Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#147551 - 09/05/08 08:39 PM Re: 72 hour kit without a knife recommended in Wash DC [Re: Lono]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: Lono

All useful situations in a Red Cross shelter - and if you're put to work opening boxes, helping in First Aid, or general maintenance I bet they give you a box cutters or other appropriate tools. I think the point of the Red Cross ban is focussed on those who are sheltered, keeping them out of their hands and reducing the incidence of injury through short tempers and long hours.

But I think your list gets a little hypothetical near the end - doubtful they'd want someone without an electrician's license splicing wires in a shelter, and I think they'd be happy to poke a hole in a water bottle for you if it helps you out. The one I can't say on is whether you're encouraged to set up makeshift curtains/privacy walls, that cuts both ways, both for privacy and safety of shelter occupants.

mmmK

They aren't going to allow you to carry a pocket knife but you think they are going to provide you box knives, EMT shears, scissors, etc as needed. I guess a brief mental evaluation will be performed in the event that staff considers getting a box cutter out of the weapons locker. All of those items that get loaned out would have to be inventoried, checked in/out or there would be no point in stopping folks at the door with them.

You assume the wires that Blast is splicing are for some official purpose and not just rigging his radio to run off different batteries, fixing headphones or the power cord on his cell phone.

You're already an refugee & you're sure they are going to have someone available to poke a hole in Blast's DD's water bottle. This means the staff is allowed sharps and they have a LOT of time on their hands.

Finally Blast's curtains are shot down because they're a safety concern. They're a safety concern around a temporary infirmary or toilet area? You seem to be able to think up scenarios where the curtains are a problem but no scenarios where they are beneficial.

You seem to be working very hard to debunk each of Blast's points while doing no work to figure out the other point of view.

This thread seems to be going down the road where someone asks "So why do you [b]need a car?". Twenty people then spend the next week trying to explain why we need cars only to have each point systematically shot down because we have feet, bicycles, buses, trains, plains, etc.[/b]

Blast did as good a job as I can imagine of trying to break it down.

Sorry, this post was a bit sarcastic. I couldn't help it. wink

#147552 - 09/05/08 08:53 PM Re: 72 hour kit without a knife recommended in Was [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
I think, since nobody has mentioned metal detectors or strip searches , SOP in this situation is to slip your multi tool, pocket knife or Battlemistress into this nifty clothing feature- it's called a pocket and heed that greatly under appreciated Nimrod Elmer Fudd's very sage advise while being foil to Bugs and Daffy, " Be wery wery quiet."

Now Chris, don't go getting all rational on us.

As I've said before, I've never seen anyone searched at or as a condition of admission to a Red Cross shelter, or any other shelter, unless their own individual behavior brought them to the attention of the local police standing by at the shelter.

The rules, like knives themselves, are merely tools available when needed for shelter managers in dealing with hordes of highly stressed-out people of various socio-economic and cultural backgrounds suddenly crowded together. Be reasonable, be discreet, avoid getting into altercations or other disruptive behavior, and no one is going to bother you.

As far as the Red Cross is concerned, sheltering is a voluntary activity. If you have a problem with the rules, you are free to leave. (The local authorities may have different ideas, however. But that's their,and not the Red Cross's, doing.)

If anyone has a different actual experience, I'd certainly like to hear about it.

Jeff

#147554 - 09/05/08 09:13 PM Re: 72 hour kit without a knife recommended in Was [Re: Jeff_M]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
On the original topic I am conflicted. While you would hope that people giving other people advice (such as afore mentioned recommendation go kit) would do a good job, I'd also suggest that people who totally outsource their thinking get what they deserve.

"Hey dude! What's this squishy thing between my ears?!"

Actually, I'm willing to give the creators of the list the benefit of the doubt. They probably really have to aim for the lowest possible denominator, and in that context, if you get people to bring a smaller set of items instead of blowing it off all together, you might still be ahead of the game.

The area I fault them with is not having links to additional resources on the topic or perhaps calling this the "minimal preparations" page and having a supplemental "additional preparations" page.

On the latter topic, I think you want to avoid any type of shelter if you have the means to. We can quibble about details, but the bottom line is once you commit yourself to the mercy of someone else, you are... um... at their mercy.

My main concern is that the ongoing predilection towards forced evacuations. While I think it is perfectly fine for them to suggest "It would be a REAL bad idea to stay and here is why." and "If you change your mind it's too late, nobody is going to come for you.", I feel it should still be my decision*, esp. since once displaced, you are more likely to end up in some sort of shelter.

* After all, last I heard there was some squishy thing between my ears that needs some exercise.

-john

Edited by JohnN (09/05/08 11:10 PM)

#147557 - 09/05/08 09:41 PM Re: 72 hour kit without a knife recommended in Wash DC [Re: Lono]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: Lono
All useful situations in a Red Cross shelter - and if you're put to work opening boxes, helping in First Aid, or general maintenance I bet they give you a box cutters or other appropriate tools. I think the point of the Red Cross ban is focussed on those who are sheltered, keeping them out of their hands and reducing the incidence of injury through short tempers and long hours.

...snip...

Nope - the shelter workers are not supposed to have knives. Heck, technically, there is no exemption for those working in the kitchen
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#147560 - 09/05/08 10:10 PM Re: 72 hour kit without a knife recommended in Wash DC [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
...snip...I think, since nobody has mentioned metal detectors or strip searches ...snip...

I know at shelters around here - they do have plans (location depending) on metal detectors, with the PD manning them
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#147569 - 09/05/08 10:54 PM Re: 72 hour kit without a knife recommended in Wash DC [Re: Lono]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Hmmm....

You've never had a block of cheese, two hard boiled eggs, piece of sausage, two apples, and a loaf of bread to feed six people.

You've never had to add oil, break fluid, coolant or wiper fluid, and not had a funnel, but you've been able to find an empty soda bottle.

You've never been confronted with one of those cursed plastic clamshells.

You've never faced a container that is reinforced with nylon strapping. How about tape with fiberglass threads.

You've never watched a coworker actually put his tie in the paper shredder.

Yes, some of these things can be dealt with with a pair of scissors. But let's face it, scissors lack versatility. And the first scenario doesn't do didly for scissors.

On top of everything Blast mentioned, all of which are actually pretty real world. Shelters still have a hard time remembering to bring cots and blankets- forgetting to bring privacy curtains if you have to go to honey buckets is something really easy to see.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#147571 - 09/05/08 11:04 PM Re: 72 hour kit without a knife recommended in Wash DC [Re: ironraven]
Air_Pirate Offline
It looked easier on TV!
Journeyman

Loc: Memphis, TN
The government helps out plenty.

Gustav went much better than Katrina. Why? Because all the people that sat around before Katrina waiting for someone to tell them what they should do finally had someone tell them what to do. If only these lists had come out 3 years ago, alot of people would have been saved.

#147581 - 09/05/08 11:50 PM Re: 72 hour kit without a knife recommended in Was [Re: JohnN]
LED Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: JohnN
On the latter topic, I think you want to avoid any type of shelter if you have the means to. We can quibble about details, but the bottom line is once you commit yourself to the mercy of someone else, you are... um... at their mercy.

-john

Well said. I dare say we're all in agreement here.

#147583 - 09/06/08 12:28 AM Re: 72 hour kit without a knife recommended in Was [Re: LED]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Can I just come back to the topic of making shelters safe for mankind?

EMT shears get dulled quickly (rendering them useless for actual medical emergencies), but scissors make for nasty wounds.

It is not possible to "disarm" everyone in a shelter or otherwise. Nor is it desirable. Taking weapons away means putting the biggest males in charge. Is that wise?

www.kravmagafederation.com

#147584 - 09/06/08 12:44 AM Re: 72 hour kit without a knife recommended in Was [Re: Rodion]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Rodion
It is not possible to "disarm" everyone in a shelter or otherwise.

Amen to that. They can't even keep weapons out of prisons, and that's about the tightest security there is.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 414 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.