Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#148803 - 09/14/08 01:03 AM Train Wreck
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Yesterday afternoon I posted and then left for nearby Chatsworth.I was meeting another arcaheologist to look over an old excavation of a 19th century chinese labour campsite.
It is near the tunnel and I was apparently a few meters from discovering 'Shorty' Shea's remains, one of Charlie Manson's victims. A short walk over the tunnel, and you are in L.A. county viewing 'Stoney Point' famous movie location for countless shoots.
It was no film stunt as We watched the metro and a Santa Fe Frieght train collide.

I grabbed my car first aid kit, two blankets and ran down to the wreck. I helped a few people from the third car, my blankets covered two beyond help and my first aid kit was soon an empty nylon bag.
I watched Sherriff Deputy Eber, a passenger who immediately called in on his service radio helping others. He eventually collapsed with a broken clavical,sternum, ribs,hand and punctured leg wound.
I was soon pulled back as the emergency personel arrived in force. I gave my information and left.

The latest information is the Metro engineer went through the stop light beore the passing corridor on the horshoe turn. It also has been learned he was TEXT MESSAGING with some local train enthusiast kids who watch trains daily just before the collision and may have been distracted.

A few lessons I gathered for train travelors. Like an over the wing seat, the REARMOST compartment is the safest. The engine couldn't even be seen, telescoping back inside the first car and flipping on it's side.
The two deck units were slowly entered, and by enter I mean equipment to slowly dismantle with power tools, hand tools and by hand. Passengers in the upper decks were extricated first. Those below; injured, merely trapped or deceased WAITED.
People suffered multiple fractures, punctured lungs and facial trauma from being hurled from the impact. Cellphones were seen scattered everywhere. Again, Deputy Eber had his service radio holstered and secure.

Just a few observations. Now the inevitable connections as the dead and injured are found to be friends or relatives of people you know somehow.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (09/14/08 01:10 AM)

#148807 - 09/14/08 01:12 AM Re: Train Wreck [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Wow we saw it on the news up here but your description from being there was much more vivid. Terrible wreck, and just to think we had family leave from down there on a train a few days ago eeek.

I`m sure people appreciated your assistance.

Edited by ToddW (09/14/08 01:12 AM)

#148814 - 09/14/08 01:44 AM Re: Train Wreck [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
Well done sir. It also just goes to show that no one will ever know when or where you can very quickly find yourself involved in a survival situation.

Paul -

#148815 - 09/14/08 01:47 AM Re: Train Wreck [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
You do have a knack of being in the right place at the right time, don't you? Good job!

Texting. They need to outlaw that stuff, it is killing people all over the place every day...

#148816 - 09/14/08 01:53 AM Re: Train Wreck [Re: pforeman]
spuddate Offline

Loc: Southern California
Thanks Chris for getting involved and your post.

I normally commute by bus and airplane. Good advice on where to set. I normally try to set over wing on the airplane and between the wheels on the bus. I need to do better at finding a way to keep my backpack with me in case of accident.

I hope you were treated better by the professionals than I when I responded to an accident two years ago. Sometimes the people in the shinny red trucks and black/white cars don't think anyone else knows anything, unless you are in uniform. I was surprised that I had to show id before they would take my inputs seriously.

Spud

#148818 - 09/14/08 01:57 AM Re: Train Wreck [Re: spuddate]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
As a former black and white driver, I was more than happy to have folks not in uniform stop to help me. I asked their level of training, if it looked/sounded as if they knew what they were doing, I left them to it, even supplying them with my EMT kit. I would rather measure skidmarks, or give FST's to the drunk who caused that mess, any day...

#148821 - 09/14/08 02:23 AM Re: Train Wreck [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

Well done, Chris.

As said texting...

#148824 - 09/14/08 02:54 AM Re: Train Wreck [Re: Crowe]
spuddate Offline

Loc: Southern California
OldBaldGuy,
Sorry for my rank.

Spud

#148825 - 09/14/08 02:56 AM Re: Train Wreck [Re: Crowe]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
The AP is reporting that the MTA is now laying the blame on the engineer, without benefit of any investigation. They apparently took the word of a teenager who claimed he was text messaging the engineer shortly before the incident occurred.

Talk about a rush to judgement. In the same report blaming the engineer they, the MTA, also state that it will take up to a year to give a final report.

So within 24 hours they know it was their driver but it will take a year to sort out the details?

Pardon the expression but they've literally thrown their own employee under the bus.

In the same AP report, not a word from anyone from Santa Fe about blame.

Good work on the rescue efforts Mr. Kavanaugh.

Even it turns out to be operator error, would it have hurt the MTA's already battered public persona any worse to wait until even the most preliminary investigation was started before blaming the guy who died at the controls?

John E

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#148827 - 09/14/08 03:11 AM Re: Train Wreck [Re: JohnE]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

sounds like you had a day in hell..i only hope i could do half as well if called on..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 188 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.