Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#14752 - 04/06/03 12:23 AM Redundant Fire Starting Methods
Zip06 Offline

Loc: Oregon
Everyone knows that redundancy is very important regarding survival resources. What do you use for your primary and secondary fire starting methods?

#14753 - 04/06/03 01:10 AM Re: Redundant Fire Starting Methods
Anonymous
Unregistered

I carry a bunch of stuff so let me list it in order of preferred use

Butane Torch lighter - this is one of those with the 1300 deg. flames capable of soldering with. Seems that the flame is also fairly windproof and the one I use has a largish tank so it doesn't run out too quick

Butane electronic ignition lighter - this one is unique in that it has a metal screen inside that gets hot enough to relight the flame even should the wind blow it out. This makes it effectively windproof. It was my fav. until I started using the torch. It has fuel capacity similar to a regular bic and is about the same size. It is also electronicly lit so I expect it to be water resistant. It has no seal to keep water out but it's design is fairly safe from being effected by the wet.

mini-bic - 'nuff said

book matches - light, easy to carry and replace, just downright convenient backup.

strike anywhere matches in match safe - better than book matches and even if they won't light they provide decent kindling.

spark-lite with tinder tabs - back-up to all back-ups hides in the altoids tin.

#14754 - 04/06/03 01:17 AM Re: Redundant Fire Starting Methods
Anonymous
Unregistered

Let's see... I have several ways to make fire in my kit.

The most often used is a Yellow Bic Lighter. I also stash a yellow mini-bic in the pocket of my canteen where you put the Iodine tablets (I have iodine there as well). These are usually in my pack.

On my survival knife I have another mini-bic (yellow) and six waterproof strike anywhere matches. The knife also has a straw filled with treated cotton and two small birthday candles. The knife stays on my belt.

Clipped to the inside of my pack I have an aviation-magnesium block/sparker and a brass match case stuffed with vaseline treated cotton. These two are tied together with a short length of para-cord. This is my can't loose back-up system.

In the rainy season here I carry either small candle stubs or paper egg carton/wood shaving/parafin firestarters. No kidding, steady rain for WEEKS without pause can create a real challenge. Mac

#14755 - 04/06/03 01:22 AM Re: Redundant Fire Starting Methods
Biscuits Offline

Loc: Central Colorado
MiniMe,
Have you had any problems with the torch lighters at altitudes greater than 5,000 feet. I was looking into buying one and the guy that was selling it to me (the store owner, in fact) said that if he were me he wouldn't spend the money, because he didn't think I'd be happy with it where I was going. He sold me a 1.00 bic instead.
So much for my cynicism,
-Biscuits

#14756 - 04/06/03 01:29 AM Re: Redundant Fire Starting Methods
Anonymous
Unregistered

I haven't tried it at altitude yet. I have been quite satisfied with it at ~sea level. I tried some of these with normal resevoirs and found that I didn't get through a pack of cigars without exhausting the fuel. These really use up a lot of fuel. Mine has a small tank look to it that has held up well. The flip-top broke off somewhere but that hasn't been a problem to me yet. I will be hiking the whites a lot this summer and should be on some 4000+ elevations then. I'll let you know my experience.

I'd expect that the butane with the little screen will work at any elevations that the bic's work at and the added feature of the hot screen maintaining the flame will provide a welcome bit of wind-resistance.

I find these at convenience stores at the novelty sections by the register for less than $4.00 ( I'm a cheap guy)

#14757 - 04/06/03 01:39 AM Re: Redundant Fire Starting Methods
Biscuits Offline

Zip06,
I'm still trying to find what I like, and what works for me so think of my reply as a report on a work in progress.

I've been driving up newly melted Forest Service Roads and truck camping just to work on specific skills. I've been playing with a bic, a spark-lite and mag bar. I like the combination because they are low tech and have few moving parts. I haven't actually used the mag bar yet, but from my reading it looks like it would complement the Spark-lite well. The ferricr*&%$#@!*&ium striker that runs along one side looks like it may work well with my Becker also.

To all in copy,
Two questions:
1) Do I need to use the sharp part of my knife to strike the rod to throw a spark or can I use the worn spot (no epoxy) on the spine of the blade?
2) How does the Vaseline & cotton work? Do you just dip the ball in a jar, and light it when you need it? Can you use too much Vaseline? What is the shelf life?
-Biscuits

#14758 - 04/06/03 01:47 AM Re: Redundant Fire Starting Methods
Biscuits Offline

I'd be intrested in your findings this summer.
You may be cheap, but D**n yer fast.
Thanks,
Biscuits

#14759 - 04/06/03 01:51 AM Re: Redundant Fire Starting Methods
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I carry wax dipped strike anywhere matches in a matchsafe as my primary unit. Matches are the most familiar firesource. If I am disabled the ability of a novice to create a fire is paramount. I also carry a large metal match in my pocket, SPARKLITE with dedicated tinder in my PSK and a good supply of Lifeboat Matches. My many spare secondary knives stashed among my various gear are high carbon, high rockwell Moras. This specification allows sparking with carried or natural flints. Tinder consists of sparklite tabs and small sticks of Fatwood.

#14760 - 04/06/03 02:54 AM Re: Redundant Fire Starting Methods
Anonymous
Unregistered

I also carry paper matches, wood matches, waterproof matches, butane lighter(s), but when lighting a fire is going to be sticky business - high altitudes, snow cover, protracted rain - I carry a stove, either gasoline or propane/butane fueled. Even when you want or need a wood fire, nothing wil get it going better than good old "Boy Scout Fire Starter," also known as white gasoline. For both environmental and fire safety considerations,

On planned trips, I typically now use a stove of some sort rather than an open fire. Wood fires are becoming an emergency technique, rather than the norm. I suspect this becoming the situation for many other outdoors users as well.

#14761 - 04/06/03 03:45 AM Re: Redundant Fire Starting Methods
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a Spark Lite for redundancy, but to just start a fire you can't beat trioxane bars. They light easily with a match or lighter, but all it takes is just the smallest spark from a ferrocerium bar to get it going.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.