Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#147852 - 09/08/08 12:14 AM Re: Dollar Store, Family Dollar etc [Re: truckergut]
LED Offline
Veteran

I like to scour REI Outlet store. Got a 120 pair of boots for 35 bucks last year. Free shipping if you have it shipped to one of their stores and pick it up.

http://www.rei.com/outlet

#147855 - 09/08/08 01:07 AM Re: Dollar Store, Family Dollar etc [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
truckergut Offline
Stranger

Loc: Lake Charles, LA
Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
Originally Posted By: JohnE
$4000.00? for a BOB? Crikey, what are you taking with you?

I don't have that much invested in my BOB, my car kit and my PSK combined. Not even close to that much.

John E

My first aid kit is worth about $1,000. I started with a pre-packaged kit that cost me a few hundred. Then I added more stuff to it. The epipens really ran up the cost fast.

My handgun cost me $600.

My shotgun cost me $400. This, of course, doesn't actually fit inside my BOB. But I keep it next to my BOB and will be taking both out the door. I'll also be taking an air rifle ($200) for shooting squirrels and birds.

The ammunition for these guns cost me about another $300. No crap loads for me. I want to make sure that what I shoot dies.

My knife cost me $100.

My multitool cost me $100.

My water filter cost me $100.

My tent cost me $400.

My clothing cost me about $600.

And I haven't even started listing all the other miscellanious stuff like fishing gear, cookware, fire kit, paracord, snare wire, etc, etc, etc.

I understand the idea of buying the best, but that just isn't an option in my case. I'd love to have the income to purchase that level of gear, but I kinda dig being a pawn broker, and the pay for that ain't much .Heck, my EDC, BOB, weapons and the 4WD truck that totes everything probably doesn't add up to $4,000. But I can probably get from point A to point B, and do any manner of interesting things in between with the makeshift equipment I have, or can improvise from said equipment.

That was kinda the point of the thread, was to see if anyone else here was into "frugal" camping and had some links to decent gear that don't cost a month's worth of groceries to acquire. I've googled up a few, but I was curious if anyone else had some new ones.

I'd love to see some pics of your various gear, though. It gives me reasons to save up the odd bit of cash.

Truckergut

#147862 - 09/08/08 01:57 AM Re: Dollar Store, Family Dollar etc [Re: truckergut]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
All depends on what you need. Quite a lot of it you can make.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#147870 - 09/08/08 02:52 AM Re: Dollar Store, Family Dollar etc [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
A $400.00 tent is not going to protect you any better then an $80.00 tent. I have been a serous tent camper for going on 40-years and used a lot of tents. As long as you get the right features they all will do the job. And they all need to be replaced about every 4-years. The sun and weather is hard on them and even if you recoat them with waterproofing 4-years is about it. The stress points start to go, they don’t repel water, the zippers start to go. Better to just buy new and pass the old one on to some kids. I use to buy MSR or Eureka tents because they were good quality. But I found the less expensive ones do just as good a job.

It’s nice to have what you see as the best or highest quality, but you can get along nicely without buying the most expensive item, and get along well. As an example I bought a Thermette because I liked it, it was a neat way to boil water. But it cost $110.00. And while it’s nice, I really could have lived fine with an old goodwill pan and a campfire. But I like the way the Thermette works.

I think it helps to always be thinking about what to have in your BOB or to have camping in the back of your mind while out shopping. Garage sales, Wal-Mart and all the dollar stores, Goodwill & Salvation Army, are all a great place to find useful stuff.

Always try to have some money on you to take advantage of these items that seem to pop up.

Yea there is some junk out there (can you say China?) but you can find a lot of good useful items without spending a lot. I bought a Kelty external frame backpack from the Goodwill store for $4.00, I would guess it is a mid 1980s made pack. But it is in great shape.

Multi tools are great (I love my Leatherman Tool and my Swiss Army Knife. But you could put together a small pouch that has all the tools in it that a $100.00 Leatherman tool has on it, and for only $10.00. It’s not as small, but it will cost a lot less. Think about all the items you feel you need in a BOB and apply a bit of rethinking or down engineering and you will find a way to get by for much less and still do what needs to be done.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#147874 - 09/08/08 03:12 AM Re: Dollar Store, Family Dollar etc [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
CDVXF7 Offline

Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
In total, it has cost me over $4,000.

I started down that same path and had the same feelings. Up until someone broke into my car and took my BOB filled with $200.00 worth of gear. After reading Cody Lundins new book and this web page http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/index.html

I'm planning my kits to be simpler, with economical or moderately priced gear. While debating with my father about the best bug out gun, he reminded me that at the end of his tour in Vietnam he had gone through 4 various rifles, a grease gun, and several sets of boots and web gear. All for various reasons. The point being don't assume all your gear will make it to the end of the adventure.My kit may get lost, stolen, traded,ditched or destroyed before the adventure is done. My concern is that my gear would be so expensive that it would cloud my survival judgment and make me less flexible.

Edited by CDVXF7 (09/08/08 03:13 AM)

#147880 - 09/08/08 04:53 AM Re: Dollar Store, Family Dollar etc [Re: CDVXF7]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
While Dollar Stores aren't a good place to shop for things like a good knife, they are a decent source for convenient things. I found some really decent chemical light sticks. I had to leave a 5-gallon bucket of rocks (don't ask) in the dark between my bedroom door and the door I let the dog out of in the middle of the night. I grabbed one of those sticks and put it in front of the bucket; 24 hours later it was still good enough to use as a marker.

Their wooden matches are fine for starting a fire at home, so you can save your Strike-Anywheres for emergencies. Their woven nylon dog leashes are perfectly good to get that stray horse off the road in the fog. Need petroleum jelly? Waxed paper to start a fire? Metal pots for your campfire cooking experiments so you won't be killed by your wife? Half a dozen fake sunflowers to tuck in your hatband?(camouflage) Gel alcohol disinfectant? Candy bars?

Another place to get stuff is online at FreeCycle. There's probably one in your area (http://www.freecycle.org/). A lot of people seem to be continually cleaning house. You might get lucky and see a post by a woman whose boyfriend/husband left her, and she's getting rid of all his stuff. Warning: most of these people are REALLY impatient and want it gone TODAY, if not sooner. Be ready to jump. Then there are the others, the ones who want everything: canoes, entire camping outfits, travel trailers, a horse, etc. I find those posts disgustingly greedy, but a day or two later there is a "Thank you for the canoe, it's great" post.

Sue

#147882 - 09/08/08 05:48 AM Re: Dollar Store, Family Dollar etc [Re: Susan]
JohnE Offline
Addict

Loc: Southern Cal
"I had to leave a 5-gallon bucket of rocks (don't ask) in the dark between my bedroom door and the door I let the dog out of in the middle of the night. " Susan.

Oh come on, you can't just leave that just hanging out there, inquiring minds need to know...;^)

I've never had much luck with Freecycle, I suppose I should give it another chance, it's not like it's gonna cost me anything.

John E

"and all the lousy little poets
comin round
tryin' to sound like Charlie Manson"

The Future/Leonard Cohen

#147889 - 09/08/08 10:27 AM Re: Dollar Store, Family Dollar etc [Re: JohnE]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

Me and the misses have had great luck with freecycle. When we got out first apartment together we had my bedroom set, her kitchen stuff and a tv. We managed to get a complete livingroom set and computer desk for nothing but a little hard work. Susan is right about most of these people wanting it gone now if not yesterday so be ready to jump. Good luck in your hunt.

-Bill Liptak

#147911 - 09/08/08 01:59 PM Re: Dollar Store, Family Dollar etc [Re: truckergut]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Only under rare cases do I buy anything from the dollar stores, I guess I've been burned too many times, be it matches that don't light to tools or knives that break, I've found it better to be without that have gear that breaks the first time I try to use it and compound the issue (knife or tool breaking causing injury to my hand).

#147936 - 09/08/08 03:47 PM Re: Dollar Store, Family Dollar etc [Re: ]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: sockpuppet
My gear = big money, his = about 300 bucks and thats being generous. You don't need as much as you think to be able to survive in the outdoors or to be a skilled outdoorsman. Skill cannot be bought to the horror of some people no matter how many books you read or how many time you watch Ray mears while on the sofa.

While I don't disagree with you per se, high quality gear in the hands of someone with wilderness skills is not something to discount.

Several years ago we built a new house at a golf resort, and being somewhat embarassed with the hand-me-down golf clubs that I had acquired since my college days, I decided to purchase new ones. Since I didn't want to have to run out and buy another set of clubs the next time something better came around, I went with what I determined to be the best at the time -- to the tune of around $3,000.00

The first time that I played with these clubs the slice that I had always had was gone, and I was hitting the ball ~40 yards farther (and straight). My score dropped 12 strokes from my previous best score, and I have since improved somewhat from that.

I suspect that a really good golfer could easily bury me using wooden clubs from the 1950's, but that is hardly any excuse for me to not buy the best equipment my budget will allow. Modern (i.e., expensive) golf equipment allows me to be a much better golfer than I could otherwise be, and in the same way, modern camping and survival gear allows me to stay warm and dry outdoors much longer and more comfortably than the stuff that my Dad and I used when I was growing up.

Jim

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 447 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.