The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#146480 - 08/29/08 12:20 PM Baton Rouge runs out of bread ahead of storm
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio

#146481 - 08/29/08 12:29 PM Re: Baton Rouge runs out of bread ahead of storm [Re: el_diabl0]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Bummer. Another reason to always keep a loaf in the freezer I guess...

#146491 - 08/29/08 01:09 PM Re: Baton Rouge runs out of bread ahead of storm [Re: OldBaldGuy]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
I guess that means their recommended 72 hour food supply may be exhausted before the storm even makes landfall. shocked

It would be easier for me to be sad if it weren't so predictable.

#146498 - 08/29/08 01:54 PM Re: Baton Rouge runs out of bread ahead of storm [Re: el_diabl0]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Doesn't anyone make their own bread any more? I bet the flour and yeast were still available in the store, especially the wholemeal flour. Home baking skills today appear to be a dying art.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/29/08 01:54 PM)

#146502 - 08/29/08 02:15 PM Re: Baton Rouge runs out of bread ahead of storm [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Ah, what a friend of mine calls "French Toast Syndrome" - EVERYONE (no matter if they need it or not) runs out before a storm (usually winter storms here in the Northeast) and buys bread, eggs and milk. (even if they haven't used more than an egg in a month, and never drink milk)

During/after the storm, you can make nice french toast
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#146507 - 08/29/08 02:35 PM Re: Baton Rouge runs out of bread ahead of storm [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Doesn't anyone make their own bread any more? I bet the flour and yeast were still available in the store, especially the wholemeal flour. Home baking skills today appear to be a dying art.

Hey, it was 7 year old yeast. What did you expect?

#146510 - 08/29/08 02:49 PM Re: Baton Rouge runs out of bread ahead of storm [Re: el_diabl0]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I think bread runs out so quickly because a lot of people can't figure out how they would fix a meal without power or at least expect that it's something that won't go bad immediately if the power goes out and the refrigerator dies.

Speaking of bread, I wonder if that store stocks B&M canned Brown Bread and if so if it was sold out as well. I was telling a friend about canned bread recently and she didn't believe that it existed even though it was next to the chili starter sauce that she often buys.

On a side note, I'd always like to see if the local Wal-Mart is sold out of Coleman Stoves.

#146522 - 08/29/08 05:35 PM Re: Baton Rouge runs out of bread ahead of storm [Re: el_diabl0]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Don't overlook the other items mentioned in the"sold out of list", flashlights, batteries, bottled water. At least there's still time for 1 more resupply of stores/gas stations before Gustave arrives.

I caught several comments in Louisiana chat rooms last night, that gas stations in Calcasieu Parish (Lake Charles) were already running out of gas.

DW was curious and researched hotel/motel reservations. She confirmed that all hotels/motels are booked as far north as Little Rock, Tn.

I have some perturbing thoughts in regard to the people being evacuated via bus. What are their temporary destinations and accommodations be??? Foolish thoughts or not, I wouldn't be too enthusiastic about accepting a bus ride from my dear ole Uncle Sammy. Think back to 1 or 2 threads that we've had about the "Crisis Relocation Camps" that FEMA has been building.

I, personally, will assume HurCon III tonight. My DW will make the "stay or Bug Out decision" by noon tomorrow based on the latest predictions. Right now, we are directly in the bullseye. For my location, a hurricane will have dropped 1 category from when it makes landfall to when it reaches us.

Once again, my DW has time to take care of business because she has a husband who has preps in place. What a compliment for a hubby to receive from his DW!!!!

#146527 - 08/29/08 06:04 PM Re: Baton Rouge runs out of bread ahead of storm [Re: wildman800]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Another report for whom it may concern:

Brookhaven, Ms & McComb, Ms (both on I-55) are out of gasoline.

Walmart Stores in the affected areas have approx. 5,000 trucks enroute to their Louisiana and Mississippi stores to resupply them. Those trucks were leaving their warehouses last night (Thursday).

1 hotel in Natchez, Ms has increased their daily rates to $300.00 and they are sold out.

#146546 - 08/29/08 09:45 PM Re: Baton Rouge runs out of bread ahead of storm [Re: wildman800]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Wait a second... They raised the rate for a special "sleep in the rain for all we care" promotion just for Gustav? Last time I looked, most states still had profiteering laws on the books.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.