Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#147250 - 09/03/08 05:49 PM Long-Term Preparedness
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
We all think food, shelter, protection as the top 3 for long-term preparedness but what about something for the kids?

Power out for a week or two weeks could drive kids CRAZY who are used to TV, Nintendo, etc.

What are you doing to prepare your kids?

(I don't have kids, and mine won't be glued to the TV 24/7 so I can't offer much input on the subject but hoped to get some information.)

My .02, I save all the magazine subscriptions for the future as I don't even read them all now. We get ~ 30 different magazines a month (I used to sell them and wholesale is cheap)

What do you have 'prepared' for your kids to do with no power?

#147254 - 09/03/08 06:50 PM Re: Long-Term Preparedness [Re: Todd W]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Board games, card games, puzzles, books, pets. You know, the sort of stuff kids played with before video games. wink

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#147257 - 09/03/08 06:52 PM Re: Long-Term Preparedness [Re: Todd W]
Hghvlocity Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma
Been there. During the last ice storm I was out for a week. We had portable dvd players for both kids that we would watch during the evening and I would take to work and charge or charge at relatives. My daughter had a Nintendo DS, also rechargeable and my son had an earlier version. We played board games, card games and read books. I also had a small b/w battery tv, so my daughter didn't go into shock from no electronics. I actually enjoyed the whole family huddled around a 9" b/w picture with the fire roaring, hot cocoa from the coleman stove.

#147268 - 09/03/08 07:50 PM Re: Long-Term Preparedness [Re: Hghvlocity]
Angel Offline

An extended power out is the prfect time to teach survival skills. Knot tieing, tent building and inventing things in general or just talking and telling stories. My mom used to keep a box next to her sewing machine, she kept empty spools and anything we could use to build with in it. On rainy days she would give us about a foot long piece of a 2x4, some paneling nails, scraps of material, thread and about a dozen empty spools and a hammer. We made boats to use when the rain stopped. We could spend a whole day building and improving our boats. They were more like barges but it was fun. We didn't watch normally much T.V. and we didn't have video games so we didn't miss it.

#147276 - 09/03/08 08:43 PM Re: Long-Term Preparedness [Re: Todd W]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Hmm....

IF (big if) I ever have kids, books, games, and the like would be around. But I remember when I was a rug rat, I got tasked with being a go-fer and runner a lot. Best way to learn the difference between various kinds of tools and fasteners is fetching them, and if you have the wrong one it's a long walk back to the workshop. :P Also learned to sew and cook that way.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#147280 - 09/03/08 09:03 PM Re: Long-Term Preparedness [Re: ironraven]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Almost every hand held electronic item we all use (game systems included) have 12-volt charger. Most things run from 6-volts and the car chargers step the 12-volts down to the 6-volts needed to charge and run the game or electronic item.

I have a palm pilot and it runs on 5.2 volts, this is close enough to 6-volts. I made a 4-d battery pack that will charge and run my palm pilot for over a month of use, it just happens it’s the same voltage and plug type to charge my cell phone, so I get double use out of it.

Doing something like this can keep your kids games up and running for a long time. Add a solar charger for D-Batteries and you have power indefinitely. You do have to part out a car charger to make one of these, and lots of people seem unwilling to chop up a $20.00 item, but it never bothered me to do it if it gives me something I want or need.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#147284 - 09/03/08 09:26 PM Re: Long-Term Preparedness [Re: BobS]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio

Here is a picture of the D battery pack I was talking about, it will run the pictured phone and Palm Pilot.

If you don’t know how to make one of these, any TV repair shop guy can make it for you. or e-mail me and I may be able to talk you through it. The D battery holder (Also these battery holders come in C & AA size batteries if space is important) is less then $3.00 at any Radio Shack. With it, a car charger and a soldering iron and some hot melt glue you will be able to run anything electronic for months.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#147304 - 09/03/08 11:14 PM Re: Long-Term Preparedness [Re: BobS]
BillLiptak Offline
Enthusiast

+1 on board and card games. Me and DW have at least two dozen games in our closet that we enjoy playing, even when the power is still available. When we go over to my brothers house we normally bring a game or two over and make a big family night of it. Our latest aquisition, "ZOMBIES!!!" is a favorite right now, even our 10 year old neice plays it and loves it.

-Bill Liptak

#147320 - 09/04/08 12:32 AM Re: Long-Term Preparedness [Re: Todd W]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I think one of the best things my husband and I continue to do is to make sure that our kids aren't dependant on electronics. Our kids are quite happy to be unplugged. In fact, I think they prefer it.

Family hikes and board games are their two favourites, followed closely by playing cards, building stuff, working on the (real) family cars, putting together puzzles. TOGETHER - they really like TOGETHER!

Our 17 year old loves chatting with her friends on-line but she's even happier in her room creative writing or reading. And the only thing our 5 year old loves more than hiking is playing with his toy cars, superheroes and lego. Electronics (tv, games, etc.) excite him at first but he bores of them quickly. IMAGINATION - they really love to use their IMAGINATIONS!

We've got a good stash of stuff for them in our emergency supplies. The added bonus? They're both happy to play by the light of a headlamp or oil lantern.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#147325 - 09/04/08 01:13 AM Re: Long-Term Preparedness [Re: Todd W]
jenkinma Offline
Stranger

Loc: GA
My 3 SSs (Strappin' Sons) enjoy books, games like dominoes, dice, cards, Uno, Skip-bo as well as board games. They also have some "low tech" hobbies like woodcarving and drawing that would work too.

-Matt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.