The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#148978 - 09/15/08 03:53 PM Re: Prepardedness [Re: OldBaldGuy]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Maybe FEMA could have an Eastern, Central, and Western storage/base of operations. They could then deploy the assets from those staging bases to the affected areas.

That would not require much of an investment.

#148997 - 09/15/08 05:28 PM Re: Prepardedness [Re: wildman800]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Why couldn't FEMA work with the National Guard?

Sue

#148999 - 09/15/08 05:33 PM Re: Prepardedness [Re: wildman800]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
I wonder how many people in the hurricane stricken areas were actually prepared but lost all of their gear and supplies when their home was wiped out. I often ponder this situation since my home could be wiped out by a tornado (the most likely natural disaster to occur in our area). I guess I need to find a secondary location where I can store a decent cache of supplies and gear.

#149006 - 09/15/08 05:54 PM Re: Prepardedness [Re: Grouch]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
That's why my 96 hr kit is in the truck. In a bug-out situation the kit gets much bigger. For me a bug-out would be caused by a wildfire that gets into our canyon. The truck gets packed while the fire is still in the eastern part of the county, days ahead of a possible bug-out.

#149012 - 09/15/08 06:29 PM Re: Prepardedness [Re: Grouch]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The trickything is finding a place that is close enough to be of benefit. Too close and it can be destroyed by the disaster, too far and its too much to get to your supplies. I'm storing food in large rubbermaid tubs that can be quickly slid in the back of the truck to go with me if needed.

#149015 - 09/15/08 07:11 PM Re: Prepardedness [Re: Eugene]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
My problem is that I work 13 hour shifts. If I'm at home when the disaster is impending, I can load up my truck with months worth of supplies and bug out. If I'm at work, particularly in the middle of a shift, all bets are off.

#149035 - 09/15/08 09:33 PM Re: Prepardedness [Re: Susan]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Biggest problem I would see is that FEMA is federal, the NG is state. Apples and oranges...

#149050 - 09/15/08 11:00 PM Re: Prepardedness [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
OBG, My knowledge of the military is almost nil, but... National Guard is Army National Guard, isn't it? If the NG is state-operated and can't work with FEMA, why are the NG guys being sent repeatedly to the Federally-sponsored event in Iraq?

Better idea yet: Give all the tax money earmarked for FEMA and give it to the Salvation Army?

Too logical, huh?

Sue

#149056 - 09/15/08 11:34 PM Re: Prepardedness [Re: Susan]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Sue,

The nature of the separation of the various entities that comprise our national defense system is a bit complicated. I will not pretend to be an expert and try to tell you the nuances between state government's rights/powers and jurisdictions and the Federal rights/powers and jurisdictions. Even in light of my 26 years of Air Force service (now retired) I still do not fully understand it. There are fine lines involved. That said, I am sure there are partnerships which can be formed to better serve the American people. Streamlining/making efficient any government/business enterprise will always be a challenge. Hopefully, there will be some progress made in the coming years.

#149062 - 09/16/08 12:42 AM Re: Prepardedness [Re: wildman800]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
I suspect the main issue is more cultural than monetary. The US military (well most branches smile ) are prepared to go somewhere (nearly anywhere) and not only survive the local environment but conduct various military operations. By and large that also includes a lot of practice at getting out in the weather and being uncomfortable while setting up a base of operations in a largely unprepared site.

FEMA on the other hand is basically a part of civil government (not military) and not to put too fine a point on it a major Bureaucracy. Now I am sure there are some real go getters in the organization but culturally they are not prepared, trained or practiced (in the same sense as the military) to go somewhere with absolutely no infrastructure and bring their own logistics and planning tail/capabilities with them. So they descend on some unlucky disaster area and in order to perform their mission, they need to establish comms, shelter, provisioning etc. for themselves. Since this is a disaster and the people in charge must be at their best this means getting the appropriate sleeping, eating and meeting accommodations (planned by and for people who are essentially bureaucrats). So you take over the local hotels etc. (since that is how your travel is typically done).

Maybe FEMA should have a larger emphasis on field training/exercises and generally roughing it / making do with mobile/temporary camps like the military. I won't get started on the byzantine rules involving who does what when for disasters (at least not this time smile )

- Eric

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 301 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.