The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#147337 - 09/04/08 02:48 AM Re: Long-Term Preparedness [Re: jenkinma]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I don’t see anything wrong with kids using electronic toys. We all live a different life then people did even 25-years ago. I will bet everyone here has a cell phone, 25-years ago only the super rich had them. My grandmother use to say she would never have one of those newfangled things in her kitchen (the microwave.) real cooks use a range and an oven.

Times change.

While my son and I enjoy doing a lot of non-electronic things, we also enjoy the electronics. We all do. Before you say you don’t look at what you are doing while typing that denial. It’s not a typewriter you are using, or even worst a pen and paper & a postoffice.

I think while it’s good to have a mix of electronic and non electronic things to do for kids, electronics are a large part of our lives, and if your kids are thrown into an unfamiliar situation the electronic game can be comforting and familiar to a kid. This can mean the world to the parent’s sanity. It’s a good idea to come up with a way to power your electronics when power is in short supply.

Edited by BobS (09/04/08 02:50 AM)

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#147358 - 09/04/08 10:59 AM Re: Long-Term Preparedness [Re: Hghvlocity]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Originally Posted By: Hghvlocity
Been there. During the last ice storm I was out for a week. We had portable dvd players for both kids that we would watch during the evening and I would take to work and charge or charge at relatives. My daughter had a Nintendo DS, also rechargeable and my son had an earlier version. We played board games, card games and read books. I also had a small b/w battery tv, so my daughter didn't go into shock from no electronics. I actually enjoyed the whole family huddled around a 9" b/w picture with the fire roaring, hot cocoa from the coleman stove.

We had a roughly similar experience after the ice storm. Our portable DVD player would just barely squeak out one movie on a charge so that was usually the last thing we did before bed in the evenings. Our kids love all their electronic gadgets but we also have a double size closet that is full of nothing but games and arts/crafts. That closet got a pretty thorough workout during that week. I even got a chance to read to the kids which was something we hadn't done much of in a while. Honestly it was just a camp out in the living room.

#147375 - 09/04/08 02:23 PM Re: Long-Term Preparedness [Re: Todd W]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
My kids were kids before laptops, PDQ's (or thatever those thingies are called), etc. It was TV or nothing. But they apparently got some of my genes, they both loved to read, and we always had a lot of reading material around. A few board and card games rounded it out...

#147378 - 09/04/08 03:06 PM Re: Long-Term Preparedness [Re: OldBaldGuy]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
I love to read, my son loves to have books but I never see him reading much.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#147381 - 09/04/08 03:29 PM Re: Long-Term Preparedness [Re: BobS]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Abstinence.

www.kravmagafederation.com

#153941 - 11/01/08 08:06 PM Re: SPAM [Re: jenkinma]
georges Offline
Stranger

Loc:
SPAM

Edited by Doug_Ritter (11/01/08 09:37 PM)
Edit Reason: SPAM

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 419 Guests and 78 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.