Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#149170 - 09/16/08 03:03 PM Ike Survivors May Wait Weeks for Hot Meals, Baths
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Are 72v hour kits enough? It's been over 72 hours since IKE hit, and people still are not getting supplies.

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,423091,00.html

Ike Survivors May Wait Weeks for Hot Meals, Baths

HOUSTON —

Tens of thousands of residents first hunkered down to wait for Hurricane Ike's brutal punch. Those survivors on the wrecked Texas coast must now wait again — for food, water and ice, for the electricity to return to their homes, for that first hot meal and shower.

For some, the wait could be days. For others, it could be weeks.

"A good bath would be nice: have the fire department swing by and spray us down," said Carlos Silliman, 48, as he sat on a picnic bench in front of his Galveston Island home, where 18 inches of water flooded his garage and ruined a freezer full of venison. "I'm ready to have a cold beer and read the paper."

For most, such luxuries are far beyond the horizon. Many service stations have no gasoline, and some major highways remain under water. More than 30,000 evacuees are still living in nearly 300 public shelters, and roughly 2 million people in Texas alone are without power.
***continued***

#149172 - 09/16/08 03:08 PM Re: Ike Survivors May Wait Weeks for Hot Meals, Baths [Re: Stu]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Last I remember, a hot bath (or hot meal for that matter) wasn't a survival issue.

If they have food of some sort and water, they have enough for now. If they aren't getting any food or water at all, then that'd be a problem.

72 hour kit is plenty enough to make other arrangements. It is meant to get you by until you can find a way out of your troubles. It is not meant as a shelter in place indefinitely kit. If they are in Houston, there's plenty of places to go and get necessities, and even quite a few luxury items, including a hot bath. If they are in Galveston, they should've listened to the warnings before the storm hit.

#149174 - 09/16/08 03:20 PM Re: Ike Survivors May Wait Weeks for Hot Meals, Ba [Re: Stu]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
With so many people still without power, I worry about the effects of prolonged heat for all these people without AC. Heat is by far the biggest weather-related killer although its effects are generally under-appreciated since heat is generally not the official cause of death. Add in a lack of readily available drinking water in many places or maybe even the avoidance of drinking water because of the lack of toilet facilities and you could have a lot of problems.

#149177 - 09/16/08 03:40 PM Re: Ike Survivors May Wait Weeks for Hot Meals, Baths [Re: Stu]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Here's my input on this:

THEY TOLD HIM TO GET THE HELL OUT.
THEY TOLD HIM THERE WOULD BE MASSIVE DESTRUCTION.
THEY TOLD HIM THAT THERE WOULD BE LITTLE OR NO SERVICES AFTER THE STORM.
THEY TOLD HIM THAT THEY NEEDED TO STAY OUT OF THE AREA.

What more does this guy need? Stone tablets engraved with a personalized evacuation notice.

They don't call evacuations for the hell of it. It's a major decision, and it's not easy or desirable for anyone.

Sorry, but they gave AMPLE warning on this, and made it very, very clear that "go time" was their one and only chance to bug out.

THIS is what it's all about - being equipped and prepared.

#149179 - 09/16/08 03:44 PM Re: Ike Survivors May Wait Weeks for Hot Meals, Ba [Re: Arney]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: Arney
With so many people still without power, I worry about the effects of prolonged heat for all these people without AC. Heat is by far the biggest weather-related killer although its effects are generally under-appreciated since heat is generally not the official cause of death. Add in a lack of readily available drinking water in many places or maybe even the avoidance of drinking water because of the lack of toilet facilities and you could have a lot of problems.

I'll agree on water. However, we got rid of our A/C several years ago, and I think I'm healthier for it. Your body CAN and WILL adapt to warm weather, given a chance. Water, though, that's a big issue. My other reply, though, applies here. There's a reason they told them to evacuate. This is it.

#149190 - 09/16/08 04:07 PM Re: Ike Survivors May Wait Weeks for Hot Meals, Ba [Re: MartinFocazio]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
Your body CAN and WILL adapt to warm weather, given a chance.

For relatively healthy people, I agree that you can adapt pretty easily to the heat even if you're used to living with AC all of the time. But many of the elderly folks or those with various health conditions aren't going to adapt so well to prolonged heat, especially if they can't cool down each night before experiencing the next day's heat. Those are the folks I'm most worried about.

#149191 - 09/16/08 04:08 PM Re: Ike Survivors May Wait Weeks for Hot Meals, Ba [Re: ]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
Here's my input on this:

THEY TOLD HIM TO GET THE HELL OUT.
THEY TOLD HIM THERE WOULD BE MASSIVE DESTRUCTION.
THEY TOLD HIM THAT THERE WOULD BE LITTLE OR NO SERVICES AFTER THE STORM.
THEY TOLD HIM THAT THEY NEEDED TO STAY OUT OF THE AREA.

What more does this guy need? Stone tablets engraved with a personalized evacuation notice.

They don't call evacuations for the hell of it. It's a major decision, and it's not easy or desirable for anyone.

Sorry, but they gave AMPLE warning on this, and made it very, very clear that "go time" was their one and only chance to bug out.

THIS is what it's all about - being equipped and prepared.

You're 1,000% right. Problem is people have trouble leaving their homes. I know I do. It's just one of those difficult things. But I agree with you. When the Governor is telling you write your social security number on your arm with a Sharpie you know it's time to hit the Freakin' road.

Ditto.

Bug out, biatches.

#149192 - 09/16/08 04:12 PM Re: Ike Survivors May Wait Weeks for Hot Meals, Ba [Re: MartinFocazio]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
OK - FEMA (spit), The Red Cross, Southern Baptists (who run a large percentage of the disaster kitchens), etc all say "you are totally on your own for at least 72 hours"

They Will probably get you food/water after 72 hours. It's probably NOT going to be hot water, or warm food. Don't expect a shower.

You don't need HOT food, and a hot shower to live. What shows up after 3 days is "Here is enough to keep you alive for another couple of days while we get back to you"

Think of it like a military operation. The folks you see at 72 hours are the "scouts" - they are light, move fast, and can do the very minimum - the main body of the forces comes slower, and later
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#149193 - 09/16/08 04:20 PM Re: Ike Survivors May Wait Weeks for Hot Meals, Ba [Re: KG2V]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
If people stay and die.

Well sometimes the gene pool needs a little chlorine.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#149196 - 09/16/08 04:27 PM Re: Ike Survivors May Wait Weeks for Hot Meals, Ba [Re: BobS]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
The point I was trying to make, and it seems rather poorly, was is a 72 hour supply of food and water enough? Aid is just getting to some places, still not in all.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.