Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#148537 - 09/11/08 10:27 PM Re: Evan Tanner dies in the desert [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: Evan Tanner
I plan on going so deep into the desert, that any failure of my equipment, could cost me my life. I’ve been doing a great deal of research and study. I want to know all I can about where I’m going, and I want to make sure I have the best equipment.

I am generally sympathetic for people that get caught out in an unfortunate situation, or for people that die during a freak occurence, but I've got absolutely nothing here.

According to statements that he made in his blog he had been studying and doing research for over a month, yet he dies from heat stroke/dehydration after walking 3.5 miles in the desert?

It kind of has me scratching my head wondering what kind of studying and research he was conducting, as carrying adequate water and having protection from the sun/heat are obviously two of the things that are pretty much at the top of the list for desert survival.

Jim

#148539 - 09/11/08 10:43 PM Re: Evan Tanner dies in the desert [Re: Paragon]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
All I get from this episode is "death wish". I don't know what was in his mind or what he was looking for, but it seems he wanted to get close to death. The desert doesn't care.

#148546 - 09/11/08 11:16 PM Re: Evan Tanner dies in the desert [Re: Russ]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Russ
All I get from this episode is "death wish". I don't know what was in his mind or what he was looking for, but it seems he wanted to get close to death. The desert doesn't care.

Oh come on. We don't talk that way about mountain climbers or sky divers. Are they not risking their lives? So why talk that way about someone who wants a wilderness adventure?

Human beings evolved in the wilderness. But we have since become pussified. We're afraid to do anything anymore. I take my hat off to Evan Tanner. It's unfortunate that he died, but I respect the man for going for it.

#148566 - 09/12/08 01:35 AM Re: Evan Tanner dies in the desert [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
sodak Offline
Addict

I'm glad you explained who he was, I never heard of him before this. Nature is usually pretty fair, you break the rules, you pay the price, no matter who you are. Always self enforcing too.

I don't blame him for doing what he wanted, but it would be interesting to hear a good detailed after action report.

It is interesting how even well conditioned athletes can be done in fairly quickly. The Tarahumara Indians used to run literally hundreds of miles in high altitudes and deserts, you can bet they didn't carry enough water with them either. They must have known every single water hole, but still...

#148686 - 09/12/08 09:29 PM Re: Evan Tanner dies in the desert [Re: Russ]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: Russ
All I get from this episode is "death wish".
Much of what he did sounded sensible to me. He stayed and rested at Clapp Spring until night, and then travelled in the dark. He also informed a friend that he was in difficulty, and told him to raise the alarm if they didn't hear from him the next morning. They did so promptly (S&R found his tracks early the next morning) - the comment in the other thread about unreliable friends waiting for two days doesn't match the new report.

The body was difficult to find, so I wonder if he got lost in the night and ended up trying to travel during the morning. If so, then a GPS might have saved him. He was only 1.2 miles from his camp. I think his decision-making ability must have deteriorated rapidly leading him to make some bad choices towards the end.

#148758 - 09/13/08 04:03 PM Re: Evan Tanner dies in the desert [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Evan Tanner was one of my favorite Ultimate Fighter fighters. Despite his problems with alcoholism and depression(?), he was noted as one of the most intelligent and all-around respectable fighters in the business. Anyone who watched more than one of his UFC battles knows Tanner had more than just skill and ability, he fought with tenacity and heart. I just watched him fight about a month ago (he lost) and it was apparent he might just be getting a little over-the-hill in the sport, but he was still the strong, agressive fighter I always admired.

I understand that we all (me too) tend to armchair these survival events and tragedies, such as wondering how he could succumb to the heat and dehydration after only travelling 3.5(?) miles, but I've got a wandering theory: these fighters put their bodies through an ordeal as they prepare for their fights. They'll work out and sweat off several pounds just to make weight, then try to replenish what they've lost immediately thereafter. All they have to do is make it through a maximum of a 25 minute fight (no small feat - any of it), and they can rest, rehydrate, and replenish. Although they're elite athletes, I don;t think it's proper conditioning for arid desert survival.... rather, it's conditioning for fighting in the octagon.

While we don;t know yet exactly what happened, it's a good bet that Evan Tanner made some serious mistakes, as pointed out by everyone. I think it's a shame, it's saddening, and it's a loss to the mixed martial art "world".

Thanks for posting that news clip.

#148823 - 09/14/08 02:38 AM Re: Evan Tanner dies in the desert [Re: Stretch]
spuddate Offline

Loc: Southern California
Even with experience, the desert in summer is dangerous.

What works for me (as taught by my grandfather who lived in the Mohave Desert)is to hike early, and plan to be near water by 10am. I plan on 2mph, and and extra hour for every 1,000ft elevation change. (I can normally walk 3mph, but only count on 2mph.) Before leaving camp, I drink as much as possible, often close to 1qt. I carry 1qt of water per hour of walking, and enough for a round trip. When half the water is gone, I turn back.

Many friends have made fun of my heavy pack (due to water) and my lack of "determination" in pressing onto the goal. For over forty years of desert travel, my grandfather's advice has served me well. Along with lots of water, and leaving an itinerary with a close friend, one must always remember that the desert will be there tomorrow. If you take the conservative approach, there will be another day to explore that desert.

Spud

#148828 - 09/14/08 03:14 AM Re: Evan Tanner dies in the desert [Re: spuddate]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Yeah Spud, you bring up a good point about experience and safety. When I am outdoors with my buddies, I do sometimes feel like I am a brake on the festivities because I won't push the extra miles or I am walking slower to stay cooler.

They see it as a macho thing to out gut the other (sometimes, I mean we are all competent adults)but I try to keep my safety first.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 409 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.