Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#146669 - 08/30/08 01:08 PM Re: Baton Rouge runs out of bread ahead of storm [Re: el_diabl0]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Did the New Orleans people make a bad name for themselves during Katrina? Houston said they could not come to the Astrodome. Rumors in Dallas are that the people trashed the Astrodome costing millions to clean up. Even New Orleans is not allowing the Superdome to be used.

I doubt all those motels up to Memphis are full and wonder if they are just saying that so people don't "move in" to their motel in the event of Katrina: Part Deaux. Feel free to disagree and set me straight.

#146676 - 08/30/08 01:49 PM Re: Baton Rouge runs out of bread ahead of storm [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
I suggest that people make their own bread. It's very easy and it's almost impossible to fail. I used to make my own bread, very barebone when I was broke. I just used 3 cups of white flour, 3 tea spoon of instant yeast and about 1 cup of tepid water... Don't forget to at least add 1 tea spoon of salt or else it really doesn't taste good. You can naturally improve on it and buy flour meant for making bread which has more gluten or something, and go fancier with regular yeast and so on but this is a really quick and easy method that works.

So next step after storing water would be to learn to make bread and soup, since you cannot survive only with bread but you can with bread and soup.

Frankie

#146703 - 08/30/08 06:54 PM Re: Baton Rouge runs out of bread ahead of storm [Re: Frankie]
LED Offline
Veteran

Made some "Ray Mears" aussie camp bread one time after watching an episode online. Spelt flour, water, powdered milk, and a little trail mix thrown in. (forgot the baking powder, oops) Mixed it in my MSR stainless cook pot, covered it, threw it in the oven and 45 min. later had (dense) but tasty bread. A little honey and some salt would have made it even better.

#146719 - 08/30/08 09:52 PM Re: Baton Rouge runs out of bread ahead of storm [Re: samhain]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: samhain
Fear not!!

Though there's no sliced bread on the shelves, I saw tons of French Bread!!!

Time for peanut butter and jelly po-boys!!

Their running out of sliced bread is a good sign and a very good thing. It means that people are laying in extra, just in case. A loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter is actually a very good start. It every family would just meet this standard, and lay in a couple of gallons of water, it would go a long way to making them at least minimally prepared.

Preparedness, as with just about anything else, gives you the most bang for the buck when you first start. The difference between nothing and minimal supplies is huge. The difference between six months supplies and nine month isn't so great.

#146732 - 08/30/08 11:54 PM Re: Baton Rouge runs out of bread ahead of storm [Re: jshannon]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: jshannon
Did the New Orleans people make a bad name for themselves during Katrina? Houston said they could not come to the Astrodome. Rumors in Dallas are that the people trashed the Astrodome costing millions to clean up..

My Houston contacts told me that within 4 hours of the first buses arriving at the Astrodome, a number of business and homes were broken into by the new arrivals.
Many hotels and motels were trashed, the refuges caused a lot of break in's and vandalism in many areas. Refuges would not leave some emergency housing/hotels and had to be forced out.
I'd say a number of areas are sorry they took in Katrina refuges. Sigh

There is a lot more I was told by people who were there, including LEO's, but this isn't the place,

#146776 - 08/31/08 03:09 AM Re: Baton Rouge runs out of bread ahead of storm [Re: Stu]
RobertRogers Offline
Survivor

What a mess.

You'll probably find tons of bread in the local dumps shortly after the storm passes.

#146780 - 08/31/08 03:28 AM Re: Baton Rouge runs out of bread ahead of storm [Re: RobertRogers]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Scrape off the mold, it still toasts well...

#146781 - 08/31/08 03:58 AM Re: Baton Rouge runs out of bread ahead of storm [Re: el_diabl0]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Baton Rouge has been resupplied with bread, flashlights, batteries, etc as of this afternoon.

#146816 - 08/31/08 01:11 PM Re: Baton Rouge runs out of bread ahead of storm [Re: wildman800]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Originally Posted By: wildman800
Baton Rouge has been resupplied with bread, flashlights, batteries, etc as of this afternoon.

I did a last minute ice run this morning.

The Wallyworld near us (O'Neal) was stripped bare of batteries except AAA's and a few AA's. They were closing at noon.

Our Albertson's had D's out the whazzoo. There seemed to be a surprising amount of ice available, even though there was a LSU home game yesterday.

Things seemed pretty calm at Albertson's but Wallyworld had some anxious scurring going on.

With the exception of putting up my plywood on the southern and western windows, we're as good as we're gonna get.

My only anxiety is whether I will be able to get home Monday afternoon. I'm ready to stay the night at the hospital, but I really want to be home with my wife and child.

We'll see what the conditions are at that time, but my impulse is to say "screw the hurricane, I'm getting to my wife and child".

Will ere on the side of caution of course.

I am a little ticked at the media though. They spend all their time on NOLA, but it looks like Morgan City, and Grand Isle are the ones that are going to get clobbered. I guess NOLA is the poster child for hurricane drama and the more interesting.

Edited by samhain (08/31/08 01:12 PM)

#146817 - 08/31/08 01:19 PM Re: Baton Rouge runs out of bread ahead of storm [Re: samhain]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Maybe they hang around NO awaiting for the mayor to mess up again...

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.