Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#146129 - 08/27/08 01:41 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: OldBaldGuy]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Yesterday's boat inspection went pretty well. This topic may soon become a much more immediate, real world concern.

Edited by dweste (08/27/08 01:42 PM)

#146159 - 08/27/08 04:58 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Great, keep us posted...

#146174 - 08/27/08 05:48 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

So you don't get discouraged at inevitable setbacks, read Farley Mowat's THE BOAT THAT WOULDN'T FLOAT and Jack London's CRUISE OF THE SNARK.

The inevitable GUN has been mentioned. My personal favourite boatgun is a SMLE. The things hold 10 rounds, are capable of VERY rapid controlled fire, are near impervious to climate and have sloppy chambers that digest the worst of ammo ( But buy a nice supply of fresh rounds, and if possible load up a box of aussie RINO 215 grainers.) You can still find them relatively cheap, and if one has been Frankensteined into a sporter even less. get one of the later versions with peep sights.

If you cannot afford, or do not want firearms, buy a box of big nails and scrap lumber and make pungy boards. A famous solo sailor was surrounded by hostile natives in the 19th century. He merely scattered TACKS on the deck and went below for tea.

DO NOT change your boat's name. It's bad luck.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (08/27/08 05:50 PM)

#146186 - 08/27/08 06:12 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: Chris Kavanaugh]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego
Ahh a nother bloke that likes the smelly, a lot of my friend with newer wepons laugh at my SMLE untill I touch off one of those 303's and they see the results. It's not black, It's not short and It's not light. But it sure dose shoot.

#146246 - 08/27/08 09:35 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: big_al]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...It's not short and It's not light..."

You have the wrong one then, get a Number 5 "Jungle Carbine"...

#146353 - 08/28/08 04:50 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

i didn't see it in any of the above replies, but 'one hand for you and one hand for the boat' might save you from hurting yourself or falling overboard while underway. the boat will always lurch when you least expect it. and you'll get used to doing things one handed.

as mentioned above - when solo, always always wear a harness and keep yourself tied to the boat.

get in the habit of keeping everything secured - tied down. that lurching around can and will launch everything.

we thought the stove / oven was secured in the new boat - until we weathered a storm. the boat lurched, the oven door opened (it had a closure pin that wasn't in place) and launched cookie sheets and pots and pans stored in the oven across the cabin, the cooktop's burner restraints weren't tight enough and the half full - thankfully cold water - teapot was also launched across the cabin, and the stove came out of its built-in space. only the gas line held it in place.

needless to say this all occurred in the dark while it really stormed. scared the beejeezus out of my dad who was soundly sleeping in the dining area berth and was the recipient of the pans, water and teapot.

funny now, wasn't then.

i loved the two years i lived on that boat.

#146356 - 08/28/08 04:59 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: dweste]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Start making a list of the canned and packaged foods you like. Fresh food storage space is limited in many boats, and freezer space is almost non-existent. Canned veggies will prob. end up replacing fresh and frozen veggies.

Frozen meats may be a thing of the past. Get yourself a vacuum sealer, meats can be vacuum sealed and last much longer at temps under 60 degrees f. You can buy a slab or 5 of cured bacon, that does not require refrigeration. Same with Country Hams. Tuna, Salmon, chicken now comes in foil pouches, that don't need refrigeration.

Economy sided cans are out unless you have a way to store and use the leftovers before they go bad.

Learn to cook with raw ingredients, and not use many convenience packaged items. The raw ingredients can be used in many dishes, while "Hamburger Helper" is just basically that. Herbs and spices will add much flavor to your meals.

Think simple until you get to know your galley, and it's limitations.

A boat I'm looking at has a galley with a propane stove/oven near the main hatch (20 pound tank), with a 1 pound bottle propane grill off the stern rail. If I get it, I plan to hard plumb the bottle grill to the main propane system, and to add a 1 or 2 burner attachment to the grill, or have it somewhere in the cockpit near the stern. This should cut way down on cooking odors and grease buildup in the cabin.

I hope you like fresh fish. Catch and cook your own.

Do you plan on working? You might also want a mail drop of pick a berth in a marina that will hold your mail for you.

Wireless Internet is a way to go, many marinas have "Wi-Fi" on location. Laptops with several batteries may be very workable.

Edited by SBRaider (08/28/08 05:14 PM)

#146357 - 08/28/08 05:08 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: Stu]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
eggs don't need refrigeration. as long as you turn them end for end a couple of times a week they can last for - as i recall - up to about three weeks. but when they go, they go. and you'll know it.

#146361 - 08/28/08 05:18 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: bsmith]
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Originally Posted By: bsmith
eggs don't need refrigeration. as long as you turn them end for end a couple of times a week they can last for - as i recall - up to about three weeks. but when they go, they go. and you'll know it.

You are correct. Have them stored low in the boat, it can be cooler there. Any eggs that crack must be used or discarded immediately IMHO.

#146362 - 08/28/08 05:18 PM Re: Indefinite survival on the water [Re: bsmith]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Originally Posted By: bsmith

i didn't see it in any of the above replies, but 'one hand for you and one hand for the boat' might save you from hurting yourself or falling overboard while underway.

we thought the stove / oven was secured in the new boat - until we weathered a storm.

Good post. Thanks for the advice!

Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.