The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#148817 - 09/14/08 01:53 AM Re: Ike Approaches [Re: red]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Actually, having worked more graveyard shifts than I care to remember, drinking coffee by the gallons, then hitting the bars at a very early hour, I have learned that, with a lot of coffee on board, you can then drink more beer/booze before you drop. You do tend to have to visit the bathroom A LOT tho...

#148822 - 09/14/08 02:33 AM Re: Ike Approaches [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
. . .and you end up very dehydrated. BTDT too.

#148831 - 09/14/08 03:29 AM Re: Ike Approaches [Re: ]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
That little bit of rope (or whatever) isn't gonna stop a car from floating anywhere...

That's no rope. It's garden hose.

I wonder what the name of the knot they used is, and how much beer was required to tie it?

But to be honest some sort of leash-law for boats would be helpful. When I was growing up on the Bay I vaguely recall that boats were the hardest debris to deal: a car could be rolled away, most other things cut up with chainsaws, but a big boat in the middle of the street was a real nuisance.

It appeared last night that Ike made its turn to the north earlier than predicted, just before arriving at Galveston. Instead of the eye going up I-45 to downtown Houston it went through Galveston Bay going north. In a big storm everything gets wet anyway but even the small change makes a big difference in wind direction and speed. In the event, the strong winds blowing storm surge inland were east of Galveston Bay, and Houston.

I'm a believer that riding our hurricanes is not nearly as big a deal as the media makes it out to be if the attitude is "willing, if conditions permit" as opposed to "determined, 'cause I ain't never run before!" But I have to wonder about the lady missing her coffee: can she make it if it's two weeks and not two hours without electricity? Has she ever heard of Sterno stoves, or whatever is used these days? I'd hate to go camping wither, roughing it with TVs and cell phones going the entire time...

#148932 - 09/15/08 12:30 PM Re: Ike Approaches [Re: James_Van_Artsdalen]
Mike_in_NKY Offline

Loc: KY
Glad to hear Blast is ok. Hope the rest of the forum members do well. Like others we had high winds in N KY but no significant damage (in comparison to Houston/Galveston). Power is off for a large area but for some reason we have power in our neighborhood (underground wires?)

Not sure if Blast at home alone and being bored is a good thing! smile

It may make for some interesting stories though!

#148933 - 09/15/08 12:35 PM Re: Ike Approaches [Re: Mike_in_NKY]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...alone..."

Alone? Blast, what did you do with the cat???

#148966 - 09/15/08 02:43 PM Re: Ike Approaches [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Mike_in_NKY Offline

Loc: KY
Sorry , I meant without DW supervising things! I'm sure the cat is ok.

#148968 - 09/15/08 02:49 PM Re: Ike Approaches [Re: OldBaldGuy]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
He probably had a "Thomasina" incident. The cat slipped out through a wind blown open doorway, "hopefully",,,uh, I mean, Unfortunately, never to be seen again.

#148969 - 09/15/08 02:51 PM Re: Ike Approaches [Re: wildman800]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: wildman800
He probably had a "Thomasina" incident. The cat slipped out through a wind blown open doorway, "hopefully",,,uh, I mean, Unfortunately, never to be seen again.

Should that happen, I'd hate to be Blast when the DW gets home. I'd like to be there to watch though. grin

#149054 - 09/15/08 11:18 PM Re: Ike Approaches [Re: Stu]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
I think I'd rather not be there for the live performance, it could get pretty gruesome, but a tape might find a good audience. grin

- Eric

#149059 - 09/16/08 12:28 AM Re: Ike Approaches [Re: Eric]
MrDrysdale Offline

Loc: League City, Texas
We made it back to League City Saturday evening to no power but a house that was almost as we had left it Thursday. One tree was over and I just pushed it back up and hope it survives. Lost my fence and I do not believe any roof damage.

I got power and cable back this afternoon. I had kept the homebrew and food cold on generator since Saturday night.

South of League City is bad. Power is coming back in a few places. No gasoline though. I will be riding the motorcycle for a few days and the weather is perfect for it though!!

Galveston Island is bad.

Still amazed at how many people are not prepared for power and basic services to be off for even 24 hours. Some of my neighbors didnt have even candles or food for more than a day or so. Certain parts of the area will be without electricity for a while.

I think I need more gasoline storage and another generator; maybe two. I also need a 4 wheel drive vehicle; almost got stuck in the middle of nowhere on the trip home.

Just rethinking the plan!

Mike

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.