Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#149011 - 09/15/08 06:23 PM Best thing to do for a friend
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Will be homeless tomorrow. Everything "okay" except:

No one wants the cat. Not friends, not family, not vets, not humane society. Been posting and asking for weeks.

Raised cat from tiny kitten. Ten year old fixed Bengal male. Good times, bad times, his and mine, etc. Seem to love the little guy.

Taking to shelter = letting strangers kill him.

Abandon him?

Put him down?

What?

Closest thing I have to a kid. Yeah, I know he's just an animal.

#149013 - 09/15/08 06:32 PM Re: Best thing to do for a friend [Re: dweste]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
That's rough, nobody? Any way to just stash him at a boarding facility for a while until the boat is ready?

Times like this let you know who your friends are.

#149014 - 09/15/08 06:48 PM Re: Best thing to do for a friend [Re: Russ]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Boat deal will be delayed, might fall through. I am going to board him until the money runs out; afraid I am just delaying the inevitable - trying to get some perspective. Don't blame friends- much- they have good reasons.

Edited by dweste (09/15/08 06:51 PM)

#149024 - 09/15/08 08:19 PM Re: Best thing to do for a friend [Re: dweste]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
I'll be the first to admit to having never been a cat person so my ideas may apply more to dogs, but could he not join you as you embark on the start of your new life?

In lieu of this, have you spoken with any of the local assisted living centers, nursing homes, or drug rehab halfway houses?

Animals can be very therapeutic, and I would think that perhaps a local center would consider adopting him to cheer up the residents, especially if you explained your situation and could show that all his vaccines and licenses were up to date.

Good luck, Jim

#149032 - 09/15/08 09:28 PM Re: Best thing to do for a friend [Re: dweste]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
If you wanted to drive down to Mariposa, the SPCA there does not put animals down, they keep them 'til they have a home for them. They also maintain a "wish list," if someone wants a small black dog (for example), they go on the list, when one comes in a call is made and fido has a new home. I have seen animals come in and have a new home without even seeing the inside of a cage. Not too long a drive for you. I can give you their phone number if you are interested...

#149044 - 09/15/08 10:33 PM Re: Best thing to do for a friend [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
No one could even hold him temporarily (family, friends)?

No-kill shelters in CA: http://www.saveourstrays.com/nokill.htm

Sue

#149046 - 09/15/08 10:45 PM Re: Best thing to do for a friend [Re: Susan]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA

#149068 - 09/16/08 01:11 AM Re: Best thing to do for a friend [Re: Susan]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

If no one wants the cat a no-kill shelter would be the best choice IMO.

As callous as it sounds, failing that I would put him down myself. Some vigorous play to relax him, a hearty meal, a bit of contented lap sitting for a the final minutes and then a quick twist and a snap of the neck. Followed by a dignified burial and, likely, a stiff drink. It is a tough reality. But it is real.

If a friend or relative was facing such poor options with my final disposition I would like to think they would do the same for me. A quick and painless out is about as good as I could expect.

Taking care of such problems in-house at the hands of a loved one is, I think, the responsible way to go and not so bad. A lot of people think you can just let them go and somehow it will magically 'all work out'. Like a Disney afternoon movie. Mostly it doesn't and they are condemning their pet to long term starvation, misery, loneliness, vicious fights with wild or feral animals for food, and a messy and painful death by getting hit by a car, infection and/or a slow death by disease.

I wouldn't want my pet to suffer like that and I don't like the idea of sticking others with my problems or my companion having to face its final minutes frightened, alone and his final exit handled by a stranger. I wouldn't want my pet to suffer because I lacked the intestinal fortitude to do what has to be done and to do it well.

#149069 - 09/16/08 01:19 AM Re: Best thing to do for a friend [Re: dweste]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I'm sorry I can't keep him for you, but Louisiana is too far to ship him, or else I would hold him for you.

If anybody in Ca is headed east through Lousy-anna, I'll provide a place for him in my home.

I'm sorry I can't do better than that.

Bo

#149088 - 09/16/08 04:33 AM Re: Best thing to do for a friend [Re: Art_in_FL]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...a quick twist and a snap of the neck..."

I wouldn't try that. Without going into the gory (and painful) details, I once tried to do battle to the death, hand to hand, with a really mad Siamese. Cat's are tough. I once put down my cat of 19 years with chloroform (hard to get). Didn't work well. If I had to do it again, I would use a .22...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.