Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#146485 - 08/29/08 12:43 PM Fog horns...
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Insomnia is a bummer. I was laying awake last night, trying to count sheep or something, when the fog apparently came in, 'cuz we suddenly had two different fog horns going off nearby. So I started counting the seconds between one of them sounding. Turned out to be about 150 seconds, give or take a lot. I also noticed that the other horn went off more often. With all of the nautical talk that has been going around here, this made me wonder. I assume that there is a book, chart, something, somewhere, that tells how often any particular fog horn sounds, so that a mariner could time the sound, guestimate the direction, and have a clue where he/she might be. Is this true, and if so, where would one find this information? Sleepy minds want to know...

#146488 - 08/29/08 01:07 PM Re: Fog horns... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

on my way out the door, but, they are called aids to navigation (ATON) and come under the coast guard.

can be found on nautical charts, but only listed as 'horn'. no timing indicated.

someone, somewhere, may have this data in a book or on line...

lights are different. charts give height of the light, how far it can be seen, color and frequency.

horns can be deceiving, esp in the fog, which is when they run.

i know you have dial up, but you can readily find the sound of the golden gate horn online.

impressive!

add to your list of things to do when you come across broadband!

#146493 - 08/29/08 01:30 PM Re: Fog horns... [Re: bsmith]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

I could listen to it, even with the slowmo dialup! Sounds exactly like the two we listened to all night!

You want impressive, visit a lighthouse some day, and have them blow the horn with you standy nearby! Then imagine living there...

#146497 - 08/29/08 01:50 PM Re: Fog horns... [Re: bsmith]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: bsmith
i know you have dial up, but you can readily find the sound of the golden gate horn online.

I grew up in San Francisco and although we lived well away from the water and were much higher in elevation than the Golden Gate Bridge, I remember listening to the Golden Gate Bridge foghorn many a time from my house. The current foghorn was installed sometime in the 80's and I don't particularly like it. The original fog horn was the stereotypical sound we think of--a deep, baritone high-then-low blast. For me, besides the tinkling sound of a cable car bell, that old foghorn is the "sound" of San Francisco to me.

#146505 - 08/29/08 02:30 PM Re: Fog horns... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

sorry, couldn't remember this earlier, but there are a series of books called "coast pilot" from noaa. they are specific to areas around the country.

from the website:

http://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/nsd/coastpilot.htm

"Issued in nine volumes, they contain supplemental information that is difficult to portray on a nautical chart.

Topics in the Coast Pilot include channel descriptions, anchorages, bridge and cable clearances, currents, tide and water levels, prominent features, pilotage, towage, weather, ice conditions, wharf descriptions, dangers, routes, traffic separation schemes, small-craft facilities, and Federal regulations applicable to navigation."

they might have fog horn frequencies and durations, i seem to remember that they do.

invaluable - along w/charts and gps - when sailing to areas unknown.

#146509 - 08/29/08 02:43 PM Re: Fog horns... [Re: bsmith]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

obg, don't know how dialup handles pdf files, but if you go here: Coast Pilot 7 (1989) and scroll down to california etc you can peruse a historic coast pilot of the west coast from 1989 that i'm sure includes where you are. obviously there are updated versions of this, but it will give you an idea about what kind of info they have.

i was wrong. they don't appear to have fog horn data. at least for my area.

#146515 - 08/29/08 03:42 PM Re: Fog horns... [Re: bsmith]
camp_ontario Offline
Stranger

Just took my CYA Basic Keelboat (Canadian Yachting Association ) exam yesterday. I'm not 100% but Im pretty sure these regs are international.

The regs state that you need to sound your horn in fog at least once every 2 minutes AND after you hear one.

If your sounding more frequently than 2 minutes then you should give adequate time to hear other horns in between your blasts.

Power boats should use one long blast of 4-6 seconds.
Sailing vessels should use one long blast(4-5 seconds) followed by 2 short blasts(1 second each).

FYI _ I don't remeber reading/hearing anyting about the horn frequencies...thus to my knowledge any horn will do.

#146529 - 08/29/08 06:15 PM Re: Fog horns... [Re: camp_ontario]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Most regs require the horn to be audible 1 nm away.

it's in the 1972 ColRegs in the back next to lighting requirements.

#146602 - 08/30/08 12:27 AM Re: Fog horns... [Re: bsmith]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Thanks. We are currently in WA, not CA. I will try to sift thru all that info you provided, just to see what I find...

#146771 - 08/31/08 03:05 AM Re: Fog horns... [Re: ]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"... Please tell me you were near water..."

Oh yeah. Elevation, 'bout 15 ft above sea level, distance to the water, maybe 100 yards. Near a point with a horn, another one within two miles...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 444 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.