The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#148562 - 09/12/08 01:31 AM Forging of Cooperative Alliances
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
#1 Please forgive my senility in not being able to remember the names of who suggested what, that has lead to my current train of thought.

#2 Countries forge alliances to assist one another if attacked or in the event of major natural and/or man made disasters.

#3 I do not see the need for individuals to come to one another's assistance in time of war. That's what the government does with the armies that our taxes support,,so,,,

#4 Perhaps there is a need for us to establish mutual assistance agreements with those in our neighborhood and outward to a 100 - 200 miles of each other.

Someone had earlier mentioned shipping supplies to those who needed it. Forgive me for not remembering the names.

Hurricane Gustave gave me a close call but caused no damage and no loss of utilities. Those in Baton Rouge (45 minutes drive from me) did lose power. If I had already had Samhain's cell phone number, I could have found out if he needed a generator/gasoline, ice, camp stove, whatever, and I was in a position to have driven that equipment to him. The same is true now with Hurricane Ike, concerning Blast, Librarian, ClarkTx, and KMat.

I am suggesting alliances with those that you feel like you can trust and within a reasonable range to be able to transport supplies and equipment, as requested. Remember, any gear that you truck into a location will most likely require a 2nd trip later to pick it up, and bring it home.

Just some thoughts to toss around and debate !!!!

#148648 - 09/12/08 04:32 PM Re: Forging of Cooperative Alliances [Re: wildman800]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Seems like a good way to make friends.

#148652 - 09/12/08 04:56 PM Re: Forging of Cooperative Alliances [Re: benjammin]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Great idea. How would we implement it? PMs? I don't want to advertse my 30-day supply of food and water in NYC on the internet.

#148653 - 09/12/08 05:09 PM Re: Forging of Cooperative Alliances [Re: benjammin]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Several of us are implementing this loose agreement via pm's. everybody is on 1 pm thread so what one writes can be viewed by those in that circle.

#148658 - 09/12/08 05:32 PM Re: Forging of Cooperative Alliances [Re: wildman800]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I have no problem with people helping out people, its great. And in a big enough disaster, every bit helps. What goes around comes around, and imho people are happier if they are generous. Like Benjamin says, this is a good way to make friends.

From a past career in logistics though, I can say that it won't scale very far, you need a more concerted effort to get help to where its needed. All sorts of things like economies of scale make sense when you pack 40 foot trailers with aid, rather than a few boxes by UPS. You need your aid to scale, sometimes very large. Trailers and flatbeds can make a difference for a whole community, not just those who you know. And without taking anything away from this alliance effort, that's where my money will go, to those who pack the trailers and show up as soon after a disaster as possible, and stay until its over before they roll up their tents. You're both driven by the best motives, bless you, but my money and resources have to go to those who are helping the most people get by in hard times.

I don't mean this as a debate, what Wildman800 proposes is fine - if you don't like my opinion, I got others...

#148668 - 09/12/08 07:17 PM Re: Forging of Cooperative Alliances [Re: wildman800]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
PM Inbound

#148670 - 09/12/08 07:19 PM Re: Forging of Cooperative Alliances [Re: Lono]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Two ideas:

ETSers on the Road - I travel a lot. One of the things I do is contact fellow ETS members in the area I'll be to set up a emergency shelter location. I think some sort of map/safe house locator might be useful for other ETS travellers.

ETSers in Need - good idea but Lono makes a good point as far as helping out in large-scale disasters. It'd be nice to focus on our friends, but greater good could be accomplished by helping the teaming masses. That being said, I think members should feel comfortable to ask, "Can you help me?" in both big disasters and small-scale ones (house fire, family illness). I think an "In Need" sub-forum might be the way to go with that.

-Blast, thinking out loud.
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#148672 - 09/12/08 07:38 PM Re: Forging of Cooperative Alliances [Re: Blast]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

I know for a fact that much to the stuff we shipped to a location, and that transferred to a friend who delivered it during Katrina made the lives of many in smaller shelters better. The bigger organizations did not, at first and sometimes at all, for a number of reasons, get supplies to folks that needed them. The supply deliveries people made did get them water filters, batteries, lights, gas for generators, medical supplies, clothing, and much more. Was it Semi loads - no, but it often was pickup loads.

When people are in need, sometimes just knowing people are trying to help is a big thing, and anything you get delivered is better than a warehouse full that isn't delivered.

I have a lot more to say but maybe later.

Edited by SBRaider (09/12/08 07:52 PM)

#148673 - 09/12/08 07:45 PM Re: Forging of Cooperative Alliances [Re: Lono]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm still going to contribute to The American Red Cross, The Salvation Army, The United Way, etc.

By and large, they will "get the mostest to people firstest". By helping out a fellow ETS'er, I have also reduced the demand for services by one family.

The bottom line is: we all must do what we each feel is best!

#148674 - 09/12/08 07:51 PM Re: Forging of Cooperative Alliances [Re: wildman800]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: wildman800
The bottom line is: we all must do what we each feel is best!

Agreed. smile

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.