The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#146443 - 08/29/08 01:43 AM Re: Sailboat security [Re: jjmagnum]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: jjmagnum
As Teacher mentioned getting to know your neighbors in the Marina is a plus. If there are some "semi-permanent" residents there they are usually a good source of information on who is roaming around the docks. After all, they don't want nefarious types around their "houses" either.

As with hunting cabins, or other vacation property, never store anything there you aren't prepared to lose.

My understanding is that while it is always a good idea to remain on good terms with marina management many of these organizations are far more interested in collecting rent than providing protection. Many marinas have no practical physical security present. If it has gates they are often disabled, broken, easily bypassed and seldom is there anyone watching. Often a thief just has to follow someone in. I have never seen one with any security on the water side.

Getting friendly with any live-aboard occupants in the marina are IMHO far more likely to get end up seeing concerned and watchful eyes on your boat. Marina managers are often just doing a minimum job. Live-aboard sailors have a much more vested interest in keeping thieves away. They are not only looking out for your sailboat. They are looking out for their home. A higher level of motivation.

They are also often the main, sometimes the only, protection if any alarm goes off while your away. In large marinas where the vast majority are once-a-month weekenders an alarm can sound until the battery dies before anyone bothers to see what the commotion is about. Boat owners can easily show up and find their dock lines, still tied to the boat, leading underwater.

Live-aboard sailors can be busybodies but they are also the ones who retie lines that have come loose, ask suspicious people what they are doing and who will act when your bilge alarm sounds at 2AM. Many marina owners actively exclude live-aboard sailors because they are 'high maintenance'. Sad because they can also be the heart of a community in a marina.

#146451 - 08/29/08 02:20 AM Re: Sailboat security [Re: Art_in_FL]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
The marinas I have found so far almost all prohibit live aboards. One exception is isolated, has no shore amenities, and has an enterance that is silted in so at low tide there is about two feet of water. Another has a length limit that the potential new boat exceeds substantially. The third has no openings. Still in the hunt.

I am looking at a high security yacht club as a last resort. Even though they bar live aboards they are very convenient, have great amenities, and an active membership activity schedule. Occasional overnights are not supposed to be a problem. I can crash at the office once in a while, and I am also looking to rent a room at a friend's house.

If the boat does well with its surveys and comes home to Stockton, it will acquire as much security as practical.

#146454 - 08/29/08 02:29 AM Re: Sailboat security [Re: dweste]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Around here it’s not uncommon to see people living on a boat, I have a friend, he and his wife lived on a 45-foot boat all winter while he was having a home built.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#146487 - 08/29/08 01:00 PM Re: Sailboat security [Re: dweste]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I haven't played around the Delta in many a year, but I seem to recall a lot of rich guy type houses with private docks. I wonder if you could locate a vacant "weekend getaway" type of house, and work out a deal to be a liveaboard your own boat housesitter at one of them? The home owner would get a measure of security, you would get a place to park/live. Maybe check with a realestate agent or something???

#146496 - 08/29/08 01:39 PM Re: Sailboat security [Re: OldBaldGuy]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
I wonder if you could locate a vacant "weekend getaway" type of house, and work out a deal to be a liveaboard your own boat housesitter at one of them?

Interesting idea, but I am pretty far along the path of another approach. I will keep it in mind, though. Thanks.

#146506 - 08/29/08 02:30 PM Re: Sailboat security [Re: dweste]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Funky, every marina in the area around me has live aboard's allowed. Another reason not to like CA I guess.

Edited by SBRaider (08/29/08 02:31 PM)

#146511 - 08/29/08 02:51 PM Re: Sailboat security [Re: Stu]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

it's a slippery slope:

grin

#146514 - 08/29/08 03:30 PM Re: Sailboat security [Re: bsmith]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: bsmith

it's a slippery slope:

grin

OK, I like it. A real "party" boat. grin

#146601 - 08/30/08 12:27 AM Re: Sailboat security [Re: Stu]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Funny, I thought it was the Louisiana governor's mansion.

It does say "GOVERNOR" on the side.

I can see the first lady sweeping down the executive staircase during the governor's ball.

On the plus side it isn't so likely to end up underwater. Unless that hull rusts through and it takes on water.

#146652 - 08/30/08 04:59 AM Re: Sailboat security [Re: Art_in_FL]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
of course that's our Guvnor's Mansion!!!

You ought to see the picture of the First Allimagator: "T-Boy",
he likes dem tourist,,especially tha yankee ones wid garlic butter, cher!!!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 207 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.