Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#142251 - 07/30/08 03:51 PM Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
Wow, thanks for the great writeup! I feel like I'm on candlepowerforums! grin

Sounds like they overdrive the LED, and I assume this baby gets hot. I had also read the reflector was plastic, so it's good to hear yours is aluminum. (Less likely to melt...)

Have you opened the head? I saw reports it was glued closed, reminding of the good old Nuwai QIII days of soaking the head in boiling water.

#142258 - 07/30/08 04:35 PM Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation [Re: Fitzoid]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have found these photos which shows how the Aurora is constructed.

By unscrewing the bezel and glass, then by simply removing the refector, you can then unscrew the SCC P7 lamp assembly from the main body.

The P7 lamp assembly will contain the driver electronics (this was not easily accessible because it would have required some desoldering).

The heat generated by the P7 will essentially pass through the emitter assembly to the flashlight main body via the lower half of the assembly upto about 1/3 up the thread. I decided to help matters by covering the lower third of the thread using some Arctic Silver 3 heatseak compound then reassemble the flashlight.

The Aurora does get warm during long periods on the highest setting but is not hot enough not to allow you to hold the flashlight at the head where the heat is being generated. I would say the maximum temperature would be below 50C. i.e. warm to the touch but not really hot.

#142260 - 07/30/08 04:49 PM Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Fitzoid Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: WI, MA, and NYC
Ok, thanks for the info and pictures!

My apologies on your other thread about traffic lights. You're obviously a hands-on hacker type, and I really misunderstood your intent. Adding some Arctic Silver (or the equivalent) is a great idea for many of these light canons.

It seems there are a whole variety of different models of this light at dealextreme. I didn't spend the time to see what the differences are, but this could certainly be a handy "I dropped my wedding ring in the grass at night" light. (Yes, that happened to me once and it wasn't pretty. smile )

But I definitely would prefer a better balance between throw and spread, favoring throw with a bright hotspot. This kind of light creates huge amounts of glare outdoors and can be somewhat useless in bad weather.

#142261 - 07/30/08 04:59 PM Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation [Re: Fitzoid]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
I've got a Fenix T-1, but unfortunately it isn't black... I've heard of a limited production batch of black ones though.. don't know if they are still available.

#142264 - 07/30/08 05:04 PM Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation [Re: Fitzoid]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Fenix T1 (turbo) on the left and the Aurora Aurora AK-P7-3 (high) on the right.

#142267 - 07/30/08 05:19 PM Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
DesertFox Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
Surefire has a couple of new models out. The E2d LED model is nice and bright at 120 lumens on high and five lumens low. It has a simple clicky switch that always comes on in the high mode first. Plus, it is much more efficient than earlier models.

#142506 - 08/01/08 05:05 PM Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation [Re: SwampDonkey]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
I have read that the flashlight can be regarded as "tactical" when it possesses the output that can temporarily blind an agresor whose vision is adapted to the dark. Flashlights outputting 80 lumens (sometimes determined borderline) and more can do this and therefore can be regarded as "tactical".

I have experience with the Fenix L1T V2.0. Itīs very good light. My only critique is that it has no clip and its surface is too smooth so the flashlight has tendency to slip. But as for the TK10/TK11 this is not the case (judging from pictures).

#143095 - 08/06/08 11:28 PM Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation [Re: raptor]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Friends,

After considering all of your suggestions and lots of reading on the internet, I decided to go with the Fenix TK10 as my new tactical flashlight.

Since I was placing an order anyways and the Canadian retailer also sells Maxpedition equipment, I order the Jumbo S-type Versapack that I have been lusting over for about a year.

I ordered them from Fenix Tactical in Ontario and so far the transaction has been terrific. This Canadian supplier can be found here http://www.fenixtactical.com/fenix-tk10.html .

Now I have to search some old ETS Forum posts to figure out what I am going to put in my new bag!

Mike

#143097 - 08/06/08 11:46 PM Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation [Re: SwampDonkey]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
I see you got the Fenix T10. Good choice. You mentioned your job. What kind of job, may I ask, do you use your light on?

The reason I ask is because there is another Fenix light and accessory I wanted to bring to your attention. I own the LOD and the L1D (I think that's the designation, i.e., the 1xAAA and the 1xAA Fenix cree models. I also bought a spare 2xAA body and hoster that works with the 1xAA head. I'm a firefighter/paramedic, so I need a good traffic warning light. Fenix makes a small red cone that fits over the AA head. Together, the 1xAA light and the cone fit nicely into the 2xAA belt holster. In the strobe mode, this is, far and away, the most effective traffic warning light I have ever owned. I also have the white cone, which converts the AA into a very nice reading or area light when backpacking.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Jeff

#143112 - 08/07/08 01:44 AM Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation [Re: Jeff_M]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Thanks Jeff, that is a good idea. I will check-out this Fenix purchase and if all works out I am sure there will be more in the future (being the gear-junkie I am).

Mike

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 281 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.