Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#149213 - 09/16/08 06:02 PM Re: "Military rations" being given out post-Ike in [Re: ]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: BigDaddyTX
No CO2 though, which seems to be what everyone is worried about now..

Someone's worried about CO2? I hadn't heard. wink

#149217 - 09/16/08 06:32 PM Re: "Military rations" being given out post-Ike in [Re: Grouch]
MrDrysdale Offline

Loc: League City, Texas
From what they are showing on television here locally they are similar to MRE's.

I drove by one of the FEMA PODS an hour or so a go in Friendswood Texas and there were dozens of cars waiting. I do not fully understand why there folks are in this situation. The grocery stores are open and well stocked. The water system is functioning and according to the cities safe! Electricity is about 80% in the area. Give me a break!

#149228 - 09/16/08 07:12 PM Re: "Military rations" being given out post-Ike in [Re: MrDrysdale]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"I drove by one of the FEMA PODS an hour or so a go in Friendswood Texas and there were dozens of cars waiting. I do not fully understand why there folks are in this situation. The grocery stores are open and well stocked. The water system is functioning and according to the cities safe! Electricity is about 80% in the area."

Well, they're giving away FREE stuff, aren't they? smirk

Sue

#149229 - 09/16/08 07:14 PM Re: "Military rations" being given out post-Ike in [Re: ]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
"... why not nuclear power then? Is relatively clean, insofar as we can just bury the debris in the middle of nowhere and it's pretty safe..."

People who like to think nuclear power is clean always want to bury the debris in someone else's state. You want it, bury it in YOUR backyard. (Hmmm... all of a sudden it doesn't seem THAT safe, does it?)

Sue

#149230 - 09/16/08 07:30 PM Re: "Military rations" being given out post-Ike in [Re: Susan]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: Susan
"... why not nuclear power then? Is relatively clean, insofar as we can just bury the debris in the middle of nowhere and it's pretty safe..."

People who like to think nuclear power is clean always want to bury the debris in someone else's state. You want it, bury it in YOUR backyard. (Hmmm... all of a sudden it doesn't seem THAT safe, does it?)

Same goes for oil refineries. No one wants a refinery in their back yard and that's understandable. So, if you aren't willing to have one in your back yard, do without oil based fuels (gasoline, diesel, kerosene, etc.) and all of the byproducts of a refinery.

#149249 - 09/16/08 10:38 PM Re: "Military rations" being given out post-Ike in [Re: MrDrysdale]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...dozens of cars waiting...grocery stores are open and well stocked..."

They want the free stuff, pure and simple...

#149298 - 09/17/08 02:55 AM Re: "Military rations" being given out post-Ike in [Re: OldBaldGuy]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

U know they may be getting supply's for the next Hurricane.
sure,LOL

#149309 - 09/17/08 11:33 AM Re: "Military rations" being given out post-Ike in [Re: Susan]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Out at the Hanford Nuclear Reservation (where I worked for a while; an area roughly the size of Rhode Island), they are still finding radioactive waste in places they had no idea about from the 40s and 50s. We dug up one vitreous clay line that wasn't on any drawings anywhere, and it was so hot it pegged the needle on all scales. We lost the trackhoe because they said it would be cheaper to replace it than to try and decon it. That was the first time I ever saw a Health Physics technician run from a dig.

Yucca Mountain is supposed to be our "National Repository", some day, but even though it is located in a "mostly useless for anything else" area, the enviros and the politicos have still got that place tied up legally, and so all the Nuke plants are holding their waste on site in temporary containers until we decide what to do with it. Suspending it in glass inside of stainless steel containers that are then planted in a big concrete block seems to be the best way to store it indefinitely. The prototype plant for that process is still being built, and the cost is going to be over $10 billion just for the prototype, with no certainty that the main plant will ever be constructed. The underground tank storage being used now is not so good they've discovered, and it's cost us billions to try and remedy that problem and we're nowhere near done yet.

I am a big proponent of using Nuclear energy. I have no good suggestions on what to do with the waste at this time, but it will be around for quite a while, so I am sure someone will come up with a good idea, eventually. Just realize that the cost of building and running a nuclear plant is considerable. It is not anywhere near being the cheapest source of energy available to us yet.

#149318 - 09/17/08 12:42 PM Re: "Military rations" being given out post-Ike in [Re: Susan]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Susan

It's easier & cheaper to monitor and provide security to one large site than many smaller sites.

In addition it's desirable that nuclear waste be stored in an area that is stable for long periods, perhaps tens of thousands of years. Nuclear plants need vast amounts of water for cooling and are usually located on rivers or coasts and as such are unsuitable sites over long periods.

Yucca Mountain has another advantage: it's already contaminated, or at least in the test range used for nuclear bomb testing years ago. Using that site won't create any new long-term risk areas.

Injecting casks into the seafloor in front a subduction zone might be better but would be enormously expensive.

#149319 - 09/17/08 12:59 PM Re: "Military rations" being given out post-Ike in [Re: benjammin]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...run from a dig..."

What is it that EOD tee shirt says, something like "If You See Me Running, Try to Keep Up"???

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.