Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#147799 - 09/07/08 06:55 PM Seconds to react! Would you survive?
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
Do you have what it takes to survive this risk? The victim is 6'3" and 270 lbs. The attacker is a dog on a leash.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/localnews/story/494978.html

American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#147802 - 09/07/08 07:25 PM Re: Seconds to react! Would you survive? [Re: ponder]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Simple Answer: Don't get too close to a strange dog when you are on someone else's property.

Otherwise, there are too many holes in this scenario to make it useful. Contrary to the focus of the reporter who obviously wanted the dog put down, I was left wondering what the "victim" did to rate such attention.

YMMV.

Craig.

#147803 - 09/07/08 07:28 PM Re: Seconds to react! Would you survive? [Re: ponder]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
I have to say that I think I would stand a better then average chance. The wife was a K-9 cop and being a deputy myself, I was able to help at practices and training. I learned how to "catch" a dog as well as some breakaway manuvers. I am also armed 85% of the time should it come to that. Having patted myself on the back and expressed my overly large ego / conciete (? spelliing) I would not EVER want to be on the real world end of an aggressing dog. There is a reason the Police and Military use them. I feel bad for the everyone involved in the article. Feel bad for guy that got bit (for obvious reasons), feel bad for the owner knowing that her dog has a good chance of being destroyed and is probably facing some civil litigation. Feel bad for the dog cause it will probably be deemed a vicious dog and live in a crate and/or be chained and muzzled for the duration of its life. It is a bad deal all the way around.

#147815 - 09/07/08 08:47 PM Re: Seconds to react! Would you survive? [Re: ]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
I think it is a classic case of he goofed and now wants to blame the dog. Many dogs will react badly if you tower over them and then reach for or touch them. It is a dominance thing. The guy wasn't a pack [family] member. A stranger not introduced.

To approach a strange dog have the owner [pack leader] introduce you. Always move very slowly. Approach dog at or below eye level. Allow the dog to sniff the back of your hand. Oder is very important to dogs. Then if and only if you are accepted. Then you can pet. Just don't grab for the throat area.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#147822 - 09/07/08 09:47 PM Re: Seconds to react! Would you survive? [Re: Raspy]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
The old man was a vet in rural upstate NY for fifty years or so, starting im 1937. He figured he got cat scratched once a day, dog bitten once a week, and horse/cow kicked once a month. He didn't
count injuries inflicted by deer, goats, sheep, monkeys, turtles, squirrels, chinchillas, poultry, or the elephant with the infected ear that traveled with the circus that came to town.
He did unpleasant things to dogs every day, seven days a week. Never got bitten in the tummy.Ever. Something is not being said here.

#147823 - 09/07/08 09:51 PM Re: Seconds to react! Would you survive? [Re: nursemike]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
On the other hand, this does show the protective quality of a decent layer of abdominal fat. I now treasure mine more than ever. Might even try to build it up a little, just in case. You never know...

Everyone should believe in something; I believe I will have another beer.

#147827 - 09/07/08 10:18 PM Re: Seconds to react! Would you survive? [Re: nursemike]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Originally Posted By: nursemike
The old man was a vet in rural upstate NY for fifty years or so, starting im 1937. He figured he got cat scratched once a day, dog bitten once a week, and horse/cow kicked once a month. He didn't
count injuries inflicted by deer, goats, sheep, monkeys, turtles, squirrels, chinchillas, poultry, or the elephant with the infected ear that traveled with the circus that came to town.
He did unpleasant things to dogs every day, seven days a week. Never got bitten in the tummy.Ever. Something is not being said here.

What do you suspect? Sexual harassment?

www.kravmagafederation.com

#147831 - 09/07/08 10:29 PM Re: Seconds to react! Would you survive? [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I stopped a vehicle for a traffic violation one day many years ago. I exited my patrol vehicle, the violator opened his door, and a huge shepard jumped out and charged me. The hammer was coming back on my .357 when the violator tackled his dog. Luckily I was able to stop that hammer, or I would have drilled them both. I figure I can outdraw most critters, and if I can't, my built in game plan is to feed them my left forearm then gut shoot them 'bout six times with .40SW.

Don't even get me started on pit bulls...

#147835 - 09/07/08 10:42 PM Re: Seconds to react! Would you survive? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I have zero training with aggressive dogs but like most of us on here have walked through possible scenarios based on what I have seen and heard.

OBG above laid out the scenario the way I have played it out in my mind; give an arm and then start ripping eyes or genitals. At the very least attack the belly.

As a cyclist I have been chased by several loud, barking dogs. I suppose you could call them aggressive but I don't stick around long enough to see if they just want a lick.

#147843 - 09/07/08 11:09 PM Re: Seconds to react! Would you survive? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
sodak Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
I stopped a vehicle for a traffic violation one day many years ago. I exited my patrol vehicle, the violator opened his door, and a huge shepard jumped out and charged me. The hammer was coming back on my .357 when the violator tackled his dog. Luckily I was able to stop that hammer, or I would have drilled them both. I figure I can outdraw most critters, and if I can't, my built in game plan is to feed them my left forearm then gut shoot them 'bout six times with .40SW.

Don't even get me started on pit bulls...

Great reflexes OBG! My Dad took out 2 Dobermans in WW2 with an old "Tommy Gun". The SS Officer he was arresting pretended not to speak English until the Tommy Gun ended up under his chin. He was real cooperative then.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 495 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.