#146385 - 08/28/08 07:15 PM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: dweste]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: dweste
Originally Posted By: SBRaider
Now where the heck should I sail to in a wide-scale emergency situation?

Very Simple. "Some place the "emergency situation" isn't, and where you have a a sure thing getting of supplies".

I am sure I did something in a former life so that I deserve that repsonse.

Nonetheless, assuming I sailed out under the Golden Gate Bridge safely into the Pacific Ocean because at least all of central California and the SF Bay were coping with some emergency situation, would you turn left / south, right / north, or perhaps just keep going to the Hawaiian Islands? Are there specific locations you would head to / avoid??

I wasn't trying to be a smart a$$.
I would have plans set up for all directions along with available navagation charts, and when the time comes, pick the best one to get you out of trouble. A list of places to resupply in all directions would not hurt you. Suppose you plan to go south as your bug out route, and the problem is south, you might be heading into the problem.
With a sailboat, a set of wind charts, and water current info might be very handy.

#146398 - 08/28/08 09:09 PM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: Stu]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
SBRaider is right.

you need to have contingency plans for all directions.

for example, out of san francisco bay turning right will send you "uphill" - against the typical currents and wind. unless you head straight out and then turn right once you're capable of a 'reach' to head north. "reach" = more to learn. but where are you going?

if you go straight, hawaii is about 30 days. are you supplied with charts, gps / sextant, water and food to get there?

if you turn left, you're going 'downhill' - with the typical current and winds. but where are you going? santa cruz, monterey, santa barbara, l.a. or mexico - which has its own set of issues?

the point is, your horizons are unlimited, you just need to think about where you would go if there was a problem and then be stocked and prepared to go there.

to travel in a vehicle on land is one thing - in a sailboat you need to be exceptionally self-reliant.

once out of s.f. bay on the way to hawaii there are no marinas. seems simple, no offense intended, but just think about all of the issues. overwhelming? yes. doable? you will surprise yourself!

#146399 - 08/28/08 09:11 PM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: dweste]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...a wide-scale emergency situation..."

A "wide scale" situation will undoubtedly take in all of the SF Bay and Delta area. The coast south of SF is somewhat more populated than to the north, or at least it used to be. So, depending on what the emergency situation is of course, I am thinking north. Maybe as far as Ft. Bragg, or even Eureka, although that is quite a distance. I would assume (always a dangerous undertaking) that there would be some protected anchorages somewhere in the Point Reyes National Seashore area, but you would have to bring all provisions. There are also a few state parks/beaches along the way where, if you have a dingy/liferaft, you could probably get potable water and maybe take a shower. That is my best non-sailor guess...

#146402 - 08/28/08 09:35 PM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: Stu]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
[quote=SBRaiderI wasn't trying to be a smart a$$. [/quote]

I know. I am just reacting a bit to the enormity of expanding my bug out horizons to include where I could conceivably sail. My land-based 3-day overland by foot bug out route pales in comparison.

#146403 - 08/28/08 09:41 PM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

That terrible sound is my mind being forced to expand its context. Three days of normal sailing would put me at least 100 miles into the Pacific Ocean some direction from San Francisco. Never been there, never done that.

Survival afloat is a whole different thing. Wind, tides, currents, weather, etc. require a new look at my would-be environment.

It's kind of a scary-exciting feeling to be such a rookie, again.

#146406 - 08/28/08 09:54 PM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: dweste]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

I am just reacting a bit to the enormity of expanding my bug out horizons to include where I could conceivably sail.

this will all take time. take bite-sized pieces. you'll get there!

My land-based 3-day overland by foot bug out route pales in comparison.

yeah, but just think of all of those other people you won't be seeing or fighting for space or resources for.

first, learn how to motor and handle the boat in the inland waters.

second, graduate to putting up one sail.

graduate to two sails.

then graduate to sailing in s.f. bay. wow!

once you feel comfortable in the bay, head out into the pacific. guaranteed you'll have the biggest smile on your face as you pass under the golden gate! not many folks get to see it from that angle.

it's a new goal for you.

talk to a lot of sailing / boating folks. i think you'll find a real sense of community there. they tend to look out for each other.

#146409 - 08/28/08 10:06 PM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: bsmith]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

oh, and go to the library or a big book seller and look for "chapman's". it's kind of the bible for all things nautical. check it out of the library and when funds ease up you might find an older copy to buy - these things don't change all that much.

and "royce" is the book about sailing. you can teach yourself.

or find some guy or gal who's sailed before and will trade a ride in your boat for educating you about sailing in the process. lots of them out there. you'll find 'em. especially if they know you're a rookie!

#146410 - 08/28/08 10:08 PM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: bsmith]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

I am comfortable sailing and motoring in the relatively calm inland waters of the Delta, though not with this new boat. Gaining that comfort through cautious experiment will be the first goal.

I loved the few times I sailed on the Bay! Look forward to sailing my own boat there.

I foresee a few classes and volunteering to crew other people's boats from time to time. Hopefully, when the student is ready the teacher will come!

#146411 - 08/28/08 10:09 PM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: bsmith]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...pass under the golden gate..."

Doin' that on the 21st of next month! Sure, on a big white cruise ship instead of driving my own little bitty boat, but still, we're goin' under the bridge!!!

#146413 - 08/28/08 10:22 PM Re: Sailboat bug out / bug in [Re: OldBaldGuy]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

hope you have a great trip!

and the view from underneath is really something!

Page 8 of 11 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.