The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#147633 - 09/06/08 11:00 AM CostCO Emergency Food Supply
Coaster Offline
Stranger

Loc: Ohio
I just ran across this and I'd never seen any mention of it before.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.asp...&lang=en-US

I'm not totally sure it's worth $75 a bucket but it does have a long shelf life.

#147636 - 09/06/08 11:26 AM Re: CostCO Emergency Food Supply [Re: Coaster]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
It isn't really.

The calorie count is sub par, the servings are tiny, and it's basically a salt lick. Philip posted about it about a while back, here.

It might have some use for sauce and soup bases, but very underwhelming soup and sauce.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#147645 - 09/06/08 01:26 PM Re: CostCO Emergency Food Supply [Re: Coaster]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Welcome Newguy!

I believe that the general consensus is they are not worth the money. At least not for the amount of meals they claim to contain. Better than nothing for sure...

#147649 - 09/06/08 03:11 PM Re: CostCO Emergency Food Supply [Re: OldBaldGuy]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

Is there a good alternative for something pre-made that you can get for an office (for the whole office, not just yourself)?

Thanks,

-john

#147651 - 09/06/08 03:52 PM Re: CostCO Emergency Food Supply [Re: JohnN]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Is there a good alternative for something pre-made that you can get for an office (for the whole office, not just yourself)?

Slimfast products are quite good as emergency food, they are absolutely packed with calories, with lots of vitamins and minerals.

http://www.slim-fast.com/products/products.aspx

The ladies in the office will love you if you get them a few cans of High Protein Creamy Chocolate Milk Shakes.

McVities Milk Chocolate Digestives are best kept for yourself though.

http://www.englishteastore.com/cok008.html

If the office has a microwave then some spotted dick makes a tasty treat.

http://www.englishteastore.com/cak004.html

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (09/06/08 04:18 PM)

#147658 - 09/06/08 04:59 PM Re: CostCO Emergency Food Supply [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...spotted dick..."

Not at all what I suspected...

#147667 - 09/06/08 06:51 PM Re: CostCO Emergency Food Supply [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Am_Fear's ethnocentric posting points out the single most overlooked point of emergency food- palatability.

If I was a cowboy, and I have been, being handed something called 'Western Stew' from an 'all vegetarian' survival bucket would recreate a scene from an old Clint Eastwood movie and a convenient cottonwood.

A survival situation is #1 an exercise in increased physical and emotional stress.Any foods should be FAMILIAR. If you're going with MRE's,MAINSTAY bar or 20 boxes of Oreo cookies with powdered milk EAT ONE.If you find it unpalatable, it's going to be a LONG 72 hours.

A 72 hour food supply can be easilly assembled with familiar bulk and single serve items. The simple strategy of periodic USE and ROTATION will insure freshness as good, if not better than some 20 year plastic bucket.
The main criteria is reduced water which is prohibitively heavy in some canned goods. The flip side is we need water and must match those canned goods for cooking.

This COSCO product represents a marketing response to a new retail opportunity. It appeals to NEW survival consumers who are newly aware of potential disasters. The flaw is they, and COSCO think a convenient bucket wil be both effective and instant gratification like so many other consumer baubles.

Conversation gleaned from recent observation AT A COSCO, customer standing outside COSCO talking on cellphone " Hey babe, yes, I just left COSCO. I've got the champagne and sundried tomatos you needed, but they were all out of smoked almonds. Yes, I know I guess I'll swing by the deli and try them after I fill the Corvette up - oh, is our SMELL Oil C/C maxed out? Oh, and I got this 72 hour survival bucket thing. So we don't have to worry about earthquakes anymore. Love you, kiss,kiss." Turns up radio playing I LOVE L.A. and pulls out, giving a rude guesture to lady he almost backed into.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (09/06/08 07:03 PM)

#147675 - 09/06/08 08:50 PM Re: CostCO Emergency Food Supply [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Are you sure he wasn't driving a Mercedes or a BMW? They seem to be the kings of those gestures...

#147701 - 09/07/08 12:23 AM Re: CostCO Emergency Food Supply [Re: OldBaldGuy]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
Around here Lexus drivers seem to be the most adept at colorfull hand gestures.

#147711 - 09/07/08 01:34 AM Re: CostCO Emergency Food Supply [Re: RayW]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Went to Sam's yesterday, to buy survival food supply for two:

1 65 serving box of dehydrated mashed taters (dw doesn't like rice)
1 box /48 servings instant oatmeal
6 cans of chili
8 cans of soup
1 box/ 30 granola bars
10 cans of tuna

Total cost- $48; looks like about 191 servings. Nutritional value-not great, not awful. All items are favorites of the household, and can be rotated, except the taters-prefer fresh when available. cannot help it-Irish heritage. Still looking for dehydrated cabbage, faith and begorrah.

need to add some non-fat dry milk, dehydrated soups, peanut butter, crackers.

Found a source of dried cheese and whole eggs in WI, will report findings,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 117 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.