Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#148744 - 09/13/08 12:31 PM Re: Favorite Fiction Survival Character [Re: Todd W]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
The mother alien in the movie "Aliens". Or is this restricted to human characters?

Also Drake Douay, in the book "The Walrus and the Warwolf". He's not someone that can be learned from, but he does survive numerous tribulations.

#148785 - 09/13/08 10:29 PM Re: Favorite Fiction Survival Character [Re: truckergut]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
+1 to the Howard Family

#148786 - 09/13/08 10:31 PM Re: Favorite Fiction Survival Character [Re: TheSock]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
Hell Tanner--Damnation Alley.

Any bum on Philedelphia streets.

Edited by billy.guttery (09/13/08 10:33 PM)

#148798 - 09/14/08 12:34 AM Re: Favorite Fiction Survival Character [Re: NeighborBill]
Erik_B Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Somewhere in my own little wor...
i have to say Burt Gummer(though the fact that he calls lifeboat rations MREs bugs me every time.) food for five years, a thousand gallons of gas, air filtration, water filtration, Geiger counter, bomb shelter. Underground, God**** monsters.

and Indiana Jones. booby traps, hostile natives, Nazis, snakes, spiders, evil priests, women, mobsters, mercenaries, aliens, commies; he always comes out a bit worse for wear, but alive. and he does it all without a GPS.

Edited by Erik_B (09/14/08 12:36 AM)

Originally Posted By: ironraven
...Shopping appeals to the soul of the hunter-gatherer.

#148809 - 09/14/08 01:16 AM Re: Favorite Fiction Survival Character [Re: raptor]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Ok. I totally blew it on Indiana Jones. Damn. One of my all time fav movies

#148819 - 09/14/08 01:57 AM Re: Favorite Fiction Survival Character [Re: comms]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

I'd have to say "The man" and his son, "the boy", from Cormac McCarthy's "The Road". For those of you who have never read the book no specific names, dates, or even what caused the end of the world is mentioned.

No matter what these two kept trying and moving forward through countless little triumphs and setbacks. And they stuck together and stood up for each other with a lot of love and compassion. Like the book mentioned in the beginning, each was "the other world's entire".

I tell people every single time when post-apocalyptic/survival fiction is discussed: anyone can write a good or even great post-apocalyptic story. But it takes a brilliant writer, IMHO, to make readers understand there's something more important than the protagonist's stuggle to just stay alive, and that's the struggle to retain one's humanity.

The Road, Lord of the Flies, Alas Babylon, The Old Man and the Sea, Robinson Crusoe, and others - all are earmarks above your standard survival fiction because the characters are people that we can all relate to and have empathy towards. Not only do they have to conquer the elements and the adversities they face, but they have to better themselves by staring into the dark side of human nature. The heroes sometimes have to take an introspective look to do this as well.

The first time I finished "Lord of the Flies" I was just floored. Same with "Crusoe", "The Old Man and the Sea" and "The Road", and that's the reason why. Writers that want to shoot for punching out a brilliant story have just GOT to focus on the human element, and not just a slam-bang survival story.

#148829 - 09/14/08 03:17 AM Re: Favorite Fiction Survival Character [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
The Road was a great book. I read it when my son was about a year old and man did it really affect me.

#148836 - 09/14/08 06:03 AM Re: Favorite Fiction Survival Character [Re: benjammin]
CDVXF7 Offline

What a good topic! These come to mind from my youth:

Julie of the Wolves
the gal from Z is for Zachariah. I don't remember if she ever gives her name.

#148853 - 09/14/08 02:17 PM Re: Favorite Fiction Survival Character [Re: CDVXF7]
Angel Offline

What? No Macgyver fans?

#148882 - 09/14/08 07:47 PM Re: Favorite Fiction Survival Character [Re: Angel]
Eric Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
oh man, I totally skipped over that. +1 and then some to Macgyver. Not only survive but take out the bad guys with nothing more than a SAK and what ever happens to be laying around. I'll change mine to Macgyver and Hazel Stone.

-Eric

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.