The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#146204 - 08/27/08 07:13 PM Sailboat security
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Yesterday I went to look at what may be my new home - a sailboat. The owner was to meet us but we got delayed and never did get together.

Nonetheless I was with a friend who berths a boat at the same marina, so we had no problem getting through the electronic "owners and friends" gate. Previously I have politely asked strangers going through the gate to let me in for various reasons I made up and about one in three does so. Several times I have just followed others in; this works especially well if you are carrying something in both arms.

My friend knew about where the boat was, so we walked up to it. No one answered a knock on the deck or any "hellos." So we just went on board. And then because there were no locks, we went into the cabin to look around.

Nothing but a knot or two secured the boat to the berth, so if we wanted to I guess we could have started the engine, motored out, had a nice sail to wherever and been on our merry way.

My friend says he came down to his boat after a couple weeks absence and found someone had been living aboard. While whoever it was had used various items and eaten ship stores, my friend decided the gear left behind was fair trade.

I am apparently more anal than the average boat owner - I would not want people to access or sail a boat I am living in without my permission. So what are the reasonable, tried and true ways of securing your boat - wherever you happen to sail it?

Thanks.

Edited by dweste (08/27/08 07:15 PM)

#146205 - 08/27/08 07:16 PM Re: Sailboat security [Re: dweste]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Sleep with one eye open and never leave the boat wink

#146210 - 08/27/08 07:19 PM Re: Sailboat security [Re: Todd W]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: ToddW
Sleep with one eye open and never leave the boat wink

Pardon me. I should have specified that I was looking for practical anal-retentive solutions, but thanks for your well thought out plan!

Edited by dweste (08/27/08 07:19 PM)

#146214 - 08/27/08 07:23 PM Re: Sailboat security [Re: dweste]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Isn't there a saying "IF a thief wants it they will get it" ?
I think your best bet is to lock the hatches, and not keep anything on deck, keep it tied more than 2 locations while in the marina, and maybe ask someone staying nearby to keep an eye on it and 'bug' anyone who trys to board that isn't you smile

#146219 - 08/27/08 07:52 PM Re: Sailboat security [Re: Todd W]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
replace the bow line with a chain and lock.

#146223 - 08/27/08 08:19 PM Re: Sailboat security [Re: big_al]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Originally Posted By: big_al
replace the bow line with a chain and lock.

That and install good locks. I don't see a boat any harder to lock then other things. if it has a hinge, it gets a lock.

I see it more of a concern to protect a solar panel & wind generator then to lock up the boat.

Solar panels are expensive and will be a target for a thief.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#146231 - 08/27/08 08:42 PM Re: Sailboat security [Re: big_al]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I was assigned to the caretaker crew of two old 255' Lake class cutters tied up @ TRACEN Alameda, Government Island. I'm on the midwatch, it's 0200 and I'm drinking coffee and listening to KPFA and MUSIC FROM THE HEARTS OF SPACE. Berthed just aft of the cutters was a fishing trawler seized for smuggling pot.

I was just starting my rounds when I saw a small boat come alongside the trawler and three guys board her. I got on the phone and yelled "3 intruders on the trawler. I need HELP!" The sandcrab, just out of Yoeman A school girl on watch informed me nobody could possibly slip past the gate guards at the causeway entrance.I yelled an expletive and hung up, grabbed a fireaxe and raced down the gangplank and toward the trawler. The 3 figures saw me and fled.

I'm walking back and our 'base security' decided I had 'abandoned my post' and tried to sieze my Detex clock and logbook. I'm ordering this seaman deuce to back off and he's refusing. FINALLY, an hour later the newly commisioned ensign strolls over and explains he was "napping when the call came in."

I'm brought up on charges by the CPO of the base security detail, I'm bringing charges on the SA and suddenly get called into the JAG's office. And there are 3 CGI ( Coast Guard Intelligence) who said I 'scared the blankety- blank' out of them running down the pier with that axe overhead. The base CO took early retirement, the ensign went to the french Frigate Shoals and the SA given real sea duty.

The whole base was under investigation for theft and several security breaches. That was during the unhappy, post Vietnam period. But my point is, that was 'The world's largest Coast Guard' and you cannot depend on other's watchfullness -ever. Get some good locks, and few people have enough skill to sail a boat out of a marina. Pull a sparkpug or rotor off the engine.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (08/27/08 08:47 PM)

#146244 - 08/27/08 09:30 PM Re: Sailboat security [Re: dweste]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I suspect that sailboats, like RV's, are pretty hard to lock up securely. So you do the best you can do, keeping in mind that locks really only keep honest people out anyway. Assuming that your sailboat can not make it away from the dock under sail, a motor of some kind being needed, I would just yank the coil wire or something...

#146247 - 08/27/08 09:38 PM Re: Sailboat security [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
I suspect that sailboats, like RV's, are pretty hard to lock up securely. So you do the best you can do, keeping in mind that locks really only keep honest people out anyway. Assuming that your sailboat can not make it away from the dock under sail, a motor of some kind being needed, I would just yank the coil wire or something...

That works too smile

#146249 - 08/27/08 09:50 PM Re: Sailboat security [Re: Todd W]
Fleetwing Offline
Stranger

Loc: Seattle
We have a classic, but older boat which is not "sexy" and state of the art so no one would want to steal it. Same with our cars. Good insurance.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.