The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#147267 - 09/03/08 07:48 PM A few gear reports from recent backpacking trip
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
I just completed a week long backpacking trip in the high Sierra’s and would like to share a few gear use reports:

I used a Heetsheets single under my sleeping bag for the week. I paid no attention to the various twigs, stickers, pebbles, etc. on the ground before laying it down. There were numerous pinholes by the end of the week, but no other problems resulted. I did not rig it as a fly, though.

On the first night I managed to tear a hole in it by grinding my boot heel into it while putting on boots and gaiters. I intentionally ignored it, though, and left it unpatched. It did not tear or spread a bit.

It was also rather breezy at night and I saw the edges flap and move about quite a bit, but there was no noise from it. I'm extremely pleased with how well the HeetSheet held up to a full week's rough use.

My SafeWater Anywhere inline filter did yeoman service between my large zip top Platypus "dirty" water bag and my "clean" water Camelback, using a replacement Camelback plug-in connector. I just scooped up the water, zipped it closed, plugged in the Camelback, strung it up on a tree limb or layed it up on a rock, left the Camelback on the ground, and let it drain. Overall, it was as quick and far easier than pumping. I mourn the closing of this company and the unavailability of this product, and hope they will return. Meantime, anyone know of a good source for a similar inline filter?

My Fenix 1xAAA Cree flashlight proved itself again. It was more than adequate for a forced night hike off-trail in rugged terrain, which I did a bit of for testing purposes only.

I also used a sub-1 oz. "Pepsi can" type alcohol stove, which proved just adequate for making cocoa or boiling two cups of water for freeze-dry meals, for which it consumed about 20ml of denatured alcohol. I don't think it would be suitable for more than solo simple meals, though. I used a Platypus bag as a fuel bottle for the first time, and it held up fine.

My collapsible hiking poles were real knee (and face, teeth, ankle) savers on steep, rocky ascents and descents. I've still not had need to use them to support a tarp, but I'm convinced enough of their value to never hike with a loaded pack again without them. Disabling falls and injuries are no joke to a solo hiker.

Prophylactic use of Ibuprophen before setting out seemed to help my family members who accompanied me for the first night avoid aches and pains. It was a tip I got from a Special Forces medic friend of mine.

My Dana Designs Racer-X pack was stable and comfortable enough, although seriously overloaded due to the requirement for 2 bear canisters, etc., although I wish I’d brought my Gregory Shasta instead.

As for keeping clean, I still swear by the following combination: A lightweight collapsible nylon bucket, Dr. Bronner’s pure Castile soap, and an MSR microfiber towel. This time, instead of using a bandanna as a washcloth, I cut a 3 inch square out of a cloth exfoliating scrub mitt I bought at Target. It worked much better and dried much faster than a bandanna. The towel also dried in a flash. I probably used less than 20 drops of soap fully cleaning myself and my alternating set of clothes daily.

Well, that’s all I can think of for now. I had a great time, perfect weather, and saw maybe only three other hikers other than the first and last days.

Jeff

#147270 - 09/03/08 08:05 PM Re: A few gear reports from recent backpacking trip [Re: Jeff_M]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Jeff_McCann
saw maybe only three other hikers other than the first and last days.

Three hikers in a week. Is there nowhere left on Earth where a man can find some privacy?

#147271 - 09/03/08 08:05 PM Re: A few gear reports from recent backpacking trip [Re: Jeff_M]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
I just completed a week long backpacking trip in the high Sierra’s and would like to share a few gear use reports:

As for keeping clean, ... I cut a 3 inch square out of a cloth exfoliating scrub mitt I bought at Target.

Jeff

That is a good idea. I have been using a piece of rayon camp towel but it lacks a real scrubby-rough surface.

What type of bear cannisters did you use, and what was your experience with them?

Thanks

#147272 - 09/03/08 08:14 PM Re: A few gear reports from recent backpacking trip [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry

Three hikers in a week. Is there nowhere left on Earth where a man can find some privacy?

Just get away from the trailheads and then head off-trail. I admit I was a bit shocked, though. Usually, people are crawling all over the Sierra in August. Maybe I just got lucky this time?

Jeff

#147273 - 09/03/08 08:24 PM Re: A few gear reports from recent backpacking trip [Re: dweste]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: dweste

What type of bear cannisters did you use, and what was your experience with them?

Thanks

I used one of the heavy but approved Garcia cannisters ($5 for the week, rented at Tuolumne permit office) and my old aluminum model. I think it has lost approval and is no longer made, but it is larger and lighter than the Garcia and opened on both ends. It is made of a sheet of aluminum wrapped around and riveted to a set of reinforcing ribs, with flat end caps attached by twist lock fasteners.

It's really hard to get more than 3 or 4 days worth of food in one of the Garcias, but my old one would hold about 6 days worth.

Jeff

UPDATE: It was a Gio Enterprises canister and it is NOT currently approved by the Sierra Interagency Black Bear Group, meaning by NPS regulations, either. It was when I bought it, though. Darn!

Edited by Jeff_McCann (09/03/08 08:50 PM)

#147300 - 09/03/08 11:07 PM Re: A few gear reports from recent backpacking trip [Re: Jeff_M]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
What part of the Sierra were you hiking in???

#147302 - 09/03/08 11:13 PM Re: A few gear reports from recent backpacking tri [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
What part of the Sierra were you hiking in???

North and West of Glen Aulin

Jeff

#147306 - 09/03/08 11:17 PM Re: A few gear reports from recent backpacking tri [Re: Jeff_M]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Great country!!!

#147331 - 09/04/08 02:10 AM Re: A few gear reports from recent backpacking trip [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Redbeard Offline
Stranger

Loc: CA state of confusion
Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry

Idaho, Montana, Wyoming? grin i was absolutely dumbfounded at the number of people in California...eek it stresses me out! thanks for the write-up.

i was wondering about the Pepsi can stove performance at higher altitudes in the real world..is it a "penny" stove or the open top version?

#147334 - 09/04/08 02:32 AM Re: A few gear reports from recent backpacking tri [Re: Redbeard]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Redbeard
i was wondering about the Pepsi can stove performance at higher altitudes in the real world..is it a "penny" stove or the open top version?

Open top, with foil type windscreen with holes around bottom edge, SnowPeak Solo Titanium cookpot, around 10,000 ft altitude, with frequent mild breezes.

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 253 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.