Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#147728 - 09/07/08 03:16 AM Re: 72 hour kit without a knife recommended in Was [Re: Doug_Ritter]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Hey, why not, everyone else is getting their share. You've got the qualifications, if I were you, I'd go for it too. Nobody has more money than those who make it. I am a bit surprised this didn't happen sooner.

That said, reading all the posts on this thread has me more convinced that a local community shelter constructed, run, and used by those who would invest in building it, seems to be the best solution if individual shelter needs are less desirable and bugging out is not an option.

#147754 - 09/07/08 11:47 AM Re: 72 hour kit without a knife recommended in Was [Re: nursemike]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
My mother does the same thing for the hospital she works for.

The state wouldn't sign off on their plan until the bean counter in question was take to the site and shown that they have a 200' elevation change from the river to them. *eyeroll*

I don't think the bean counter quite knew what to make of a hospital that has water wells and filters if they need to go off town water. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#147756 - 09/07/08 12:00 PM Re: 72 hour kit without a knife recommended in Was [Re: ironraven]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: ironraven
My mother does the same thing for the hospital she works for.

The state wouldn't sign off on their plan until the bean counter in question was take to the site and shown that they have a 200' elevation change from the river to them. *eyeroll*

I don't think the bean counter quite knew what to make of a hospital that has water wells and filters if they need to go off town water. :P

The hospital was in Vermont? I spent 4 years in/at Middlebury, and learned to admire Vermonters' very practical and straight-forward approach to problem-solving-which doesn't translate into bean-counter language at all.

#147779 - 09/07/08 03:23 PM Re: 72 hour kit without a knife recommended in Was [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: Doug_Ritter

Earlier this year ETS Foundation successfully completed a test and evaluation contract for the U.S. Coast Guard and I also this year served as a Subject Matter Expert advising a U.S. government contractor on a survival related contract. In fact, while it may turn out to be temporary insanity, we have decided to actively seek additional test and evaluation work from the government to both support the good work ETS does and this site, and perhaps help us all get better value from our tax dollars. Keep your fingers crossed for us...

Consider my fingers crossed, and congratulations. It's reassuring to know that our government is actually tapping into some real expertise in the emergency preparedness arena.

Jeff

#147781 - 09/07/08 03:34 PM Re: 72 hour kit without a knife recommended in Was [Re: epirider]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: epirider
I have had the priveledge to have the red cross come to a few house fires and some bigger events. I can not say enough good things about them. Please to not take my comments as a assault on the people that serve in the red cross. I was mearly commenting on human nature and how a situation can go from bad to worse to down right chaotic in an instant. My point that I was trying to make (and I guess it was poorly done) is that bringing knives or guns into a place that is already potentially stewing is probably not a great idea for anyone involved. Those who are prepared and forgo the shelter should have some form of cutting devise. In a shelter where everything is in place and provides for the needs of the mass, then there is no need. Thats all. Guess I should have said it that way in the first place

I apologize if I gave the impression that I thought you were attacking Red Cross folks. I know you weren't. Your observations on human nature, shelters, and individual preparedness are well taken.

All I was trying to do was illustrate how a typical "Red Cross Shelter" comes in to being. My key point is that, although the Red Cross provides much of the service, they don't get to dictate all the rules, and many of the things that may happen are simply beyond their control, such as local officials setting up metal detectors or doing searches.

Furthermore, although I am a former Red Cross paid employee and volunteer, that was many years ago. I have no current active affiliation with the American Red Cross, and my comments are strictly my own opinion. I do, however, work alongside and around Red Cross folks in a different disaster capacity, and have tremendous respect and affection for them and for the American Red Cross.

Jeff

#147805 - 09/07/08 07:51 PM Re: 72 hour kit without a knife recommended in Was [Re: Jeff_M]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
No prob Jeff. I sometimes let my opinion override my diplomsy. As far as situations out of the personells control. You are preaching to the chior. I had the experience of working in a direct supervision jail. I figure it would be similar. If the mass descided to do something, one or two personell would have little say in whether it happened or not. Pretty scary and thus, I own my own survival shelter and have educated my family on self-sustaining. Best way to stay out of a bad situation is not to go into it. laugh

#147892 - 09/08/08 10:59 AM Re: 72 hour kit without a knife recommended in Was [Re: epirider]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
The Red Cross does try, and does a fairly good job with what they have, in fact, their paid staff does a great job on the local level (I think there is a tad of feather bedding/politics up at the National - well, duh)

I did the whole "shelter Managaers" series, and was on call this weekend in case NYC opened a shelter, but thank G-- we didn't have to. GNYARC does have one strange issue with opening shelters - because of the way they run day to day, it's EXTREMELY rare they actually open a shelter. Reception Centers, yes, shelters, nope. That's because there are SO many hotels in NYC that the ARC has agreements with that they usually intake the clients, and pass them off to a hotel with a voucher for food, clothes, etc. Last two shelters ops I was on, they opened 3 or 5 shelters. Between the 8 shelters, on 2 operations, the TOTAL client count was .... ONE

I do have some funny stories - like the blackout, and the fact that someone forgot to refuel the ERV before they put it away, and trying to find a place to get 10-20 gallons of diesel during a blackout... (my pickup took the place of the ERV while they went to refuel - got a bunch of goodies from NYPD because of that - I've been told it's policy that if you use flares at a scene that the PD will replace them)
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#147896 - 09/08/08 11:50 AM Re: 72 hour kit without a knife recommended in Was [Re: KG2V]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
^ That is very impressive. I only wish Magen David Adom had the same funding...

www.kravmagafederation.com

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 320 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.