Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#145623 - 08/24/08 01:18 PM Re: Speaking of precious metals... [Re: ironraven]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
<bows>

Thank you, sir. Good thing that the only stuff _I_ hoard isn't illegal yet...and God help us if any of it ever is.

Then again, is some states it is illegal to have more than two weeks' worth of food...If by some accident I should ever win the lottery, I think I'm going to have to make a country smile

Back in the '80s a guy did that with an offshore oil platform. And we have the server farm island off Britain. At least there's precedent.

#145625 - 08/24/08 01:42 PM Re: Speaking of precious metals... [Re: NeighborBill]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: billy.guttery
Then again, is some states it is illegal to have more than two weeks' worth of food...

What?!? Which states?

#145742 - 08/25/08 12:22 AM Re: Speaking of precious metals... [Re: Grouch]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

From my research (on states west of the Mississippi) all states have some kind of anti-hoarding laws on the books (usually only enforceable during a state of emergency). Two weeks' food was the magical number I kept running up against, probably the result of some federal study.

The only really weird one I remember (this has been a few years), was Hawaii, where a one week rule was enforceable in normal times (not in the actual legislation, but in committee notes attached):

128-28 Forfeitures. The forfeiture of any property unlawfully possessed, pursuant to paragraph (2) of section 128-8, may be adjudged upon conviction of the offender found to be unlawfully in possession of the same, where no person other than the offender is entitled to notice and hearing with respect to the forfeiture, or the forfeiture may be enforced by an appropriate civil proceeding brought in the name of the State. The district courts and circuit courts shall have concurrent jurisdiction of the civil proceedings. Any property forfeited as provided in this section may be ordered destroyed, or may be ordered delivered for public use to such agency as shall be designated by the governor or the governor's representative, or may be ordered sold, wholly or partially, for the account of the State. [L 1951, c 268, pt of 2; RL 1955, 359-25; HRS 128- 28; am imp L 1984, c 90, 1]"

Enjoy the paranoia, I know I have.

If your state or area is ever declared a "disaster" by the governer you are fully under the jurisdiction of the federal gubmint...and FEMA smile

#145750 - 08/25/08 01:01 AM Re: Speaking of precious metals... [Re: NeighborBill]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: billy.guttery
If your state or area is ever declared a "disaster" by the governer you are fully under the jurisdiction of the federal gubmint...and FEMA smile

I won't say what I'm thinking because I don't want black helicopters to swoop down on me. eek

#145758 - 08/25/08 01:26 AM Re: Speaking of precious metals... [Re: Grouch]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

It's not the black helicopters you have to worry about....

....just the green ones.

#145759 - 08/25/08 01:33 AM Re: Speaking of precious metals... [Re: NeighborBill]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Well, I witnessed up close how FEMA operates (post-Katrina) so I'm pretty confident that I can pull the wool over their eyes when it comes to my stash.

#146753 - 08/31/08 01:37 AM Re: Speaking of precious metals... [Re: Grouch]
RobertRogers Offline
Survivor

Yep it is true. Come disaster the government can take your preparedness stocks and issue them to the public. Of course, they are likely to take care of their own family needs from your stash first.

Welcome to America, home of the free.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.