Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#147491 - 09/05/08 01:37 PM Anyone here ever use a MobyStick?
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

I'm looking for a fishing rod that would be easier to bug out with than my current two-piece rod. I'm looking at the MobyStick right now. Anyone here have first hand experience with this rod?

#147498 - 09/05/08 02:50 PM Re: Anyone here ever use a MobyStick? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN

#147499 - 09/05/08 03:05 PM Re: Anyone here ever use a MobyStick? [Re: GoatRider]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
I have had both rods at one time or another. They both are good. The pocket fisherman is a little more difficult to get a good cast but it works. The MobyStick works well but as GoatRider said takes up more space as you need to have a reel and tackle. If I had to make a choice for a bob it would have to be the pocket fisherman, if it were for vehicle / weekend carry, I would go with the MobyStick.

#147500 - 09/05/08 03:22 PM Re: Anyone here ever use a MobyStick? [Re: epirider]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: epirider
The pocket fisherman is a little more difficult to get a good cast but it works.

That's what worries me. I don't know how accurate I could be with something like that. And I imagine it would be difficult to get the lure action that longer rods can achieve.

#147501 - 09/05/08 03:32 PM Re: Anyone here ever use a MobyStick? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hi CityBoyGoneCountry,

I don't have the Mobystick, but it looks like a good quality rod. I would go for the larger Champion MS270 as it will handle sea conditions more readily when spinning for fish like mackerel and sea trout etc, assuming of course your near the sea. It looks like a high quality collapsible rods so I think it would be a good choice for a BOB. A good reel with 5 or 7 ball bearings such as the Silverado 2000 combo looks the business also. It should also handle most fresh water fishing circumstances as well without any problem.

#147503 - 09/05/08 03:35 PM Re: Anyone here ever use a MobyStick? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
I had one (long time ago) and it was pretty slick for when you had a creek that did not require anything more then a worm and current to float the bait into a hole. Tried it on a lake once. I was so discouraged with its performance that I put it away and forgot about it for a few years. I guess it depends on what you are going for. I carry a collapsable rod and reel in my BOB cause I have tons of opportunity to use it around here. It gives me the ability to cast 30 - 40 feet so that the fish are not apt to spot me. I have had great luck and have had a good time with it as well as just having it for "ugly times". The DW bought it for me at Walmart. Not sure of the maker and/or quality of it, but it has suited my needs well so far.

#147545 - 09/05/08 07:24 PM Re: Anyone here ever use a MobyStick? [Re: NightHiker]
MichaelJ Offline

I bought a Fish Pen! (OK go ahead and laugh) It's mostly junk. If feels really cheap, it's almost impossible to cast using the "practice weight" it comes with, and the reel only works half the time. That is to say it will wind for a while and then stop and the start again for no apparent reason. I think it would work fine for "pole" fishing for small fish, but I get the feeling that anything bigger than a pound or two would break the whole setup. Also, as with the Mobystick, the reel and tackle is all separate so you have to come up with a bag or case.

All that said. It was worth the $6 I paid for it.

#147578 - 09/05/08 11:36 PM Re: Anyone here ever use a MobyStick? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
jasond Offline
Journeyman

Loc: North Carolina
My daughter bought me a fishing pen for fathers day and I have used it a couple of times. It's not too bad but I would not want to rely on it for long term use or for any fish larger than a couple of pounds.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 266 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.