Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#131230 - 04/27/08 12:37 AM Re: ETS-induced knife addiction [Re: TS_Shawn]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi TS_Shawn,

Quote:
This discovery is going to cost me

Fallkniven NL5 IDUN and NL5cx IDUN (Cowry X Damascus Steel)

Perhaps a classic Scandinavian for the collection.

#131240 - 04/27/08 02:39 AM Re: ETS-induced knife addiction [Re: Art_in_FL]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL
I'm not a collector. I might have a dozen or more knives of various description. Mostly the number grew as I found ones that served my purposes better and older ones got tired. For me knives are just tools. They just have to cut.

I use guns like that; I have an Anschutz 22 rifle that is a little abused as I hunt with it. My friend thinks I’m nuts (he takes an old Marlin 22) to take an $800.00 22 out in the field to get banged around. But that’s what I bought it for, to hunt with. It works great and I score a lot of hits with it.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#131245 - 04/27/08 03:30 AM Re: ETS-induced knife addiction [Re: TS_Shawn]
Emp Offline
Stranger

Over at the Bark River forum on Knifeforums, the old hands warn against the possibility of contracting Barkaholism. I've only got one knife from them so far(a Bravo-1), but I WANT about a dozen others. Unfortunately, knife collecting is an expensive hobby. Sigh.

#131251 - 04/27/08 01:12 PM Re: ETS-induced knife addiction [Re: Emp]
Stretch Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Alamogordo, NM
Welcome TS Shawn,

Take a step into the bladeforums as someone else said.

My guess is, if history proves true, your Bark River Gameskeeper is going to lead to an expensive Bark River and convex-ground edge habit. COnvex is relatively easy to sharpen and a good one is the Falknivven like Am-Fear posted. Next up? Some Scandinavian grinds!

Take a look here at the Helle, Brusletto, Roselli, EKA, and Karesuandio knives: http://www.ragweedforge.com/

You're not done yet............ ((( laugh )))

Edited by Stretch (04/27/08 04:25 PM)

#131252 - 04/27/08 02:03 PM Re: ETS-induced knife addiction [Re: BobS]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Originally Posted By: BobS

I use guns like that; I have an Anschutz 22 rifle that is a little abused as I hunt with it.

Those Anschutz rifles are incredable, the best I've ever shot. Their target rifles with the 54 action are simply amazing. They'll put a bullet through the same hole all day long. They aren't cheap, but they're worth it.

#131277 - 04/27/08 07:51 PM Re: ETS-induced knife addiction [Re: Paul810]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Good knives, good guns, and a woman to boot. Good thing my wife's not in the room or I'd be grounded off the forum for a bit, heh heh heh...

#131283 - 04/27/08 08:02 PM Re: ETS-induced knife addiction [Re: benjammin]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
What she doesn't know can't hurt you...

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#131482 - 04/29/08 04:40 PM Re: ETS-induced knife addiction [Re: TS_Shawn]
JOEGREEN Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Long Island, New York
Well, when you fall off the wagon again, take a look at the Gene Ingram Knives website. I'll vouch for the quality of his creations.

#131678 - 04/30/08 11:53 PM Re: ETS-induced knife addiction [Re: JOEGREEN]
TS_Shawn Offline

Loc: Washington, D.C.
Thank you all for suggestions on other knives and forums. I'm checking them out. The Bark River "Gameskeeper" arrived today from A.G. Russell (excellent service!). It's more substantial than I expected as the steel is quite thick (.215"). Ritter's MK3 is my basis for comparison. They are virtually the same length. The Ritter's blade is bigger and just feels more like a tool. While handsome, the Gameskeeper is not so expensive that I'd be scared to use it. It came with a nice leather sheath. Obviously I'm new at this but it strikes me as a good value and I'm pleased with the purchase. When I figure out how to post pics I will do so.

This is an interesting blade from Bark River. I have no idea how much it is but it intrigues me. I'm hooked.

Golock

http://www.barkriverknifetool.com/bushcraft/golok/index.html

"The Bark River Golok has it's Roots in the Traditional Tools of the Region of Indonesia. This Type of Tool has been used for Centuries and has proven to be one of the most useful for Bushcraft. The Golok is Light and Compact and is easy fo carry for a large knife. It Excels at Trail Clearing, Chopping, Shelter Building, Notching and Spliting Firewood. The large knife will take Batoning without a Complaint and it great for use as a Draw Knife for Stripping Bark or Creating a Flat Area of a log. We feel it is one of the Best Bushcraft Tools avalible on Today's Market."

Blade Steel:
Hardness:
Thickness:
Blade Length:
Overall Length:
Weight:
0170-6
58RC Blade
.210 inches
11 inches
17 inches
16 ounces

#142990 - 08/06/08 02:49 AM Re: ETS-induced knife addiction [Re: TS_Shawn]
gitarmac Offline

I've come over to the "bark" side myself. I have a mini canadian, which is the most beautiful and functional fixed blade I have seen! I have spent way too much time perusing the bark river section of the interstores and have an edk seax on it's way to me, in blue maple burl! It should work well in the kitchen as well as outdoors, or slicing stuff up when cooking with the neighbors.

I still want a canadian special. At first I thought the blade shape odd but now I see how handy and useful it is. It should be very sturdy for rugged outdoor use. And the convex edge is easy to keep sharp.

Oh I still like my swamp rats but they are not nearly as portable or pretty to look at. I think the lack of coating on the barks makes it slice food better. The little mini seems to just "scare" my vegies to pieces.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.