The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#146919 - 09/01/08 03:40 AM Re: Are Matches Outdated? [Re: ironraven]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
My dad was a fireman for 41-years, I have always had access to free flares through the firehouse. When I was in the boy scouts we always had a campfire. We always had a fire going good before any other troop got theirs started because I took a lot of flares with me. We got to calling them a “Boy Scout Match.” At times on rainy weekends we were the only ones with a raging fire.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#146921 - 09/01/08 04:13 AM Re: Are Matches Outdated? [Re: BobS]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Coleman fuel used to be called "Boy Scout Water" for a similar reason...

#146932 - 09/01/08 12:03 PM Re: Are Matches Outdated? [Re: BobS]
91gdub Offline

Loc: South Jersey (the 51st state)
I carry a variety of firestarting things in my EDC backpack. Matches (strike anywhere & REI waterproof), Bics and a firesteel along with dryer lint.

Will matches go out of style? Style is unimportant to me, function is. I'll continue to carry them as long as I can buy them.

#146946 - 09/01/08 01:06 PM Re: Are Matches Outdated? [Re: ironraven]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Originally Posted By: ironraven
That rules out candles

Actually I tried to light the candle using firesteel. I was quite surprised that it took only several strikes. But I agree that it is not the most straightforward method. It´s good to know that it can be done in emergency though.

#146951 - 09/01/08 01:26 PM Re: Are Matches Outdated? [Re: ]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Originally Posted By: l33tYoDuh
Though Rae did invent the missonary
position and thus begat Layla, who slept with cave bears
and begat a rock n roll song :-)

I'll stick to my mini-BICs.

YoDuh

That was Ayla, not Layla. Interestingly, she opted for the rock-striking method as opposed to spinning a branch in a piece of wood to make fire.

#146960 - 09/01/08 02:17 PM Re: Are Matches Outdated? [Re: raptor]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: raptor
Originally Posted By: ironraven
That rules out candles

Actually I tried to light the candle using firesteel. I was quite surprised that it took only several strikes. But I agree that it is not the most straightforward method. It´s good to know that it can be done in emergency though.

I can't think of a scenario where I would have candles in the wilderness. I don't have candles in my BOB, and I don't take candles camping. My main source of light in the woods is a campfire. And if I have to stray too far away from the campfire (nature calls) I have a flashlight.

The only place I do have candles is at home, and even at home they are a last resort if for some reason my battery powered lanterns malfunction. And if I do need to light a candle at home, I have a ton of lighters that can do that.

#146963 - 09/01/08 02:31 PM Re: Are Matches Outdated? [Re: ]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: sockpuppet
Some people ude a candle for lighting fires mate. Use a match or a lighter to light the candle, and then use the candle to get the fire going. This spares lighter fluid and matches, and allows you to dry out damp tinder as the candle can be held under it as long as it takes to catch. In winter, I pack and army issued "arctic candle" for this reason.

Interesting idea. I guess its importance depends on what kind of tinder you are carrying. Wetfire tinder doesn't need to be dried out, and it burns long enough to get a fire going without wasting lighter fluid. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea for me to carry a candle, just in case I'm ever in a situation where I'm forced to use natural tinder.

#146964 - 09/01/08 02:33 PM Re: Are Matches Outdated? [Re: ]
Crowe Offline
Journeyman

Originally Posted By: l33tYoDuh
Not since Tommy's Rae Dawn did the Discovery Quest will matches
ever go out of style. They're just not my first go-to method. Third
choice at best. Always have em, just never use em.

Though Rae did invent the missonary
position and thus begat Layla, who slept with cave bears
and begat a rock n roll song :-)

I'll stick to my mini-BICs.

YoDuh

ps: I know I'm dating myself but who else would go out with me?!?

I'm frightened that I understood that.

To sumise, I think it can be agreed that matches are outdated as a PRIMARY fire-starting source, but are still useful enough in certain situations where a rod or lighter are not. You can get around this I suppose...a waterproofed lighter would offer many of the same advantages, but the point is that redundancy for this tool is desirable especially since the tools are so small and light, and diversity gives you flexibility in different situations.

#147005 - 09/01/08 08:36 PM Re: Are Matches Outdated? [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I like candles for a kind of long lived tinder addition, and I always put a couple of the trick birthday candles in my match cases. Light a small one, gently place a bit of soaked tinder on it, quickly and gently add tinder. I never count on being able to get dry natural tinder, or even thawed natural tinder.

I also have three finger long and thick cheapies in my ditch kit (in plastic bag). One, two or even all three will get a fire going under almost any conditions not requiring an life raft. :P

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#147022 - 09/02/08 12:41 AM Re: Are Matches Outdated? [Re: ironraven]
sodak Offline
Addict

I carry a 9 hour candle in my daypack, one of these days, I'm going to see if it's REALLY good for 9 hours. In the cars, I keep a 3 pack of the canned heat (not sterno), I think it's called magic heat or something like that.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 466 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.