Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#147310 - 09/03/08 11:30 PM Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation [Re: SwampDonkey]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Itīs OK SwampDonkey smile. My question was intended for anyone. Anyway I hope you donīt mind that I have used your thread for it.

#147398 - 09/04/08 05:57 PM Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation [Re: JohnN]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
I must say those HDS flashlights look very interesting. Thanks for letting us know, JohnN.

#147400 - 09/04/08 06:40 PM Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation [Re: raptor]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

Yah, the HDS/Ralights "Twisty" is probably one of the most rugged designs you can find. Makes sense since Henry is involved in the spelunking and SAR communities.

For example, check out the shock protection in front, behind and around the edges of the extra think window, protected by a stainless steel bezel. Potted electronics, shock protection for the battery...

Ra Twisty, exploded view

And Henry's electronics and designs have been honed over the years starting with the Action Light, then he did the design for the Arc 4, then released the HDS EDC series which evolved into the NovaTac lights, and now the Ra Twisty and upcoming Ra Clicky.

As it stands, my HDS EDC Ultimate 85 goes with me everywhere.

-john

#147455 - 09/05/08 02:44 AM Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation [Re: SwampDonkey]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey
Hi ETS Forum Members,
I am leaning toward the Fenex TK10, TK11 or P3D Q5 all which can be seen at this website http://www.fenixtactical.com/fenix-tk10.html, does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with these lights?

Sorry, I didn't see your post earlier before you bought yours. I have the Fenix P3D Q5 Cree (now that's a mouthful!) which outputs 205 lumens, purchased off Ebay from a company in Ontario. I've never had a problem with it, I got it last fall. It easily puts my 2D cell Maglite to shame at a tenth of the weight!!! I had a Dorcy 1-watt that gave me nothing but grief and the vendor wouldn't honour the warranty so I "recycled" it and lesson learned. I've also got a cheap Chinese made 1-watt 3-AAA flashlight that I bought off Ebay for 11 cents. It has an inferior anodized finish compared to the Fenix but it works quite well. The Fenix has about 4x the light output so I use that as my go-to flashlight.

So far I've used Surefire/Energizer/Duracell 123A batteries in it and I just ordered a large bundle of Maxell Gold's at the wholesale price of $1/battery.

I don't know why anyone would want a black flashlight - I would rather have one that is easy to find in the dark so I put a strip of luminescent tape on the flashlight. And I use the lanyard most of the time. And I haven't the foggiest idea what a tactical flashlight is.

#147886 - 09/08/08 08:43 AM Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation [Re: Roarmeister]
Buffalohump Offline

Loc: Durban, South Africa
I too own far more flashlights that I can actually use smile

Brands I favour include: HDS/Novatac, Surefire, Fenix, Peak LED Solutions and Inova.

Of those, I would offer the following opinions:

HDS: I have the earlier version of these lights, the HDS42XR. If I could choose only one light it would be this one. These lights are no longer available but the founder of the company has reformed and is now operating under the Ra name, they currently have a Twisty and Clicky model available, in various permutations.

Surefire: I have the L2. This is a piece of functional art, so well made it is worth owning for that reason alone. The L2 offers high and low, with a floody beam that is very useful for lighting up a room. However, the beam quality - while perfectly functional - is somewhat greenish by comparison to the Novatac and Inova X03, particularly on low. It is a tactical light in that it offers a momentary on function (button), as well as permanent on (twisty).

Novatac: I have a 85P. While it is a fabulous light in many ways, I don't think it is up to HDS standards. Mine has displayed some tendencies to flicker every so often on lower settings. While it does not affect the functionality of the light in any way, it is somewhat disappointing in a $100 flashlight.

Both the HDS and Novatac can run on rechargeables and I have enthusiastically adopted this approach. Even though CR123a's cost 'only' a dollar apiece, once you use rechargeables, its hard to do it any other way.

Fenix: I have the L2D Rebel and E1. The L2D is a superb light marred only by the fact that the 'low' setting is still quite bright. However, you can get a red filter for this light that will mute the low even further. The E1 unfortunately has a horrible ringy beam but it is a very small and compact light that lasts forever on one AAA cell. If you're not fussy about beams, this is a very useful little light.

Peak LED Solutions: I have the brass Caribbean (1X CR123)and HAIII Matterhorn (1X AAA). This is a 'sleeper' company that make rock solid pocket and tac lights with beautiful beams. The Caribbean is an absolute pocket rocket if you are looking for a small light that can blast out a real blazing amount of light. You can also add a beautifully made momentary switch to certain models (my Carib has one). The Matterhorn has 3 LEDs in it and it is also a pocket rocket that lasts forever on one AAA (Energiser lithium in mine). Peaks are truly custom lights that are available in different materials, incl. brass, stainless steel and HAIII aluminium. The brass is wonderful to look at and use but it is heavy. The Matterhorn at $35 is a real sleeper bargain.

Inova. I have the X5 and X03. These are both superb lights for the price. Built extremely well, each offer exceptional runtimes (particularly the X5) and compact form factor. Everyone should own an X5 for its fantastic runtime and handy size, not to mention great price. The X03 has a flared head so is not quite as compact as the X5 but offers a fantastic beam that has both reach and a nice wide spill. It also has a beautiful white tint. These lights can be considered tactical in that they have a momentary on button as well as a twisty permanent on.

Hope this is useful. Sorry to waffle on a bit...

L-R: Caribbean, HDS42XR, Inova X5, SF L2, Fenix L2D, Inova X03.

Edited by Buffalohump (09/08/08 09:24 AM)

#147914 - 09/08/08 02:07 PM Re: Tactical Flashlight Recommedation [Re: Buffalohump]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA

Some more:

L-R: Surefire (SF) M2, Streamlight Scorpion, HDS EDC Ultimate 85 w/18650 battery pack, SF L1, SF E2e, CMG/Gerber Infinity Ultra, 1x123a battery pack for HDS.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.