Journeyman

Loc: Fort Bragg, NC
Here's mine.

(Upper left picture)

#150781 - 10/03/08 02:44 AM Re: Headlamp [Re: ]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
To save night vision (never really been an issue for me) I would think a flashlight held in your hand would do better then a light right by your eyes. Less chance your pupils would close up the farther the light is from your eyes.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#150818 - 10/03/08 05:40 PM Re: Headlamp [Re: BobS]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: BobS
To save night vision (never really been an issue for me) I would think a flashlight held in your hand would do better then a light right by your eyes. Less chance your pupils would close up the farther the light is from your eyes.
Hmm. You may be right about that. Anytime I've reached up to adjust my headlamp and have passed my hand in front of the light, I've wound up blinded by all the light bouncing off my hand into my eyes. However, that hands free thing really works for me, particularly when cooking or when in a low slung tent where I need both hands free.

The color of the light really does make a difference, though. Red light in particular (the military has done studies) is good at preserving night vision.

Well, there's a 40% chance of snow with temps above freezing this weekend. Gonna be slushy if it does snow. A perfect field test for my new Princeton Tec EOS. Wish me and my new EOS headlamp a happy field trial. smile

Edited by Hikin_Jim (10/03/08 05:44 PM)
Edit Reason: kuz i cain't spel reel gud

#150939 - 10/05/08 04:20 AM Re: Headlamp [Re: Hikin_Jim]
kirbysdl Offline
Stranger

I'm trying to decide between the E+Lite and the Zebra H30 for a backup light. My primary light is a Surefire L4, and I want the headlamp to serve as backup and flexibility. With that in mind,

The benefits of the H30 are:
Much brighter, and so more useful as a backup for the L4
Newer LED tech
Uses the same batteries as my primary light, no need to pack 2 types of replacement batteries

The benefits of the E+Lite are:
Cheaper
Lighter
Smaller?
Red light option
Strobe option
Known to be reliable (is the H30 as bulletproof?)

Any thoughts?

#151017 - 10/06/08 03:53 AM Re: Headlamp [Re: kirbysdl]
GregGates Offline
Stranger

My battery standard is AA and I use the ZebraLight H50-Q5 headlamp.

#151058 - 10/06/08 04:34 PM Re: Headlamp [Re: GregGates]
firefly99 Offline
Journeyman

My all time favourite headlamp is the Inova 24/7.

#151079 - 10/06/08 08:15 PM Re: Headlamp [Re: firefly99]
kirbysdl Offline
Stranger

I saw an E+Lite at REI yesterday, and the switch seemed a bit flaky. It would change modes reliably, but putting just a bit of pressure on the switch would cause the light to flicker or dim. When I left the switch alone it stabilized, but it scares me that the supposedly rugged backup light has such sensitive contacts on its switch. Has anyone else seen this on their E+Lite?

#151102 - 10/06/08 11:50 PM Re: Headlamp [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
Originally Posted By: BobS
Hmm. You may be right about that. Anytime I've reached up to adjust my headlamp and have passed my hand in front of the light, I've wound up blinded by all the light bouncing off my hand into my eyes. However, that hands free thing really works for me, particularly when cooking or when in a low slung tent where I need both hands free.

The color of the light really does make a difference, though. Red light in particular (the military has done studies) is good at preserving night vision.

Well, there's a 40% chance of snow with temps above freezing this weekend. Gonna be slushy if it does snow. A perfect field test for my new Princeton Tec EOS. Wish me and my new EOS headlamp a happy field trial. smile
Well, it did rain on my backpacking trip this weekend, but fortunately or unfortunately, it stopped raining by the time it was dark, so no good field test feedback from me on the EOS other than it's a good bright light and that the lowest setting is plenty bright for camp chores and the like.

#151108 - 10/07/08 12:44 AM Re: Headlamp [Re: KenK]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
Originally Posted By: KenK
Flashlightreviews.com really liked them both, giving the EOS 5 stars and the Tikka XP 4.5 stars. The lower rating is because the Tikka XP is not regulated. They also rated the Princeton Tec Apex with 5 stars, but that is bigger with a battery pack that rides at the back of the head - not my preference.

If it matters to you, the EOS can use lithium batteries, but the Tikka XP cannot.

Ken K.

I use a Princeton Tec Apex Pro (the 4 AA cell variety) a LOT...and under a number of conditions. I like the lamp a lot...great light...spot to flood, low to high and flash. The only thing I and other users have seen which may be a problem is that the orange housing develops very fine cracking. That said, Princeton Tec is VERY good about replacement. I will also note that I use my Apex all the time and sometimes for hours on end. I've been using it for about 4 years and replaced it two years ago...and I'm about to send mine in again.

On the higher end side...cavers LOVE the Stenlight S7 http://www.stenlight.com/ .

Edited by yeti (10/08/08 12:17 AM)

#151276 - 10/08/08 06:37 PM Re: Headlamp [Re: kirbysdl]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: kirbysdl
I saw an E+Lite at REI yesterday, and the switch seemed a bit flaky. It would change modes reliably, but putting just a bit of pressure on the switch would cause the light to flicker or dim. When I left the switch alone it stabilized, but it scares me that the supposedly rugged backup light has such sensitive contacts on its switch. Has anyone else seen this on their E+Lite?
I don't think so. It's a rotary switch, and I can turn it so it only just makes contact. If I put it in a mid position it's solid.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.