Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#149357 - 09/17/08 03:58 PM Re: Blast does a hurricane: Damages [Re: wildman800]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: wildman800
I'm glad you're back, Blast!!!!

I'm looking forward to reading all of your observations.

+1

Welcome back to the fire, not-so-newguy!

#149365 - 09/17/08 04:51 PM Re: Blast does a hurricane: during the storm [Re: Blast]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
1. Power began flickering at my house around 10pm and went off for good at 4am. After the first flickering I cut the breakers to everything but the room I was in. This was to protect them from the power surges as transformers blew up.

2. Before the storm my neighbors and I set up a walkie-talkie connection between the houses which was monitered through the entire storm. This allowed people to call for help, but also just to chat for comfort.

3. Rechargable spotlights were invaluable during the storm. However when you shine one out your window the reflection was so strong that you couldn't see past it. About half the houses had spotlights and we quickly figured out that we could use the walkie-talkies to direct the spotlight from another house to light up the area you wanted to see.

4. Garage doors make a weird humming noise in high winds.

5. The water in your toilet can be used as a crude barometer. The water level in the bowl dropped as the low-pressure eye moved closer and closer. The water level rose again after the eye passed. I want to sell pressure-calibrated toilets to people in hurricane zones. grin

6. You can't hear a really big tree fall during a hurricane unless it hits your house.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#149367 - 09/17/08 05:00 PM Re: Blast does a hurricane: during the storm [Re: Blast]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: Blast
3. Rechargable spotlights were invaluable during the storm. However when you shine one out your window the reflection was so strong that you couldn't see past it.

I've run into the same thing with almost every flashlight that I've attempted to use through a window. I've found that if I shine the light out the lower part of the window, I can peer out the top part of the window and see where the light is shining.

#149369 - 09/17/08 05:11 PM Re: Blast does a hurricane: Damages [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
"flimsy" Southern homes V.S. "heavy" Northern homes

I can't really say. The house I grew up in in Minnesota was over 100 years old before I was born. The siding was 1" thick planks.

Houses here have to meet certain hurricane building codes and are designed with less steep roofs so as to lessen the impact of the wind. As for the strength of the walls and such, wind can be stronger than wood...

-Blast, not helping much
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#149371 - 09/17/08 05:29 PM Re: Blast does a hurricane: Damages [Re: Blast]
nurit Offline

Loc: NYC
Glad to see you back, Blast! And sorry you never got to use your kayak...

#149375 - 09/17/08 06:06 PM Re: Blast does a hurricane: odds and ends [Re: Blast]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

1. Wash all your clothes/bedding/towels before the storm hits. There's no telling when you'll have another chance.

2. Keep a large supply of crappy towels on hand. We used to have lots of beautiful white towels. They are now a large supply of crappy towels. blush I ended up using towels to stop water coming in through the windows and doors, ooze seeping out of the freezers and fridge, wiping off after playing in the rain, etc...

3. Keep a small notepad with you at all times! Something will occur to you but if you don't write it down you'll forget it. It's also critical for writing information down that you hear on the radio.

4. Keep a flashlight with you at all times while the power is out. This means during the day and night. You will constantly find yourself hunting around in dark closets, garages, etc in your house and other people's houses. It's a pain to have to go and find a flashlight all these times.

5. It gets dark inside the house well before it gets dark outside. That's another reason to always keep a flashlight on you. You will be spending a lot of time working outside and it'll get late. Then you'll have to stumble around inside your house looking for your flashlight when you do go in even if it's still light outside.

6. Those little cylume lightstick braclets are awesome for marking you flashlights, radios, water jugs, cat, furniture and other stuff you need to see in the dark. Amazingly, ones I activated on Friday night were still glowing faintly Tuesday night! They are really cheap right now for Halloween so by several containers of them. Also, they come in assorted colors so you can assign a color to a particular type of thing (yellow for flashlights, blue for water, evil green for cats, etc...)

7. Set your house up like a blind person lives there. In otherwords, have an assigned spot for everything and when it's not in use return it to that spot. That way you'll always know where a particular radio/flashlight/axe are and you won't have to hunt for it in the dark. It took me two days to figure this tip out. blush

8. According to the Red Cross insulin will last for one month at 86F. I thought it had to be kept cold. I'm not a diabetic, but when I heard that information I wrote it down in my notebook to share with y'all.

9. Don't dump your water right after the storm. A friend in another part of town had filled up all their bathtubs before the storm. After Ike passed the water was still on so they drained the tubs and took baths before going to bed. The water was turned off during the night, they are now hauling water from a pool three blocks away to flush their toilets.

10. Scoop out the kitty litter during daylight hours. It's really hard to do by the light of a flashlight.

11a. If you have a generator running outside you still better also have a carbon monoxide detector in the house.
11b. Keep an eye on the direction of the wind. The people right next door to me were running their generator on their back patio. During the night the wind shifted direction and started blowing it's exhuast into their house. Luckily their CO moniter when off and woke them up in time.

12. Where there are damaged roofs and downed fences there are nails. Where there are nails someone wiil step on one. This results in a 14-hour wait in the emergency room.

13. Just because someone has a chainsaw doesn't mean they know how to use a chainsaw. The stunts and stupidity I saw with saws was mind-boggling. I watched one guy start cutting through an 18" thick limb but before it cut all the way through the wood split and the section he was cutting dropped three feet down to the ground. However, it was still attached the rest of the tree by a 2" thick, 3' long strip of highly stressed wood. He cut through this strip before I could yell a warning. The string sprung back up vicously and nearly removed his face. I warned him again but he siad it was okay. The same thing happened with him three more times before he finally started making the first cut underneath the limbs.

14. People will drive through your yard to get around a tree blocking the road. This is very hard on sprinkler systems.

15. If you have a gridle you can cook ANYTHING on a barbecue grill. Never go into an Apocalypse without a gridle.

16. Cargo-shorts styled swimsuits are great clothing to wear after during/after a hurricane. They are quick drying and can be washed while you are in the shower. Keep 2-3 pairs on hand.

17. Devote your energies to first taking care of the food in your fridge/freezer, THEN clean up the yard. blush

18. It is legal to have tigers as pets in Texas. In a hurricane one or more of these tigers may escape. Keep this in mind when you are placing all your raw, spoiling meat in your garbage can.

19. The more aluminum foil and ziploc baggies you have the better off you will be.

20. Your ice maker isn't nearly as powerful as you think it is. Fill every cooler you can find with ice before the storm hits.

21. Thinking "I don't need and D-cell batteries." is your brain's way of telling you you need D-sized batteries. blush

22. Put all your extension cords in an easy to get to place even if you don't have a generator.

-Blast

#149377 - 09/17/08 06:12 PM Re: Blast does a hurricane: Damages [Re: Blast]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

Blast--that answered my question..you have storm codes like we have snow codes--take care,what we see on TV looks bad in the long run--

#149380 - 09/17/08 06:25 PM Re: Blast does a hurricane: Damages [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
what we see on TV looks bad in the long run--

Supposedly if our neighborhood doesn't get power by this Friday it won't get it for two more weeks. That's not a big problem for us. In fact, I'm hoping DD1&2 will have to spend a few nights without power just so they understand it's a possibility and that it's not the end of the world. My neighbor has a 14-yr old daughter and she is in absolute shock. She's been crying about it for the last four days and they even have a generator! It boggles my mind.

-Blast

#149384 - 09/17/08 06:51 PM Re: Blast does a hurricane: Damages [Re: Blast]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
So- what does fresh-grilled tiger taste like?

Remember, some people pay lots of money to eat exotic animals. And you only have to put out the bait and wait :-)

Really great lessons learned Blast. Should be made into a booklet distributed to all your friends and neighbors.

One more item occurs to me "Send annoying 14 year old children to their friends house across town. Don't let them return until things are back to normal."

#149385 - 09/17/08 06:57 PM Re: Blast does a hurricane: odds and ends [Re: Blast]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Great post. Lots of useful info there.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 266 Guests and 108 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.