Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#148269 - 09/10/08 04:35 PM Subway Beating with hammer..No one helped..
Themalemutekid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
A guy riding the subway is attacked by a hammer wielding loon, and none of the other riders stepped in to help. It's very sad what this world has come to. The victim could've been killed. Here is a link to the full story.

Nobody Helped!!

#148274 - 09/10/08 05:01 PM Re: Subway Beating with hammer..No one helped.. [Re: Themalemutekid]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Taking on a "loon" whacking away with a hammer, unarmed and by yourself, could be tricky. My guess would be a good kick or three in the groin would be a good way to start. But fighting in a subway is a nasty place. I don't have any actual experience in subways, but have gone a few rounds with fighting drunks on a bus, and it is real tight quarters, hard to get a good swing with either foot or fist...

#148281 - 09/10/08 05:23 PM Re: Subway Beating with hammer..No one helped.. [Re: NightHiker]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
- also on the same page I noticed a link to a story about a 15 y/o that died after being stabbed in the head with a screwdriver. Maybe Home Depot needs to start conducting background checks.

If we had sensible laws in this country, they'd certainly keep me away from power tools.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff_McCann (09/10/08 06:02 PM)

#148311 - 09/10/08 08:03 PM Re: Subway Beating with hammer..No one helped.. [Re: NightHiker]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Anybody know what the concealed carry laws are in Philly?

I used to live outside of Philadelphia in the Brandywine Valley, and concealed carry laws are very unrestrictive. About the only places one couldn't carry were schools, state/federal buildings, and national parks.

Unlike a bunch of other states where almost anyone can post a sign saying "No Concealed Weapons Allowed", PA specifically restricts individuals, businesses, and even local governments from doing anything that circumvents the right to carry.

Jim

#148314 - 09/10/08 08:07 PM Re: Subway Beating with hammer..No one helped.. [Re: Paragon]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
If I just stood around and watched that happen without trying to intervene I think I would have trouble getting a good nights sleep for a very long time.

#148319 - 09/10/08 08:34 PM Re: Subway Beating with hammer..No one helped.. [Re: Nishnabotna]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
The attacker (thankfully) must be the most incompetent hammer wielding nut on the planet! How do you beat someone with a framing hammer for FIVE MINUTES without killing them! IMO he should never see the light of day again.

The victim is one lucky soul.

#148322 - 09/10/08 08:43 PM Re: Subway Beating with hammer..No one helped.. [Re: 7point82]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: 7point82
The victim is one lucky soul.

Somehow, I don't imagine he's feeling all that lucky right about now. ;-)

Jeff

#148327 - 09/10/08 09:03 PM Re: Subway Beating with hammer..No one helped.. [Re: Jeff_M]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
It's simple, no one wanted to be arrested for assault and battery, and maybe even charged with a race crime. They may not have been found guilty of the crime, but it is highly likely everyone involved would've been hauled downtown and booked until trial time, especially if there'd have been more than one defender beating down the assailant.

This way, none of the standers by got cuffed and stuffed. Maybe not too moral, but they aren't under any legal obligation to intervene in any way.

This is the type of society we have elected to live in. I don't like it much either, but it is what the majority seem to want, and it's still the best deal going, so I guess we make the best of it, and get our licks in when we can.

#148329 - 09/10/08 09:24 PM Re: Subway Beating with hammer..No one helped.. [Re: benjammin]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
How do you react to it? Unless you have some sort of training in hand to hand combat, it may be difficult to convince yourself to provoke a hammer-wielding attacker in a closed space. I'm not even sure what I would do. Probably elbow the guy in the temple and go to jail...

After the attack, everyone may just have been shell-shocked.

Quote:
The victim was just going home from work, minding his own business, listening to his iPod.

Anybody remember the "subway survival kit" thread? There was an iPod on the newspaper's "recommended subway carry" list. Personally, I find the coincidence hilarious.

www.kravmagafederation.com

#148333 - 09/10/08 09:30 PM Re: Subway Beating with hammer..No one helped.. [Re: benjammin]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

I for one would not have stood around. Much like the time I didn't stand around the time a man was assaulting a woman in the resturant I was having dinner in. The guy very quickly found himself off his feet "supported" by a choke hold. He responded with "its alright, she's my sister" followed by my "I don't care if she is, no man is going to assault a woman in my presence"
As a interesting side note, turns out he was the boss of the resturant. And the woman I was with, her mom was working there at the time. She was so worried she was going to get fired, turns out not only was she not fired, our dinner was free. Seems he was worried I'd finish what I started.

-Bill Liptak

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 325 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.