting so my experiences with the 4-hour lines of stinky, angry people has just been taking pictures of them and feeling a combination of pity and smugness).

This applies to bugging-in.

-Blast

Edited by Blast (09/17/08 01:41 PM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#149338 - 09/17/08 02:07 PM Re: Ike Survivors May Wait Weeks for Hot Meals, Baths [Re: Blast]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Blast, my philosophy appears to be skewed from the standard.

Would a 72 hour kit be enough for you to survive the hurricane and then leave to a better suited location with no real supply issues?

Assuume you might have to walk out after the storm is over.

The reason I ask is that my BOB from Baghdad was supposed to get me by for three days, with the outcome to be relocation as soon as possible after an "event". Is that not a functional mindset in this scenario? Would relocating after the fact not be a viable option?

#149370 - 09/17/08 05:17 PM Re: Ike Survivors May Wait Weeks for Hot Meals, Baths [Re: benjammin]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Would a 72 hour kit be enough for you to survive the hurricane and then leave to a better suited location with no real supply issues?

Yes, in a situation as you describe where you would bug out once it was safe too, 72 hours of supplies would be fine. The storm died down around 4pm Saturday afternoon. Most urban and suburban roads were passable by noon the next day (men with chainsaws live for such events). I don't know about rural roads, though. But in under 24 hours you could have been on the road heading to safety. Gas was gone along the interstate but I've been told you could find it in at gas stations in the towns or on the sides of the towns away from the freeways.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#149373 - 09/17/08 05:40 PM Re: Ike Survivors May Wait Weeks for Hot Meals, Baths [Re: Blast]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Okay, different mindset then I guess.

How much water did you put up in preparation for the storm?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.