Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#147 - 02/08/01 03:51 PM Space blankets -Do they realy work?
Stefan Offline

Loc: Sweden, South
When the good old ETS forum was still alive I had a discussion on the usefulness of space blankets. I personally feel that they are of no use since they will tear in hard winds and scientific tests have proven that they dont work (I will supply anyone interested with the source of that information on request).<br>Am I still the only one that thinks that space blankets are a waste of (little) space in a northern hemisphere environment (note that I think they might be usefull in a desert survival situation).<br><br>Keep safe!<br>Stefan, Sweden<br><br>

#148 - 02/08/01 05:00 PM Re: Space blankets -Do they realy work?
tfisher Offline

Loc: Illinois, USA
Please forward your info to me: <br><br>I have used these types of space blankets on a few occasions, as a Emergency Medical Tech. and have found that you must consider the type of use and the environment at the time of use.<br><br>For example in winter climates use with other layers of insulation, (like a blanket) don't use the blanket by itself. Also don't use it as the only layer between you and the ground.<br><br>Thanks<br>Ted Fisher EMT I/D<br><br><br>

#149 - 02/08/01 05:30 PM Re: Space blankets -Do they realy work?
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
I agree, I think that their usefulness is greatly over exaggerated. I ran a marathon a few years back where a space blanket was waiting for each finisher. Some of the other runners carried a trash bag for the whole race (to use as a shell in case of rain,... it did!) Well, needless to say, I was jealous of their fashoned parkas at the finish line (55 F and drizzling), they seemed a lot more comfortable than I was in all of of my "NASA" technology!<br> Personally, I would rather have a 3 mil. thick 45 or 55 gal. contractor's garbage bag any day. I've used them in many non-emergency situations, and they have proven their usefulness time and again. When hiking, a few of those along with duct tape and paracord are the must-have expendables.<br>If you are in a situation that puts you at risk to "exposure", remember that the mechanisms for heat loss are : Convection, conduction, radiation, respiration and perspiration. I.E., Insulate yourself from the cold ground, block the wind and trap air around yourself- a space blanket is not ideal for any of these. A little knowledge and a trash bag are a lot better!<br><br><br>

#150 - 02/08/01 06:36 PM Re: Space blankets -Do they realy work?
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
If space blankets are not that great, then why does every preparedness kit I have ever heard of list one as part of its contents?<br><br>Craig<br><br>

#151 - 02/08/01 06:37 PM Re: Space blankets -Do they realy work?
Craig Offline

Loc: Collegeville, PA, USA
So where would one find a contractor's garbage bag?<br><br>Craig<br><br>

#152 - 02/08/01 09:20 PM Re: Space blankets -Do they realy work?
AndyO Offline

Any home improvement store, i.e. Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. I was fortunate enough to get a Tilia Vacuum Sealer for my birthday ( the one on the infomercials) and I vacuum seal the contractor bags in one of the vacuum seal bags- very cool indeed. IMHO- the Tilia Food Saver plus is one infomercial product that has lived up to every expectation.<br><br>

#153 - 02/08/01 09:29 PM Re: Space blankets -Do they realy work?
AndyO Offline

My guess is that they DO have a purpose. They are a barrier, they are VERY compact, and they are very inexpensive. But, in reality, I would bet it's because the marketers can say that their kits include a "NASA technology" BLANKET. What is more comforting to someone in a crises situation; the knowledge that the 72 hr. kit in their trunk contains a BLANKET (oooh) or a trash bag? I would make an exception for the SPACE bag. Those seem to do pretty well.<br><br>

#154 - 02/09/01 02:31 AM Re: Space blankets -Do they realy work?
Anonymous
Unregistered

two friends of mine hiked mount Wilson here in Calif. An electrical storm came in as they sheltered against a rock shelter with space blankets deployed.Guess what metallic sheet makes a perfect attractant for a lightning strike?They were lucky and suffered minor injuries.<br><br>

#155 - 02/14/01 01:01 AM How about using them under a layer of clothing...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I always pictured using them under one layer of clothing as an 'additional' reflectant as opposed to a blanket.<br><br>Also, I could see using it as a reflector BEHIND a fire to direct heat toward you and your shelter.<br><br><br>Plainsman <br>Plainsman's Cabin Homepage<br>Plainsman's Cabin Forums

#156 - 02/14/01 01:07 PM Re: How about using them under a layer of clothing...
Stefan Offline

Loc: Sweden, South
To use the blanket as a fire-reflector is an idea I have to try!<br>I dont know about using it underneath clothing, wouldnt one become wet with condensation? How easily is it torn underneath clothing? I think that good quality clothing that lets water evaporate is a better option.<br><br>Stefan<br><br>

#157 - 03/06/01 02:00 AM Re: Space blankets -Do they realy work?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I made myself a goose down body protection device with nylon together with ground sheet , less than approx. 2 lb and occupy nearly no space . but only protect down to around 0 degree c.( with only thermal underwear )<br><br>

#158 - 03/06/01 10:48 AM Re: Space blankets -Do they realy work?
jet Offline
Enthusiast

Out of curiosity, I once turned down my air conditioning *real* low and spent an evening in my underwear working at my computer, alternating wrapping up in a Tocuma Moutain Rescue "plastic tube tarp" and a "Space" blanket. The difference was dramatic! I froze when wrapped in plastic alone and was cozy warm when wrapped in aluminized mylar. I also compared a space "blanket" to a space "bag" and found the results similar. Out in the less controlled environment of the wilds, the bag would seem to have some pretty obvious advantages over the simple blanket, and I'm also sure that something made of a thicker plastic would have worked better than the thin plastic film TCM calls a "tarp", so I guess my comparison was limited. Since then, however, I have obtained a roll of 4ml plastic trash bags, so I suppose I'll be doing the experiment again to see how much difference some nice thick plastic makes when compared to the flimsy tube tarp. But until and unless I feel the results for myself, I'll definitely take a space blanket over a trash bag.<br>For what it's worth ...<br><br>

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.