Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >
Topic Options
#146365 - 08/28/08 05:22 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: bsmith]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: bsmith
i loved the two years i lived on that boat.

I loved the 4 summers I lived on my boat. Wish to this day I had not sold it. I'm hoping to be living aboard next summer, if my plans and $$$ come through.

#146366 - 08/28/08 05:23 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: Stu]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: SBRaider
A boat I'm looking at has a galley with a propane stove/oven near the main hatch (20 pound tank), with a 1 pound bottle propane grill off the stern rail. If I get it, I plan to hard plumb the bottle grill to the main propane system, and to add a 1 or 2 burner attachment to the grill, or have it somewhere in the cockpit near the stern. This should cut way down on cooking odors and grease buildup in the cabin.

I hope you like fresh fish. Catch and cook your own.

Do you plan on working? You might also want a mail drop of pick a berth in a marina that will hold your mail for you.

Wireless Internet is a way to go, many marinas have "Wi-Fi" on location. Laptops with several batteries may be very workable.

All good stuff. I am pretty handy around the galley. The boat I am looking at has the same type grill-stove combo; I will consider your ideas. Love the fishing and the fish - but all are polluted in my area. Will work. Already have a mail / forwarding service set up. Using wireless internet now; will have a set on the boat.

Thanks for the great thoughts!

#146369 - 08/28/08 05:32 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

I am starting research on equipment to make fresh water, respecting the Rule of Threes.

#146373 - 08/28/08 05:42 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: Stu]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

Learn your boat, learn your boat, learn your boat. Learn to do most if not all of the repairs needed for your boat, and have the tools to do them on board with you.

AMEN!

and plan on having to do repairs by yourself, at night, without light, while the boat's moving. sure, you probably will have light, but that's icing on the cake.

so much comes back to me - make sure you know where all of your bilge spaces are and how to get to them in a hurry. and don't put anything on top of any of the floorboards / bilge covers that can't be removed in a heartbeat.

bilge spaces can make great hiding places for things - just make sure whatever is waterproofed. typically you'll find water / fuel stored here.

#146374 - 08/28/08 05:48 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: dweste
I am starting research on equipment to make fresh water, respecting the Rule of Threes.

Don't forget the easy one - RAIN! smile

#146378 - 08/28/08 05:55 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: bsmith]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: bsmith

Learn your boat, learn your boat, learn your boat. Learn to do most if not all of the repairs needed for your boat, and have the tools to do them on board with you.

AMEN!

bilge spaces can make great hiding places for things - just make sure whatever is waterproofed. typically you'll find water / fuel stored here.

I am almost overwhelmed. But I am also excited! My "spare" time is filled with reading about sailboat rigging and anchoring, my dreams with ocean cruising. I'm guessing it will take a few busy years before the boat and I will be ready to do much cruising the Pacific Coast.

Best bilge use I have read so far: cases of things to drink that should be chilled / cooled.

#146380 - 08/28/08 06:10 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

A mid-sized dog is a wonderful alarm system, and a good anti-theft deterrent. A trained boat dog is a nice friend to have with you also. Many boats sailing out the marina near me have a dog or two aboard.
You just need to figure out a place for the dog to do it's business.

#146400 - 08/28/08 09:34 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: bsmith]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
You can also hard boil eggs for later eating. You can reheat one in a microwave, but you probably won't have one of those. Or will you? You can also reheat one in hot water. You then mash it up into instant scrabbles eggs. Or something similar...

#146408 - 08/28/08 10:02 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: OldBaldGuy]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Okay, back to basics. When in doubt make a list.

Water: storage, desalization, sources away from home, money.

Shelter: the boat, ditch bag bivy? ?PSK?

Food: ship's stores. ditch bag supplies, fishing gear, crab/lobster traps, diving, money ?PSK?

Fire: ship's stove, ship's barbecue, ditch bag stove, survival gear, ?PSK?

First aid / hygiene: boat kit, ditch bag kit, ?PFAK?

Navigation: charts, compass, GPS, stars-sun, internet?

Signaling: VHF, Coast Guard required gear, cell phone, email? ?EPIRB? signal mirror, boat flags,

Light: ship gear, ditch bag gear, ??

Self-protection: nav lights, sound-signals, training, improvised,

Morale: training, experience,

And now I need to take a break,

#162660 - 01/12/09 06:22 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

It is back on.

Different boat: 1977 Albin Scampi, 29'9" LOA, 9'9" beam, 4'6" draft, fiberglass hull, wood stringers, 20 HP Yanmar diesel, alcohol stove, electric refrigerator that runs on shore power off battery and inverter.

After the basics I am going to try to increase the "cruisability" of the boat with larger tanks, solar power, LED nav lights, better electronics, laptop with internet and wi-fi ability, better and more running and anchor gear. It is going to take a while.

I will take a navigation class or two and probably some basic classes geared toward self-sufficient coastal cruising north and south of the San Franciso Golden Gate Bridge. But for now, cruising and gunk-holing in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta.

Edited by dweste (01/12/09 06:23 PM)

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (adam2), 444 Guests and 319 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.