Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#149359 - 09/17/08 04:22 PM Re: What trades are needed after a hurricane? [Re: beadles]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: beadles
Southern Babtist disaster org that was running chainsaw groups

Originally Posted By: Blast
Tree triming/removal!
Have chainsaw, will travel.

-Blast

Baptists with chainsaws!!!???

Blast with chainsaws!!!!!!?????

What is the world coming to?

#149363 - 09/17/08 04:38 PM Re: What trades are needed after a hurricane? [Re: Equipped4Chicago]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
> But mainly, occupations or trades I can learn to be of assistance.

I think there are too many variables. There's no way to know where in the US a disaster will occur and what, if any trades will be useful. I gave similar consideration on how to help during the weeks after the September 11 attacks; at my age and condition I decided on becoming a ham radio operator. My wife and I have joined some local clubs that volunteer for emergencies, and we've become integrated into the first responder community here.

I hadn't thought of it at all, but being _known_ is very important to first responders. We've worked with them in training and in volunteering for fund raising events (bike-thons, walk-athons, and such for the American [insert disease/disability here] Association to raise money for their special interests), and we work with other hams who also become known to first responders. Once you're known, the people who 'manage' disasters have a handle on what your strengths and weaknesses are and can judge when and where to throw you into the mess. Unknowns who show up out of the blue and want to help are called cowboys, and nobody knows what to do with them. They don't know what needs to be done, have to be micromanaged, and generally are more trouble than they're worth. Even if you're an expert, nobody knows that, and you're lumped in with the unknowns.

If you want to be engaged in trades and be known in your community as a reliable responder, volunteer now for Habitats for Humanity, Burners Without Borders, or other such work groups that send people out to rebuild and repair damage caused by natural disasters. If you have no skills now, working with a group now will start you on your way.

You really are needed, by the way. Please do find a group or two you're interested in and volunteer now.

#149366 - 09/17/08 04:53 PM Re: What trades are needed after a hurricane? [Re: philip]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Burners Without Borders

Oh man, I just found my calling!

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#149372 - 09/17/08 05:36 PM Re: What trades are needed after a hurricane? [Re: Blast]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Learn to cook mass quantities of good food. There's always a need for a good cook around the campfire.

#149376 - 09/17/08 06:11 PM Re: What trades are needed after a hurricane? [Re: philip]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I'll second what Philip says. Someone who is CERT trained the responders can give or take, depending on their team and how they've been used in the past, but they will usually pass. Someone with CERT and more advanced first aid is a bit better; CERT with FA with a Ham license and willing to use it to connect rescue efforts or staff an EOC gets more interesting; but at the moment, CERT + FA + Ham + a Stihl 290 Farm Boss chainsaw and the wherewithal to use it to clear roads for fire trucks after a storm is golden. Don't expect any of the money-making trades to kick in much before the roads are cleared and a semblance of normal is restored. You want to survive and help others to do the same, make yourself useful. There's nothing on TV anyway.

#149387 - 09/17/08 07:14 PM Re: What trades are needed after a hurricane? [Re: philip]
beadles Offline

Loc: Richardson, TX
Yep. Looks like I'm going to go down and provide comms for a distribution center, out of my truck. A cot and all the MREs you can eat, yum yum!

#149423 - 09/17/08 11:26 PM Re: What trades are needed after a hurricane? [Re: beadles]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Good Luck, Beadles!!!!!

#149426 - 09/17/08 11:35 PM Re: What trades are needed after a hurricane? [Re: wildman800]
RobertRogers Offline
Survivor

How about selling stuff. That is where the real money is. Lumber, hardware, etc

#149435 - 09/18/08 01:10 AM Re: What trades are needed after a hurricane? [Re: benjammin]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
That might require a local license, something that might be a little difficult to obtain at that point in time. Unless of course you plan on giving the food away...

#149438 - 09/18/08 01:29 AM Re: What trades are needed after a hurricane? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Tree and debris removal would seem like the simplest with the least government intervention and insurance company hassles. No cop is going to bother you if you are cleaning up stuff.

Drive around the effected area and ask the people there if they want things cleaned up and stacked by the road, give them a price and go to work. No taxes (everyone pays cash) no fees or licensees to buy.

Any kind of auto will work for this, a few saws, rope, and some twine to bundle the brush up. Not a lot of tools needed.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 334 Guests and 90 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
Today at 08:10 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.