The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#149391 - 09/17/08 07:48 PM Re: Blast does a hurricane: odds and ends [Re: Stu]
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
Very good post Blast...I enjoyed reading it.

#149399 - 09/17/08 08:12 PM Re: Blast does a hurricane [Re: Blast]
falcon5000 Offline
Addict

Welcome back as well Blast. We've been through your experience many times in the past being in Florida and when we had our 110 mile per hour winds that were pinning us in the house for a day was the best learning curve (for hurricanes) that I could have got. We get hurricanes so much it seems it's like a normal part of life. I would recommended getting your garage door replaced with a stronger door with hurricane bars or use 2 4X4 posts anchored to the concrete and header on the wall and release the paw on the garage door or the plastic teeth will be shredded. After our 3 back to back storms and me up on the roof (2 story) with a repelling rope anchored between 2 trees re shingling 100 square feet of roof (3X in different places) between 3 storms to keep the integrity of the house made me a much better prepared person. These are the storms that I believe God gives you incite on what you really need and what you don't to survive. Since then we can go quite a while if pinned in as long as the house isn't breached but have back ups to backups if needed. One twister would wipe all that out in a second but we do what we can to survive.

It's nice now a days to have a back generator 12.5 K watts to manage loss of power to keep the freezers charged and 100% power at night for a pleasant night. Since being more prepared we look at the hurricanes as a vacation from work ironically. Bottom line is we live with inherent dangers constantly and survive. I'm glad everything worked out and a lot of people were rooting for you. I'm sure you were the most equipt person around your area, sit back and enjoy. Also we would go to the shopping malls or stores in the day time to get in the AC and save on the generator in the daytime and ran the generator at nights to save on fuel on the 100 gallon gas tank.

#149404 - 09/17/08 08:31 PM Re: Blast does a hurricane [Re: ]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Blastette and Poppers were in California visiting her family. I was supposed to go, but when choosing between in-laws or a hurricane... grin

They are returning tomorrow, lastest update has the power coming back on Monday, I'm supposed to fly to Denver on Sunday. Somehow I don't think I'll make it to the mile-high city.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#149406 - 09/17/08 08:41 PM Re: Blast does a hurricane [Re: Blast]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Welcome back man, and glad to hear you made it through.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#149416 - 09/17/08 09:32 PM Re: Blast does a hurricane: odds and ends [Re: Blast]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Originally Posted By: Blast

12. Where there are damaged roofs and downed fences there are nails. Where there are nails someone wiil step on one. This results in a 14-hour wait in the emergency room.

Not only will nails wind up in your foot, your truck or car tires will also have nails in them. Having a quality patch or plug kit with a small 12v compressor will help keep you on the road or at least driving through Blast's yard.

#149418 - 09/17/08 09:53 PM Re: Blast does a hurricane: odds and ends [Re: Blast]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas

2. Keep a large supply of crappy towels on hand. We used to have lots of beautiful white towels. They are now a large supply of crappy towels. blush I ended up using towels to stop water coming in through the windows and doors, ooze seeping out of the freezers and fridge, wiping off after playing in the rain, etc...

-Blast

Blast, As a desert dweller I'm mostly curious; Would a pre-storm application of duct-tape or caulk (or anything) have kept the water from seeping through windows and doors (or the covering you had over them)? I suppose I should also ask if it would be worth the trouble to remove the residue afterwards.

#149433 - 09/18/08 12:47 AM Re: Blast does a hurricane: odds and ends [Re: Blast]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl

6. Those little cylume lightstick braclets are awesome for marking you flashlights, radios, water jugs, cat, furniture and other stuff you need to see in the dark. Amazingly, ones I activated on Friday night were still glowing faintly Tuesday night! They are really cheap right now for Halloween so by several containers of them. Also, they come in assorted colors so you can assign a color to a particular type of thing (yellow for flashlights, blue for water, evil green for cats, etc...)

10. Scoop out the kitty litter during daylight hours. It's really hard to do by the light of a flashlight.

-Blast

A solution suggests itself, if you can figure out a way to get kitty to eat a bracelet, or if the luminescence persists after liberation frm the plastic tube and passage through the feline digestive system.

#149439 - 09/18/08 01:42 AM Re: Blast does a hurricane: odds and ends [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
In my former life I lived in the desert southwest, AKA central CA. We once had a cricket infestation, jillions and jillons of crickets, day and night, night and day. Coming into the house around windows, under doors, etc. We used masking tape to block them. I suspect that my ex is still trying to remove the residue of that tape. Or would if she ever did housework. But that is another story...

#149452 - 09/18/08 05:18 AM Re: Blast does a hurricane: odds and ends [Re: Yuccahead]
LED Offline
Veteran

I would assume you could use clear silicone as it peels off clean, easy, and in one piece. The smell might be intolerable though.

#149458 - 09/18/08 10:37 AM Re: Blast does a hurricane: odds and ends [Re: LED]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
The smell would clear pretty quick as it cures.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.